Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upcoming Pink Salmon Run fraser 2011  (Read 39094 times)

Nitroholic

Re: Upcoming Pink Salmon Run fraser 2011
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 11:58:21 AM »

1/4oz-3/8oz gold hammered croc with a red stripe, dead slow retrieve
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:26:10 PM by Nitroholic »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

I had substantially better luck using jigs then I did spinners and spoons.  Maybe my retrieve with spinners/spoons was not effective, I'm really not sure.

Really looking forward to bringing my son who will be 4 as well as some non-fisher friends to enjoy salmon fishing in 25c weather. 8)

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 03:24:39 PM »

Really looking forward to bringing my son who will be 4 as well as some non-fisher friends to enjoy salmon fishing in 25c weather. 8)
yeah i cant wait for the g/f to realize why i am addicted to this sport we all love so much...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »

pinks ! lol aug 30 2009 drifting buzz bombs at sand heads ! never seen them so thick ! 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:37:55 PM by rjs »

steve B

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 06:10:17 PM »

wow thats a lot of info i tried for pinks last year but no luck so i figure 2011 i might do alittle better I heard that pink salmon swim close to shore ? plus i just bought a smoker and i would like to enjoy some smoked pink slamon next fall

thanks everybody and thanks rod for the link to your very imformative articles on sportfish of BC

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 06:50:14 PM »

if you fish the incoming tide in the lower fraser you should be able to find waves of pinks moving through within 10-30 feet of the shore. It can be stacked with fish in really close for an hour or two then nothing for several hours....hit and miss sometimes, another key is being able to fish those tides as sometimes it's during the mid day

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »

Talk to flyfishing magician hook and I think him and I might disagree ;D. "The Staple" which as far as I know is Aarons recipe is a an absolute destroyer in the beach and fresh water fishery for pinks. Sparse pink and silver. Nothing outperformed it that I saw last year. Hilarious we are talking pinks already, I guess he's eager. As said they aren't that tough to catch when they are in the mood.

I'd have to agree with you Derek (sorry Hook)!  The staple outperformed every fly in my box on the beach, Squish, upper Fraser, and it also slayed the pinks in the Campbell River this year.  And yes, I do have chartreuse flies, rolled muddlers, pink eve's, and many more patterns.  Not to say that those other patterns didn't work (they did), but the staple was my "starting quarterback" and didn't disappoint.   Anyway, I did indeed create this fly myself, but the basic pattern concept was from Aaron Goodis who many of you probably know.   ;)

norm_2

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 08:32:52 AM »

FlyFishin Magician, do you have a photo of this fly?  Or anybody?  I would appreciate it.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 10:47:05 PM »

I can't seem to find the photo on my hard drive.  ???  I might have to take another photo.  Basically, the fly has a pink tail, silver body, pink overwing with krystal flash, and a pink hackle collar.  I like to use a size 6 - 8 streamer hook - depending on where I'm fishing.  For the beaches, a small sparse pattern works well.  For the upper Fraser, a larger more dressed fly works in the coloured water.  The key is to not overdress the fly. I think that any variation of this pattern will produce pinks.  Of course, other factors such as the leader and type of retrieve will also come into play.

WildRod

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 11:50:12 PM »

talk about jumping the gun! ;D

Yah, maybe a little early, but if you want to stock up your tackle box, now the time to do it!  By May/June every tackle shop will be sold out of anything pink/fire striped/red/purple...

Personally I've had luck with the pink buzz bombs.  Time to stock up!  ;)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 08:43:47 AM »

Now there's something I need a hand with!  Hardware!  What kind of spoons are good for pinks?  I can't seem to catch any fish when I try spoons - while guys like Hook are catching them one after the other.  I go back to the fly rod and no problem!   :-\

So, just any pink spoon will work??  I've tried the Gibbs crocs - red striped, cerise (pink), blue striped, green striped - but no luck for me.  I've only tried using spoons a couple of times in the lower Fraser, but I'm obviously a noob here.   :)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 08:44:53 AM »

My go to spoon last year was the Hotrod spoon. Too bad they don't make them any more.

I found a place last year that had about 50 of them left over, they found them in the back of the store, I just happened to be there when they put them out. I bought 20  ;D

azafai

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »

are they any different than those you can order therm here:
http://www.gloutdoors.com/dreamweaverwdwalleyespoon.aspx
this one for example

or this one

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »

are they any different than those you can order therm here:
http://www.gloutdoors.com/dreamweaverwdwalleyespoon.aspx
this one for example

or this one

Way different than both of those. You can get the newer versions {cheap imitations}, but the originals are long gone as far as I know.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:43:11 AM by Bently »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2010, 11:29:15 AM »

The imitations are made by Gibbs. Not nearly as effective as the originals in my opinion.