Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ball bearings  (Read 5229 times)

hrenya

ball bearings
« on: November 11, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »

can someone explain to me whats that mean ?!

and pls if possible with example

1 reel got 7+1 bb
2 reel got 17+1 bb

whats the difference ?!

Daguru

Re: ball bearings
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »

The +1 usally means a roller bearing and usally the more bearings the better on the reel. More bearings allow the reel to be smoother.

hrenya

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 07:43:41 PM »

so the first number is number of small round metal pieces ?!

losos

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:14:53 PM »

First and second is the number of ball bearings and not necessarily the more ball bearings the smoother reel.

hrenya

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 05:04:40 PM »

so I got confused

losos

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »

With what?
Perhaps you are confused as to what ball bearing is.
It is two rings with balls between them. You can have any number of them in reels.
For example 7+1 bb means that 7 ball bearings are located in the main body where gears reside and 1 is located in roller line guide. In the past there were reels with no roller ball bearing.

hrenya

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »

the more ball bearings the smoother reel. as per daguru
not necessarily the more ball bearings the smoother reel. as per you

so whats the difference ?!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:19:12 PM »

--the quality of the material in the bearings.
--less good quality bearings can be smoother and last longer than many cheaper ones.

--cheap reels can be advertised with 8-10 bearing thus you think it must be good but in fact a quality reel with 3 may be smoother and last longer. The price and research of the brand will give you a better idea.
--bearings can  usually be changed.... some updgrade to ceramic or a different manufacturer for bearings
--Mikes reel repair carries bearing replacements for some reels.
--I would not get to hung up on the # and quality of bearings if you are getting a inexpensive reel.
--If you get a good quality second hand reel it may be worth it to have them changed.

Daguru

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »

A ball bearing is used to reduce rotational friction and support an axial load. there for keeps things straiter and smoother. It is not always the case and depends on the qaulity and make of the reel. For example a shimano stradic which Is a 6+1 reel is a lot smoother and will be able to generate a lot more cranking power than say a no name 16+1 reel. Also the +1 is a roller bearing or anti revers bearing and has nothing to do with the line rollers. It is used to stop the reel from reeling backwards.

Daguru

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 09:38:49 PM »

I can't think of a spinning reel without a ar bearing, but for example the Abu Ambassadeur s uses a check instead of a ar bearing like the Abu c3. The c3 will have instant anti reverse and the Ambassadeur s will have a bit of play before the reverse check clicks in.(after reeling in the Ambassadeur s u can reel it out a bit before it locks up)

hrenya

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 05:07:58 AM »

ty

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 07:35:03 AM »

OK - so here's a challenging question for all you ball bearing aficionados out there.  The Abu Garcia C3 states that it has 3 BB + 1RB.  But for the life of me, I can only find 2 BB's - each one located on either side of the spool.  There is an anti-reverse roller bearing were the shaft of the reel handle goes through.  But this is the RB, not a BB.  Where is the 3rd BB???

The same goes for the C4.  Abu states that this reel has 4 BB + 1RB.  There's 2 BB's (one on each end of the spool) plus one in the worm gear shaft (the BB here replaces the busing that's found on the C3).  So that's 3 BB's by my count.  Where is the 4th BB???  I'm not counting the anti-reverse bearing as a BB, it's a RB.

I've completely taken both reels apart, and studied the schematics extensively and cannot find the "extra" bearing!  Can anyone here provide some clarity for me?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:36:42 AM by FlyFishin Magician »

Daguru

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 09:56:11 AM »

I haven't played around with the newer c3 with the bent black handles, but all the ones prior to the bent handles have  two on each side of the spool and a ar bearing like you described. Mabe the new models have a a bearing for the levelwind like the c4? I'll take one apart this weekend to find out

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »

OK - so here's a challenging question for all you ball bearing aficionados out there.  The Abu Garcia C3 states that it has 3 BB + 1RB.  But for the life of me, I can only find 2 BB's - each one located on either side of the spool.  There is an anti-reverse roller bearing were the shaft of the reel handle goes through.  But this is the RB, not a BB.  Where is the 3rd BB???

The same goes for the C4.  Abu states that this reel has 4 BB + 1RB.  There's 2 BB's (one on each end of the spool) plus one in the worm gear shaft (the BB here replaces the busing that's found on the C3).  So that's 3 BB's by my count.  Where is the 4th BB???  I'm not counting the anti-reverse bearing as a BB, it's a RB.

I've completely taken both reels apart, and studied the schematics extensively and cannot find the "extra" bearing!  Can anyone here provide some clarity for me?

I understand that the number following the "C" is the total number of bearings. (C3=2BB+1RB, etc...)
I agree that  ABU's current statement is confusing. There is no third BB in the C3, or fourth BB in the C4.
Weird. ???

losos

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »

There is ball bearing on the side of screw ,for the lack of better term, where pawl is running.