Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Latest Reports..Saltwater..Nanaimo Saltwater, June 2..  (Read 1108 times)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

Latest Reports..Saltwater..Nanaimo Saltwater, June 2..
« on: June 03, 2005, 11:38:25 AM »

The latest report from a very popular local guide operator over at Nanaimo..

On The Line  - June 2, 2005 Report

Silva Bay Salmon Derby 2005 is on June 18th and 19th. First prize is $1,500 for largest chinook, with 30 other prizes. Tickets locally at Silva Bay Marina, Pages, G and S, and Village Paint and Hardware. Tickets are $25 per rod, or $50 per family. Good luck to all entrants!

Chinook fishing has been good, except for the fact that seals are still taking their share of fish off the lines. The size and condition of the fish is tremendous, there seem to be quite a few fish in the midteen to early twenty pound range. These fish have been fighting as hard as any chinook I’ve encountered, and watching them rip around beside the boat is awe inspiring. Fishing is good off Thrasher, Grande to Whalebone, Entrance/Orlebar, the Fingers, and Neck Point. Lures of choice include Kripple K spoons, Coyotes in black/white, Rhys Davis teasers in clear green scale or purple haze, or the green/black splatterback hoochie. Depths range 120 to 140 feet.
Prawning still is slow, expect about 25 per trap. There are more commercial boats out than I’ve ever seen in the area, but they can’t be making much money unless they have better technique than I do. Some of the commercial lines are set offshore from Whalebone in 400 feet of water, although I can’t vouch for their effectiveness.

GOOD FISHING!