Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Top end  (Read 2480 times)

MetalAndFeathers

Top end
« on: May 18, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »

Anyone know where i can buy the top part of a Dragonfly expedition 8 weight?I lost it last year while chum fishing as a huge chum did a beauty leap into the rapids...

thanks

bbwong

Re: Top end
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »

I don't think they have the top section for you since Dragonfly doesn't have any lifetime warranty.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »

contact Redl Sports as it's their housebrand:

http://www.redlsports.com/contact.html
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bbwong

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »

A friendly reminder. Each rod was built by a same blank. The ferrules may not be matched perfectly. It kind of like not worth to get the top section if you can get a whole new rod for $ 100 something.

Fisherama

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »

It shouldn't be hard to replace.  I've broken 2 Redl rods in the past, a trophy xl centrepin and a dragonfly 8wt rod.  Both times I brought it back to the shop where I bought it and they replaced the piece free, no questions asked.  The dragonfly rod I broke was bought 7-8 years prior.  It's worth a shot to see what the shop can do for you.   

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »

A friendly reminder. Each rod was built by a same blank. The ferrules may not be matched perfectly. It kind of like not worth to get the top section if you can get a whole new rod for $ 100 something.

the blank is formed on a metal mandrel - one for each piece of the rod. The blank is made in the far east (likely Korea but increasingly China) and produced in large numbers sold under many brand names. They just have to match a new tip from the same mandrel to the butt - either they have a stock at the distributor or they can id the mandril and order one from stock at the manufacturer's factory. If they no longer have stock they'll often sell a new one at a big discount.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bbwong

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 07:07:02 PM »

Agree. No harm to ask how much or you could get it for free.