Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poachers  (Read 5242 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Poachers
« on: October 21, 2005, 03:48:28 PM »

I am not going to name this system but the system is not relevant anyways. Just found out from a friend that a DFO officer came to him and told him some poaching of coho has taken place in a small system.  People are going and taking these coho and than going back and getting more then their allowed limit.

People if you are going to be fishing these small systems please check the regs before going to them. Allot of them only have small returns and that is why their is the retention limit in place.

Their is no excuse for not knowing its just pure ignorance

Edited by mod to prevent excessive fishing pressure on stream in particular.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 04:55:16 PM by The Boss »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Re: Poachers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 04:46:36 PM »

Did the DFO officer mention if they had actually caught anyone doing this stuff?  Were there any penalties involved?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 04:54:29 PM »

I didnt speak to the officer a contact of mine did. He did tell me that their were no fines handed out only that people were caught doing it. From the way he told me it looks like the poachers were called in on a few occasions from the general public and not the DFO catching them in action. I cant understand that if the DFO knows this is taking place why they dont take more action. Hopefully they start.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 04:59:37 PM »

Cuz dfo is a joke what do you think. The best they can do is just shake their fists at you from the other side of the river. ;D
[

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 05:14:56 PM »

Thats not totally true. I have seen them in action at the Stave when it gets very busy. I think they need to bump up funding and hire more officers. Unfortunately its the government thats to blame for this with the lack of funding. I never blame the officers themselves as they are just doing their job. I tell you I don't mind paying a bit more in taxes if it went into the right places.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 05:38:07 PM »

Yah they do something sometimes but i dont think it makes up for the times they dont do anything.
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 05:44:08 PM »

Yah they do something sometimes but i dont think it makes up for the times they dont do anything.

I'm sorry...

>:(

Are you accompanying all DFO officers during their working hours? What's backing up your claim that they are not doing anything?

FYI, DFO enforcement officers in the Fraser Valley do whatever they can to get their job done, sometimes that means working overtime without getting paid. The fact that a call is not attended (BTW floater, are you claiming this as you have phoned in violations and saw no officers attending?) does not mean they are not working. Many times they have to juggle between violations, to see which ones they should allocate more energy and time on. Would you crack down a night poacher who is taking out dozens of fish at night or a group of misinformed anglers who are using barbed hooks?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 06:04:18 PM »

Rodney, this kid obviously doesn't have any facts and hes not worth the energy. As  recreational fishermen all we can do is record, and report violations. Once we do that its out of our hands. Just do what you are able to do set out by the laws. If you want to make any difference attend meetings, make contributions, and write letters. These are things that people like Short Floater don't do so like I said a waste of energy.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 06:39:04 PM »

Huh eddie i dont have any facts? what facts do you have about your very sad attacks againts me? none what so ever therefore your just another hipocrite. I think your not worthe the enegery all you did during the sockeye seasson is start arguments about flossing. If you like to make such a big difference why didnt go to every bar and inform all the fishermen how to fish.

Rodney yes i have phoned to report violations on the vedder and they officers never come. Second yah your right they get too many calls as it is and dont have enough man power but whos fault is that? we pay taxes a hell of a lot of texas and where does all that money go? If one of the most important resources canada has isant worth putting a nice chunk of the taxes into than what the freak is?
[

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 06:52:51 PM »

obviously we should spend all of our money on disasters in foreign countries before fixing our own :-[

Your absolutely right!!!

Floater I am not wasting my time since you cant even form sentences or spell.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 10:35:14 PM by Rodney »

Belong to the "4 F Club"

No_way

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 06:58:08 PM »

Huh eddie i dont have any facts? what facts do you have about your very sad attacks againts me? none what so ever therefore your just another hipocrite. I think your not worthe the enegery all you did during the sockeye seasson is start arguments about flossing. If you like to make such a big difference why didnt go to every bar and inform all the fishermen how to fish.

Rodney yes i have phoned to report violations on the vedder and they officers never come. Second yah your right they get too many calls as it is and dont have enough man power but whos fault is that? we pay taxes a hell of a lot of texas and where does all that money go? If one of the most important resources canada has isant worth putting a nice chunk of the taxes into than what the freak is?

What the freak is?  Well, I can tell you that a few dozen salmon in some little creek is not one of Canada's major resources.  That's a fact.  I'm sorry, but there is not enough man power to put a DFO officer within sight of every piece of salmon baring stream.  And even if there was, that would be a bunch of money better spent.  I DFO worker walking the Lower Frazer will catch far more violations than one doing a stake-out in some little river.  It's a pure cost benifit analisis:  What will get the most gain for the all too little money spent.  Even with more money people are going to poach and get away with it; to think otherwise is folly.

Does there need to be more money?  Yes.
Does it need to be better managed?  Yes.
Does that mean every phoned-in violation will illicit an immediate responce from some sports car driving driving DFO rapid responce team?  Of course not.
Does that mean DFO doesn't do anything? No, in fact it means that they have better things to do that meet Floater's expectations.

PS:  Floater, please, please, please make use of the spell checker.  Rod has kindly provided it at no additional charge.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 08:08:41 PM »

No way im talking about salmon as a whole not just a single systems fish.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 08:15:44 PM by Rodney »
[

No_way

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 08:13:37 PM »

I understand, but that was my point exactly.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 08:16:09 PM by Rodney »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 09:47:48 PM »

BTW for anyone that doesn't have the link to the regs for region 2 here it is:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 10:25:38 PM by Rodney »

Belong to the "4 F Club"