Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anchoring 17ft Closed Bow Fibreglass Boat in Fraser  (Read 1564 times)

robbo1970

Anchoring 17ft Closed Bow Fibreglass Boat in Fraser
« on: April 18, 2021, 12:39:49 PM »

Wanting to take my 17ft Thermoglass on to the lower Fraser, launching at Mission and fishing from Stave river to Sumas River.

My boat is a closed bow, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on anchoring. I have rigged up a stern anchor form cleat at the back to hitch ring on the front. Was hoping to use this idea, what kind of anchor would people recommend, chain length and so on.

Thanks, Rob

santefe

Re: Anchoring 17ft Closed Bow Fibreglass Boat in Fraser
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 01:19:36 PM »

David Murphy has a good video on anchoring on the BC outdoors website.

robbo1970

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 05:11:51 PM »

Thanks, I saw that one. I already have made up the rope from front to back, with a 4 inch ring and quick release in case we have to get rid of the anchor. Was wondering if anyone had ever done something similar in the Fraser, and how it worked.
Any suggestions on a type of anchor and so on

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 06:23:20 PM »

You can use a Danforth anchor but it wont be much good once you go high enough in the river where its mainly gravel.
Should be ok to the mouth of Sumas.

You want a decent chain at least the length of your boat.

Make sure you use zap straps and attach anchor at the front which will enable you to pull it out of a snag,sometimes.lol

Anyone who has fished that stretch any amount has at least one anchor they had to leave behind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR3Cw1uw-AY
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:25:45 PM by firstlight »

Paulo

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 09:31:43 AM »

use to have a 17' fiberglass similar to yours. I have anchored it all the way up to Mountain Bar and Pegleg. 25lb Fraser river anchor. 20' of 3/8" chain mechanically fastened to base of stem of anchor and zap strapped with 3 or 4 straps at top attachment. This is in case you get it snagged the straps will break and you can pull directly from reverse of the angle of the tines,(in theory). Attach 50 - 100' of 3/8" rope(min) to the chain. This worked for me and I never had a problem. I had to use the breakaway once, thankfully on a large spring and everything worked as it should.
Cheers

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »

Before anchoring I run my chart plotter is 3 modes. Traditional, down imaging and side imaging. Make sure the path up to and on top of you anchor point is clear of any debris. I have lost 2 anchors over the years. Theres everything from trees, cables, cars, tires and old boats on the bottom of the river. A good chartplptter will really help with anchoring.