Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: low water  (Read 4634 times)

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
low water
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:43:09 PM »

I was on the vedder this past weekend and never seen the river so low.Would this be almost record low water levels for the river?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: low water
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 12:04:07 AM »

I saw it lower in 2002, here is a photo at the upper Penn:

I should have taken a photo of the apache run above allison, as there was a large sandbar showing, something I had never seen before...

The water levels this year are the same as last year, approximately... I check them every time I go out...

I think this year has lasted an extra week and a half though.

Cheers,
nicole

"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

shaunm

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 08:46:22 AM »

Weather network quote - Fall Precipitation Outlook - 'Below normal across the province'.

How will this affect the fishing if no decent rains comes soon?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 09:58:22 AM »

Weather network quote - Fall Precipitation Outlook - 'Below normal across the province'.

How will this affect the fishing if no decent rains comes soon?

Good question. I don't know the history of the vedder but I am guessing the "canal" area is man-made (was it??). That being true why is it not possible to fill the canal with water to assist the fish into getting into the main river somehow. The way I see it the canal is the narrowest artery causing the biggest problem for fish entering the system.  It's a mudpit at this point - any engineers out here with some creative ideas? I'd like to see icebergs flown in around KWB and melted to fill up the canal....

And what about a rain dance?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 02:16:51 PM »

Im curious of what a bit of rain will do to the fishing, once we get some  ::) The fishing is so-so if you look, but what if we get some rain, will this river be roaring with fish again? Are most of the fish still waiting at the mouth of the vedder and near the canal? Any know from past experience
The Bigger The Better!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 04:49:13 PM »

I've seen the river so low you had to drag your canoe down to the mouth, and even there it was low in the Fraser. The Coho were stacked up like cordwood waiting to get up. You could troll out in the Fraser and catch them no prob. Was around 1985 or 6 by my reckoning. Not right now, as they are not schooling up in the Fraser last time I checked on Friday there were some small schools around the lowest end of the canal, but nothing to smack your lips over. I think there still a little further away, or trickling in, or not going to show up in a big way this year. The Chinook will probably do the same as always.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 06:08:13 PM »

i think the salmon's biological drive will eventually overpower them to instinctively push up river.  i'm seeing more of them on the go, the only problem is they're being very tight lipped.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 07:09:28 PM »

I feel so sorry for those big springs,getting snagged in the lower river and all the big deep holes they sit in..At least the hos have a better chance making it up river unharmed.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 07:45:12 PM »

I personally like the river to have that tea color. I think with such great clarity they spook a bit too easily.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

4x4

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 07:47:18 PM »

This is the lowest that I have seen the river in 7 yrs.
Like Nicole said 2002 was also a low year but this year in the areas we fish it's the lowest (lower River) that we have seen in a long time.
The freshet has changed the river a lot this year. Areas that were low last year are high and vice versa. There are many different holding areas.You have to know where to look and once you find them, you need the patience to figure out how to get them.
So far this year even with the low water I have had a good year.
From what I have seen on 10 trips so far, the river has many more Coho in it this year than last (in the lower anyways) with an impressive size.
On Friday I released a 9 and 17 lb Wild Coho and took home a 8 and 15 lb hatchery. Really strong fish even on my 10ft 8 wt.
 Once we find them you have to spend the time and work them over. Like Cammer said in another thread, fine leaders and small presentations will help you catch a few fish.

I flyfish the Vedder. Size 10 and 12 SPARSE flies, 8lb tippet, a 9ft leader, monocore line and a dead slow foot long retrieve in slow water and a type 5 or 8 sinktip in the faster flow (shorten the leader to 7ft with weighted flies) will get you fish.
Believe it or not, 10:00 am on has been way more productive than first light and once the sun is high up and shining on the water the fishing turns on for awhile. Kind of the opposite that we expect when Coho fishing.

The Springs and Chums are a dime a dozen right now also. Even though the river is low the fish are in there. Walk the river at dark and you will be surprised on the amount of fish that are travelling.

Good luck out there and watch your footing in fast water.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 10:45:25 AM »

Wow, vedder is 1.788 at vedder crossing today, unreal!

and the rain is 30% chance of showers today and friday, not nearly enough to affect anything...

I guess we'll see how much lower we go!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 12:48:53 PM »

7 day forecast calls for no rain. Looks like all the popular spots are going to be popular again this weekend.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 11:27:24 AM »

hmm, 1.771 now at the crossing... 70% chance of rain today, but I'm looking out the window and seeing patches of blue sky...

Any rain out in the wack today?

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 01:06:31 PM »

30% of rain Sunday

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »

Has nothing to do with low water but what do you guys consider lower, middle and upper river on the Vedder?
The Bigger The Better!