Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why not us!! 2 feet of snow in Buffalo NY, not a joke  (Read 2339 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Why not us!! 2 feet of snow in Buffalo NY, not a joke
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:25:32 AM »

Why not us!!

Okay, so if there is no global warming messing up the planet I'd love to here the naysayers explain this one:

2 feet of snow buries Buffalo

October 13, 2006

Associated Press

Bob Jaus tries to clear the snow in his roof during a major snowstorm in Clarence, N.Y., a suburb of Buffalo, today. (DAVID DUPREY/Associated Press)

BUFFALO, N.Y. — A rare early October snowstorm left parts of western New York blanketed with 2 feet of snow Friday morning, prompting widespread blackouts, closing schools and halting traffic.

The snow downed scores of tree limbs and toppled power lines, leaving more than 155,000 customers without electricity.

By early Friday, 14 inches of snow had been recorded at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport, with reports of 2 feet elsewhere, said Tom Paone, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. The snowfall was expected to continue throughout the morning, he said.

On Thursday, 8.3 inches of heavy snow set the record for the “snowiest” October day in Buffalo in the 137-year history of the weather service, said meteorologist Tom Niziol. The previous record of 6 inches was set Oct. 31, 1917.
“This is an extremely rare event for this early in the season,” Niziol said.

The Buffalo Police Department received more than 3,000 calls late Thursday and about two-thirds were related to the weather, Lt. James Watkins said.
“There are power lines going down all over the place,” he said.

Crews worked into the night to restore power, but many customers were expected to remain in the dark through the weekend and into next week, National Grid energy company spokesman Steve Brady said.

“This is extremely heavy snow and most of the trees still have most of their leaves, he said. “We can’t do a complete damage assessment until the snow stops falling.”
Dozens of schools were closed and states of emergency were declared in the City of Tonawanda, and towns of Cheektowaga, Elma, Lancaster, Akron, and Depew.
Unnecessary driving was banned in Buffalo and suburbs Amherst, Blasdell, Orchard Park and Hamburg.

“We have a condition where 80 percent of the roads are impassable,” said Lt. Stephen McGonagle of the Amherst Police Department.

Officials said the snowstorm caused flight delays and cancellations at Buffalo’s airport, which was shut down for almost two hours late Thursday.

Meanwhile, tree branches were strewn across the roads around the region. A large
box maple tree split in half, falling on Joan Casey’s home in Buffalo.

“The whole house shook,” Casey said. “We were very afraid. Originally I thought it was just the thunder, and then I came outside and I couldn’t believe it.”

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061013/NEWS99/61013005
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 07:44:19 AM by dennisK »

mojoman

• Old Timer
Re: Why not us!! 2 feet of snow in Buffalo NY, not a joke
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:34:45 AM »

I would call it the "Great Lakes effect"....just my thoughts...;)))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 07:41:16 AM »

I would call it the "Great Lakes effect"....just my thoughts...;)))

On Thursday, 8.3 inches of heavy snow set the record for the “snowiest” October day in Buffalo in the 137-year history of the weather service, said meteorologist Tom Niziol. The previous record of 6 inches was set Oct. 31, 1917.
“This is an extremely rare event for this early in the season,” Niziol said.

Well if it was an "effect" that would suggest it would relatively common phenomenon like a warm days in Calgary during February - but it seems this is actually a very rare event.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:01:41 PM »

My brother lives in Buffalo. ;D :o

He just phoned. No electricity until Monday.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 01:03:30 PM by Rodney »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 01:06:42 PM »

That looks more like 3~4 feet of snow.  :o
I do wonder what Vancouver would be like if we ever get that much snow.  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 01:09:13 PM »

This forum would be overloaded. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 01:41:22 PM »

That looks more like 3~4 feet of snow.  :o
I do wonder what Vancouver would be like if we ever get that much snow.  ;D

The city would come to a abrupt halt.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 04:43:31 PM »

I've seen it happen here and by the end of the storm you could hear water running-it all started to melt!
What a Mess!!!
City workers had to wear waders to clear clogged drains, people were housebound for days.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 06:15:06 PM »

Ya that was only 53 cm abit short of 2 ft. and it cleared the road way.  No cars.  It was peaceful. Well at least until it started to melt.

But look at that photo that is way more than what we got.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 06:19:37 PM »

Imagine you hardcore steelheaders fishing in 4 feet of snow.  ;D Bigsteel....  I can just picture your head poping out over a white river bank of snow. ;D
The Bigger The Better!