Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big Valley Sport Fishing Adventures - Class act operation!  (Read 1583 times)

Rhys

Big Valley Sport Fishing Adventures - Class act operation!
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to put a thank you out there to Mark from Big Valley Sport fishing Adventures in Chilliwack for his generosity and kindness as well as commitment to bringing new people into the fishing community.

I have been working on completing my Masters degree in American Sign language/English interpreting and one of my courses required partnering with a local Deaf community group to provide an event that would benefit Deaf people in the community. I partnered with a local group called Family Network for Deaf Children (FNDC) and specifically their summer program Deaf Youth Today (DYT) and the Fraser Valley Trout hatchery to put on a "learn to fish" event at the end of July for Deaf adults, Deaf children and their families from the Lower Mainland. I arranged for a number of Registered Sign language interpreters to be present at the event to interpret the presentation and work with the hatchery staff who were interacting with the event participants. The event was a great success and thanks to the generosity of Big Valley Sport fishing Adventures, we were able to give away a prize of a 4 hour guided sturgeon trip complete with a Registered Sign language interpreter. The trip took place Sunday August 30, 2015.

The group managed a 60.5 inch fish fairly quickly into the trip and then two smaller fish which were perfect for the kids to reel in and handle. This trip will likely be a highlight of their lives and hopefully hook another family into the sport we all love.

Thanks again to Mark and all you anglers that go out of your way to help foster positive relationships between new anglers and the fish of BC.

Rhys

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
Re: Big Valley Sport Fishing Adventures - Class act operation!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »

Awesome to see this kind of commitment in our community. Keep up the good work !!!