Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River July 26th  (Read 3125 times)

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
Fraser River July 26th
« on: July 26, 2004, 01:34:28 PM »

Went out this morning in hunt of those elusive Sockeye today and that's exactly what they appeared to be.

Decided to try my skill  ;D at Laidlaw today but it wasn't working out to well. Had two sockeye on and one just a few feet from shore but I was fishing on a rock embankment and couldn't get it netted by myself on time before it got away. Only say 3 fish on (+ my 2)the whole morning! One spring and two sockeye. I saw one guy walk out with a fish and that's it. When I walked passed everyone on the way out I didn't see a single fish on shore.

It's not worth taking to the time to go out there now as the crowds are pretty bad. Your better off going to the vedder for some spring action.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
Re:Fraser River July 26th
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 03:20:22 PM »

Almost as many as last Saturday, probably 40- 60. It was packed all the way up and down the bar except this one prime section for some reason when I was leaving.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 08:22:51 PM »

Alright I know i'm not the only one who went Sockeye fishing today! How did the rest of you make out? Give a report please good or bad we won't laugh  ;D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 08:36:10 PM »

Fish 4 life...Try next week.  The weekend at the earliest.  Don't bother for 2-3 days after a commercial opening unless you like to practice.

transplantednewf

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 11:18:51 PM »

Regarding Commercial Openings....Area 29
Gill Nets open 12 hrs, 09:00 to 21:00 Tuesday, July 27 in Subareas 29-1 to 29-7
and 29-9 to 29-17.The maximum aggregate length of gill net permitted on the
drum of the vessel is 200 fathoms. Maximum mesh size is 140 mm (approximately
5.5 inches). Maximum depth 60 meshes.  Maximum hang ratio 3:1.  Maximum
corkline to web distance 45 cm.  V.O. # 2004-STN-001
 Theres not a whole lot on the test fishery right now and, as gruman said, its best to wait until the weekend

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 11:25:30 PM »

Any good site to look up the test fisheries for sockeye & spring?  I used to have a site showing catches at various spots like Wonnock etc., but somehow lost it.  The Albion test fishery seems to be only for spring, and you get a phone number to call instead of a report.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 11:27:54 PM by funfish »

Bantam_50

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 11:31:42 PM »

Thought I post this once before....but here it is again.

http://www.psc.org/TestFish/SummPage.htm

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 11:46:41 PM »

Thanks Bantam_50.  That is the one site I lost track.  Thank you.  By the way Whonnock & Cottonwood?  Where about are these locations?  Is Whonnock the same as Whonnock Lake area of the Fraser?  Just want to time how many days the fish will move up to the favourite bars from the catch areas.

dboy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 03:26:46 PM »

Bump for funfishes question.

I heard that cottonwood and whonnock are near the stave, but Im not sure. Anybody know??

Also how long does it take for the fish to migrate up to the Aggasiz/Hope area. I would think a commercial onpening in the lower fraser would allow for some good fishing for a few days before the "gap" made its way upstream

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 04:27:04 PM »

not sure about cottonwood but whonnock(albion) test fishery happens just east of the town of Haney, or Fort Langley on the other side of the river,Just downstream of the Stave mouth..I have also read here that it takes 3 or 4 days for a salmon to make it up river as far as Hope.

Bone Cross

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 05:40:15 PM »

I guess Im lucky I ended up with my limit of sockeye on both saterday and sunday. Did happen to hook into 3 springs the whole weekend but not a good enough hook set. Im gonna try my luck again on friday after work.
from a Redneck point of View!