Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anchor on a belly boat  (Read 4786 times)

Chromie

anchor on a belly boat
« on: May 07, 2008, 06:03:14 AM »

I was wondering how do people attach there anchor to their belly boat for chronie fishing. Do you just tie the rope on to any of the plastic rings? or does someone have a special way of doing it. I haven't fished in a belly boat for several years now because I have been using a Spratley, but this year the belly boat is coming out as lots of destinations will be walk in lakes.

Cheers Chromie

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
Re: anchor on a belly boat
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:45:11 PM »

To keep yourself straight with the wind, I would anchor off the back clip on the tube. If you tie off to the side, you will get moved around in the wind making it difficult to stay straight. If you do not stay straight, you will not get the direct contact with the indicator and will not be able to see the take.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 07:38:47 PM »

Rick's advice is best, but I have basically used a clip off the side and usually find myself not moving about too much.  You are just at a different angle, but for ease of grabbing your anchor line, the side clip is a decent option.  If you wanted to fish two rods, you'd really have to go with a bow or front mounted anchor.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 08:03:39 PM »

I agree with Rick that the best place for stability wise is the back of the boat, however, on many boats it is simply too inconvenient to position off the back. When I run an anchor off my boat I typically store it in the side pocket and run the anchor line directly off the side. It catches wind a little, but most days its never really too much of a problem.

If you want to talk about a crowded setup, here is a pic of my belly boat before I finally smartened up and got a pontoon. All the gear in this picture is what I normally would carry on me (anchor, two rods, net, and oars  :o )

Actions speak louder than words.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:16:38 PM »

I darn well agree with the oars BiffChan! Those tubes are a log in the water if your in the need of moving around quicker. Fine if you want to sit there and wait for the fish to come to you or your over a hot spot. Just trying some modifications to mine so that the oars do the stroking. If that doesn't work it's in the Buy&Sell. Anchors aweigh.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Chromie

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:21:37 AM »

Thanks guys, i will tie it to the side for now and see how it feels on the water. one more question what type of anchor do you guys use? rocks in bag or just a small down rigger ball?

Cheers Chromie

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »

I've got an 8 lbs cannonball and it holds reasonably well, especially when its sunk well into the substrate.