Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Numbers drop by 50%  (Read 1216 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Sockeye Numbers drop by 50%
« on: October 06, 2006, 07:13:39 PM »

Who comes up with the estimated guess of 17 million sockeye to enter the Fraser? I was reading the chilliwack paper and now they say the numbers have dropped to 8.7 million, and over 5.2 million have been harvested. How does something like this happen, and how bad is this?
The Bigger The Better!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Numbers drop by 50%
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 09:56:16 AM »

I knew something was "fishy" when they said there was gonna be 17 million returning, the most in 50 some odd years.  IMO they puposefully over exaggerated the numbers so they could let the commies have a good whack at em without receiving too much flack from environmentalists and recreational fisherman.  But maybe I should just give them the benefit of the doubt, heck they were only off by 8.3 million!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:57:29 AM »

just divide what they say by 2, and you got a  good estimate
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 10:26:48 AM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

Pat AV

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 10:15:11 AM »

This topics has been discussed heavily on Fish BC and I put my two cents in there so why not here?

This summer was a Free-for-All for everybody: sport, commercial and native. It is very scarry to think that this insane summer full of openings was based on poor stock estimates. Hopefully FOC learnes to be cautious and errrs on the side of letting too many get through next time.

On a postiive note I have heard plenty of fish made it through to the spawning beds, we will see what the in-stream inumeration guys come up with over the coming months.

My biggest comment is DFO needs to Err on the side of conservation or we will be in big trouble unless they figure out how to estimate fish run sizes withtin a reasonable margin of error!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav