Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with frozen pink salmon  (Read 4873 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
What to do with frozen pink salmon
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:20:58 PM »

I was speaking to a Chinese fisherman a while back and I asked him why he kept the coloured chum when there were chrome fish to be had.  He told me it made little difference as he was making fish cakes.  From what I was able to tell, he flaked the fish, mixed it with some sort of filler, added some green onions and whisky (that what he said!).  Now I've always been pretty keen on trying new foods, so I figured I'd have to try something along those lines even if I'm not quite brave enough to use a coloured fish.

Tonight, I had a can of pink salmon kicking around, so I decided to make fish cakes with it borrowing a bit on the fisherman's recipe.  I didn't know what the filler used was, so I used mashed potato.  Chopped in some green onions, a little squirt of ketchup for a bit of tang, a dash of salt and pepper then baked them until they were firm.  I left out the whisky.  Then I took them out of the oven to cool.  Once cool, I heated up pan of olive oil maybe 1/4" deep.  I then fried them both sides then drained them on paper towel.

Served the fish cakes with ketchup and yam fries and a beer.  Really enjoyed it!  I'm pretty sure this would work great with frozen pink that has lost its texture and thus no longer much good on the BBQ.  I'll probably try it this weekend with those frozen fillets.  It was right up there with fish and chips IMO.

Here's the rough recipe, can't say I measured though

3 cups mashed potato
3 eggs
1 fillet/ 3 cans pink
small squirt of ketchup
salt, pepper to taste
a couple green onions
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:09:24 PM by Matt »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: What to do with frozen pink salmon
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:41:12 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Might give it a go this weekend.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:59:44 AM »

a little squirt of ketchup for a bit of tang

I've used ketchup to 'enhance' many a dish or sauce if I haven't any fresh herbs. 

Makes me wonder what we do without it! ;D 
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

fish bonk

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:51:26 PM »

Now I know what to do with my frozen pinks! Smoking didn't turn out so good ;D. Thanks for the details.

dmocchi

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:39:27 AM »

What  your making are essentially "fish cakes".....you can also add some finely chopped carrots and celery to the mix along with mayo and tabasco (for a kick).......Try using Japanese bread crumbs also..... ;)