Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: weaver creek fishing  (Read 6012 times)

goziilar

weaver creek fishing
« on: October 06, 2006, 11:59:14 PM »

hello..guys.. is that ok to go salmon fishing at "Weaver Creek" now?
 ???

goziilar

Re: weaver creek fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:07:15 AM »

one of my friends went salmon fishing at "Weaver Creek", and he got a huge salmon( i believe it about 20pound)..so i just wonder is that ok to go fishing over there..because i want to go there at Thanksgiving Day

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 12:07:39 AM »

Never heard of it, I'm pretty new to the systems, were is it located exactly?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 12:10:07 AM »

Weaver Creek is out past the chehalis along the north shore of the Harrison. I *believe that it is open, howver, it will surely be fully of mature salmon that are not really fit for angling. My advise would be to try elsewhere.
Actions speak louder than words.

goziilar

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 12:16:25 AM »

hello..what is the different between the "mature salmon, and immature salmon"...and is the mature one eatable ? ..thnak you  ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 12:19:22 AM »

The salmon you catch in the rivers such as the Vedder, Harrison and Chehalis are mature fish. Yes you can certainly eat them but make sure they are chrome ones.

goziilar

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 12:25:15 AM »

what is the different of when salmons in sliver, in chrome, and in red
do they all catchable?

Pat AV

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 06:47:41 AM »

As biff said Weaver creek is a nice small creek that is located on Morris Valley Rd. a few km's past the Chehalis. As with all systems it will be low and the salmon will not be moving in. There is a salmon spawning channel on the creek so it has a huge run of salmon (sockeye right now) the sockeye are all sitting at the mouth of Morris Slough awaiting rain (like everything :-[). When the rain comes the creek will be full of spawners and they will be so thick you will end up snaggig them not getting them to bite.
They are also to dark (sexually mature) in the system to be worth eating.

There is a small run of wild coho I am not sure if there is a retention fishery for them but I doubt it. They will be silver (less sexually mature) if you can find them (which is very unlikley they will be hiding with the sockeye).

So am I saying do not go..........absolutely not! It is a great place to view salmon especially if you have kids that would enjoy such a thing. You could hit the Chehalis while you are there and fishing will be far better than at Weaver. The only type of fishing I do on the Weaver system is cutty fishing thye will be in the area fattening up on salmon eggs now. They are also available in the spring when the salmon fry are emerging. I would stick with Morris Lake or slough for the cutties.

Most of all make sure you read the regs before you hit the Weaver system DFO operates the salmon spawning channel up there and have a heavy presence in the area. They have a vested interest in the system and come down hard on the unlucky folks who do not know the regs.

Hope that helps!

Pat
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav