Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are the boundaries on Coquitlam River?  (Read 3195 times)

Piranha

Where are the boundaries on Coquitlam River?
« on: November 10, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »

Is it fish anywhere between Lougheed Hwy. bridge and Mary Hill bypass bridge? If this is right why would'nt I be able to fish the upper river above where they mine gravel? There is a park up there and the water might not be as dirty from the mine run-off  ???

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Where are the boundaries on Coquitlam River?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 12:55:53 PM »

The boundary is the BC Hydro line above the hatchery. Trust me you'll know it when you see it . There is a large 10ft fence across the road.  But personally i would be sending letters to the minister right now instead of attempting to fish that river. If you look at the water level graphs you'll see that the water is dangerously high; about a full 4ft higher that normally fall levels. And it isn't due to the rain. The dam is letting water out and from the biologist i talked to it may be like this for the next 3 months.

My question is what is gonna happen to all the redds that have been laid, and the fish that are getting flushed out of the system? This decision could could ruin this rivers salmon run.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 10:05:32 PM »

Ya i went by the coq today and i couldnt believe how high it is,i sure hope they close the dam soon or these redds will be totally destroyed,i hope the hatchery has allready taken thier brood stock this year or it could be a tough go to get the numbers of fish needed for the hatchery.just another instance of this river taking a cupcakes kicking. ???
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 12:30:12 AM »

The river is extremely high top to bottom. I have only seen the river this high once before. The power of the water right now is surely to wash away most redds. The fish in this river have enough problems as it is.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 12:27:59 PM »

I talked to one of the two Biologists that work the river the day before the damn opened up. (I was doing Brood for the hatchery).  He said that it is expected to stay open like this for up to 3 months. I asked what effect it would have on redds and fish already in the river. He said they wont know until they do their fry capture in the spring. It could be disastrous. And I'm pretty sure the Hatchery has like no fish in their holding ponds.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 07:30:52 PM »

Dion, were the biologists from hydro? I thought flow levels were to supposed be kept to a level that wouldn't cause damage to the reds. 
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 08:02:23 PM »

I think the Biologists are hired by DFO or some section of the qovernment. I do not think they are paid by Hydro.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 09:59:52 PM »

I was there this afternoon and as dion said the water is really high in the bushes.