Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon from shore  (Read 4954 times)

Funeral Of Hearts

Sturgeon from shore
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:21:31 PM »

Is ther anywhere you can fish for stugeon in the lower mainland area from shore? Or is it not really done from shore? I have no boat... yet....

Thanks.

Toprod

Re: Sturgeon from shore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 04:17:11 PM »

Places I have caught them are the dock in sapperton in New West, Fraser Wharves in Surrey, under the Alex Fraser, along River road in Delta, and 2 Bit bar in Langley. Hang on tight!!!!!

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »

Hrmmm.. so it is possible to catch them from shore... i'll have to get out and try ... when i get the appropriate gear that is.. lol... im afaid my gear is a little too light at the moment....

rg500

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:51:02 PM »

Richmond anywhere along Dyke Road is a good place to start. Had good success there last year. Good luck.

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »

I've had some success around the Maple Ridge area.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 12:04:10 AM »

Is there any areas in chilliwack to fish for sturgeon from shore? I went with a buddy twice to fish off the island 22 dike in the deep slot and at jaspersons, last year in early May and had no luck. We moved every half hour, and werent sure if we were fishing the right spots. What kind of hours does one have to put in to earn one of these dinos?
The Bigger The Better!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 12:54:06 AM »

Is ther anywhere you can fish for stugeon in the lower mainland area from shore? Or is it not really done from shore? I have no boat... yet....

Thanks.
I didn't have a boat when I started fishing Sturgeon either, but hit up a couple docks near home, casted out as far as possible on an incoming tide right through high tide and a bit into out going and did pretty well.  There were also some bigger ons to be had and some nice fat ones in late july and august.  You just have to have some decent gear, cause well..... you can't really chase em. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Jona

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 04:59:20 AM »

Off the fishing dock in Surrey just east of the Patullo bridge. I've seen guys bring in up to 7 footers.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 07:25:01 AM »

Is there any areas in chilliwack to fish for sturgeon from shore? I went with a buddy twice to fish off the island 22 dike in the deep slot and at jaspersons, last year in early May and had no luck. We moved every half hour, and werent sure if we were fishing the right spots. What kind of hours does one have to put in to earn one of these dinos?

Yes there are some other good spots also. Moving every half hour isn't required, talk to the guys at Dart&tackle for some other good spots and techniques on it. Once you learn what kind of spot they like, it's just a matter of reading a take. As for time....I've had 2 fish days....I've also had 12 fish in a couple/few hours.

Chrome Assassin

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:23:11 PM »

I saw a guy catch what looked to be a decent one a 3 min drive up from the mission bridge on the hwy 1 side. There was also a few people walking dogs there so i think it's easy access.

shootntip

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 09:16:01 AM »

lots of spots to shore fish around mission.on abbotsford side of bridge miles of dyke to fish from, lots of parking.Mission side of river is better search between mission and dewdney for any road to river theres lots of spots.Landed 8.5' on mission side from shore.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 09:30:35 AM »

what about deas slough? anything in there?

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 07:06:09 PM »

I've had some success around the Maple Ridge area.

I am from Maple Ridge ( soon Merritt) and local fishers here have told me that sturgeon fishing in the area is good. Personally I have not tried sturgeon fishing yet, but it's on my "must do" list. :)
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/