Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River C&R sturgeon fishery under scrutiny  (Read 3679 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:06:01 PM by clarki »

cdjk123

Re: Fraser River C&R fishery under scrutiny
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 04:41:49 PM »

10 bucks says that Freds Tackle is going to lead another protest fishery because of this.

You heard it here first!

Shinny

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 04:54:06 PM »

Interesting read. The opening picture of the three guys lifting the sturgeon out of the water is definite no no in my books. If they were guided it should have been made clear to not lift the sturgeon out of the water. You can get a good picture that shows the length while still having most of the sturgeon submerged.

I would say the huge increase in permits from 2009 to 2017 is mostly with the single day licenses. Sturgeon fishing is way more popular now than it was then. My work has done two "team building  ::)" days this on guided boats, 20 guys x 5 boats. Plenty of other occupations are also doing similar team days. You can go on groupon or similar sites and easily find 50% off guided sturgeon fishing trips from multiple outfits. Years back you heard of the occasional person who has caught a sturgeon, just wasn't as accessible for the  commoner ...  now lots of people have, it's pretty easy to get into one or pay $100 p.p for a 4 hour guided trip.

All the guides I've  had have been super ethical and always looking out for the best interest of the sturgeon. I have no doubt it stressing them, especially the females as mentioned in the article.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 05:31:50 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they close the sturgeon fishery for "conservation" purposes.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »

How often does the same sturgeon get caught, ballpark?

sg6804

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 06:52:16 PM »

Or they will just make it a guide only fishery to ensure the handling is done correct and to have better catch monitoring might not be a bad thing

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:35:31 PM »

Or they will just make it a guide only fishery to ensure the handling is done correct and to have better catch monitoring might not be a bad thing

LOL! ... guided fishing is a big part of the problem
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser River C&R sturgeon fshery under scrutiny
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 09:09:46 PM »

i posted on the province page about this but they deleted it , Mr malloway should tell the first nations bands along the fraser about the supposed moratorium on killing sturgeon, from what i see every year they obviously dont know about it. If he was TRULY concerned with the well being of sturgeon he would suggest banning gill nets in all of the fraser river.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Birkenhead

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »

i posted on the province page about this but they deleted it , Mr malloway should tell the first nations bands along the fraser about the supposed moratorium on killing sturgeon, from what i see every year they obviously dont know about it. If he was TRULY concerned with the well being of sturgeon he would suggest banning gill nets in all of the fraser river.

7 posts in and FN are being blamed for another fishing problem on the Fraser.

@Rodney:

Already time to lock this thread...and to start banning some people here.

I have had enough of the BS on this forum and will no longer participate here.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 09:33:21 PM »

7 posts in and FN are being blamed for another fishing problem on the Fraser.

@Rodney:

Already time to lock this thread...and to start banning some people here.

I have had enough of the BS on this forum and will no longer participate here.

I'm not blaming First Nations , the sturgeon population is just fine , I was merely pointing out ken maloway saying natives haven't killed sturgeon since the 90s is BS , I've seen sturgeon killed.
My post about banning gill nets includes natives and commercial fisherman of all colours
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 09:52:57 PM »

How often does the same sturgeon get caught, ballpark?

Based on their sturgeon tagging program I thought i read some where 6-10 times. Keep in mind that these were mainly guides that did the work. So its likely the fish were caught a lot more, Also the fact that there are know sturgeon out there that get caught over and over again like pig nose.

"Grimolfson said they’re sure it’s the legendary sturgeon as the fish was tagged in the past and microchipped. He said the group followed the same protocol that’s used on all its fishing trips."

“Take some photos, videos, scan the fish with a scanner to see if he’s been tagged then as soon as it beeps, we know it’s been tagged,” he said. “Take some measurements, make sure the fish is healthy then let him go.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2901539/legendary-600-lb-pig-nose-fish-caught-by-bcs-sturgeon-whisperer/