Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cost for 1 tournament ?  (Read 2872 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
cost for 1 tournament ?
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:29:42 PM »

I was just wondering what it costs a player like Mike Weir for playing in a tournament ?

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: cost for 1 tournament ?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:11:28 PM »

depends how many times the beer girl comes around ;D ;D ;D

Actually, it probably doesn't cost him a dollar in entry fees to play in a tournament.  He does probably have to pay for travel expenses. 

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 06:55:57 AM »

Do the caddies get paid a flat rate or are the paid a percentage of the winnings ? What happens if he does not make the cut ? Does that mean he does not get paid this week ?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »

I think their wages are like waiters wages.  Flat rate and tips are based on how well the golfer does. 

Ursus

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 07:21:51 AM »

I caddied on the Canadian Tour for a number of years, mostly BC Open at Point Grey but then moved to the Island and did Qualifying school at Morningstar for a number of years and the Payless in Victoria.
At Q school I would hook up with a golfer coming up who knew one of the guys I had caddied for, mostly Californians.
For caddies that just meet up with a player at one tournament, most of the Can Tour guys, except for the cheap ones who make their wives or girlfriends loop for them, you get a daily rate - was $40-$75 a day depending on the golfer, and a bonus at the end of the weekend if they make money.

On the big tours caddies get  weekly rate and percentage of the winnings, 10% of win, 6-8% top 10 and so on - it's been a while since I've been out there so it may have changed.
Many permanent caddies also get a salary for booking travel arrangements hotels etc.

Met some great people including a young Mike Weir who was very nice to everyone and always said hello.
Lots of fun and if you are into golf I highly recommend giving it a try next year when the Can Tour hits town, they are always looking for caddies.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 07:51:44 PM »

"On the big tours caddies get  weekly rate and percentage of the winnings, 10% of win, 6-8% top 10 and so on - it's been a while since I've been out there so it may have changed.
Many permanent caddies also get a salary for booking travel arrangements hotels etc."

Still pretty close to that, depending on the player...caddies pay their own travel expenses though

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 07:47:02 PM »

If my math is correct ,Tiger Woods caddy makes in the high 6 figures or even a million dollars a year . Not bad for working part time .

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 08:57:34 PM »

I think Tiger's caddie also gets a bonus for each person he kicks out of the gallery that annoys him.   ;D ;D