Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gear fishing tips for Tunkwa/Leighton  (Read 2013 times)

andrew5

gear fishing tips for Tunkwa/Leighton
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »

Hi all,

I will be heading up to Tunkwa this weekend, and will probably be sticking to the flies, but will be with friends and family who will be using gear.

I have done some research about flies and techniques associated with fly fishing here, but was hoping to tap into some tips for spincasting, trolling bait fishing etc from everyone on here.

Hope to hear some good tips. Any and all are welcome!What has worked for you in the past at this time of year?

Andrew

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: gear fishing tips for Tunkwa/Leighton
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »

Comment from a fisher with limited experience on these lakes:

#14 chronomid fished under an indicator.    Most any colour but some colours better than others.   I tend to green with some shine.   Static bag chronis in olive are supposed to be good.   Also pumpkinhead fished like a chroni.

I have trolled flatfish and cast larger flies like doc spratley etc etc with a bubble float using a spinning rod, for days.    Almost nothing at this time of year.

I have seen some folks have limited success with small spinners (green) or even trolling a silver spoon around the middle of the lake.  I have also observed people doing well with bait (Powerbait?) fished near the bottom in Tunkwa.

For fun try last light with an emerger if there is surface activity.  Even the gear folks can do this with a bubble float and a light spinning rod.  Mostly you will catch smaller fish.

Good luck

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:33:39 PM »

--if you're staying at tunkwa lodge they are experienced fishers and I think have a small on site tackle shop... also a shop in Logan lake.

--big question is are your friends going to try and fish from same boat as you?
--If from same boat and you're going to try and fly fish then get them on lite spin gears.. indicator size float and chironomid or something similar to what you are using if anchored.

--If they are trying to troll get a lite wobble style lure (dick night) that can be trolled as slow as possible with small weight by itself.. this may force you into using an attractor pattern fly and trolling as well.. woolly type with some sparkle or egg sucking leach etc. larger flies.

--This is why I favour a sling blade or small dodger rather than willow leaf... unless very small blade willow.. If you are trying to fish along edge of flats you want to keep the trolling rig fairly high in the water or your friends will be catching weeds.

--could use small apex style or number #1-2 lyman again with little or no weight. they lyman can be cast with light spin rig as well as trolled.

--really if using same boat have to take turns at which method to favour as far as speed and depth control or even anchor for a while.
--the speed required to keep a larger troll off the bottom is not usually compatible with speed required for trolling a fly unless you want to go to full sink lines and minnow patterns

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:06:38 PM »

A buddy of mine does well trolling gulp black leeches by berkley.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »

I have caught a lot of trout on Flatfish and Hotshots.
Speed is the key with these lures.
Perch Scale,Frog,Black with silver specks,Flour Orange.
F4 and F5 sizes.
Let out a whack of line and then a little more.
Cruise the drop offs/ledges shoals.