Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on what motor to put on my 'new' boat.  (Read 10059 times)

obie1fish

Re: Thoughts on what motor to put on my 'new' boat.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 09:53:55 AM »

IMO, a 4 stroke is quieter,cleaner, no-mix fuel, and usually trolls slower if you need that. While I'm happy with my 25 Merc 2 stroke from 1989 on my 14 foot aluminum, I've used 4 strokes in my work since the first ones came out and found them to be an overall plus. The mechanics love them too because of easy maintenance, and they keep getting lighter every year. Whichever you choose, be sure to trim it well and, if you can, choose the right prop for best performance. Good luck!

poper

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 10:02:32 PM »

Go with a 30hp merc, I have deep fisherman 14ft and it moves well with a 30.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 12:31:41 AM »

An update, in case anyone cares.

I've been hard at work getting the boat and trailer in tip top shape.

-Bearings repacked
-Rotted transom removed
-Old bunks removed, New bunks covered in marine carpet installed
-New winch
-Removed old rotten swivel seat and base
-New transom going to tomorrow along with all new hardware
-Bench seat (was broken and just kinda floating) reinforced with angle aluminum and new hardware
-Sourced 3 rod holders, mounts will be rigged up tomorrow
-Anchor puller going on tomorrow.
-Fish finder to be mounted tomorrow

The 20hp Merc has been serviced and given a clean bill of health (got lucky).  I need to pick up a new tank and hose, mount the sucker up and give it it's new first sea trial.  Might put in at Tsawassen where it is nice and calm/flat and see how it goes on the weekend.

Then I need to figure out where to mount up the downrigger(s).

Trying to do this with as little cash outlay as possible.  Sourcing good second parts and doing the work myself.  The last thing I want to is put more money into this rig than it is worth.

It has been a fun couple weeks getting the old girl sea worthy again.  Too bad the damn river is closed.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:36:30 AM by Damien »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 05:34:28 PM »

Well, here she is after today.  A light sanding, primed, masked, two coats of paint.  She came out looking decent!  On the hunt for replacement decals;

Looks like this boat is going to be put at the cabin at my friend's place on a 10hp restricted lake, so the 20hp is going to be sold.  Too bad, I just put $200 into it PLUS a new tank and hose ~100.  I wonder what it is worth...

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 06:56:03 PM »

Nice work!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 08:47:05 PM »

Thanks.  It was a LOT of work. 

Very time consuming to remove old red overspray from on top of the original decals.  It was a nightmare.  Using something gentle enough on the logo, yet strong enough to remove 20 year old spray paint, took some doing.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »

Well, if your following this thread.  I finally got this old boat in the water for it's re-maiden voyage after a lot of blood sweat and tears...and money.

It was a great day on the water.  The boat got bloody, and the old Merc worked FLAWLESSLY.  I tell you, a light 14 foot aluminum moves well with a 20hp. 

Our time was spent up and down stream of Bridgeview marine.  We didn't slay out there, but there was enough action to keep us interested. 

Any day now, stuff will get reel out there.

Here was a nice 6lb buck.

Have fun out there!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:21:51 PM by Damien »

fishman254

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 10:00:16 AM »

Be careful if the electric motor is not salt-water rated about taking it in the salt chuck. I bought a Minnkota that is salt water rated for that very reason. Cost more, but should be worth it. More and more 2-strokes are being banned in certain areas around North America (well, at least the old ones.)
I like the reliability of our Honda 4-strokes, but I'm sure others are good as well. The 4-strokes seem slower and heavier than the 2-strokes, however.
You'll probably never regret getting too POWERFUL of a motor (if reasonable, and used properly and legally), but you'll certainly regret getting too LITTLE of a motor, I know from personal experience.
Good luck.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:40 PM »

Thats a good point. 

So far so good with just the 20hp on there, and oars for emergency use.

Will only use the Kota for the fresh water trips.  Or spring for one of those fancy Rip Tide Minn Kotas.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 09:01:40 PM »

thats not a 60's merc hanging off the back of that boat ! more like a mid 70's to 80's !

Why don't u get that atleast checked out first to see what type of shape it really is in !

dealers  also might take it in on a trade cause there still people who run them !

I would back what rjs said. I had a light weight Springbok (Princecraft) with an 18 hp Evinrude 2 stroke that ran everywhere and in places people said could not be done. I would have a qualified mechanic look at the motor. It is probably still good. If not then I would go with a 25 hp 2 stroke. I've got two, one with a prop and one with a 25 hp jet. I can pick either off the transom and replace it when needed. They weigh about 150 pounds each. Anything larger and it would have to be permanent.

mbowers

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 07:51:29 AM »

Regardless of the motor you put on it, I would look at spending $80-120 on an aluminum jackplate from TH marine.  You could probably even close in the transom after mounting the jackplate for the motor.  The jackplate gives more space in the back of the boat for gear, reduces hole shot and improves top speed.  Get a tiller extension for the motor too IMHO.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »

That is interesting.  I wonder how effective it would be.  The motor we have on it is a short shaft (15") and seems to be the right length for the 20" transom, but maybe the jackplate could improve on this.

At any rate, we had the boat on the Fraser on the weekend and it ran like a champ.  M&B Marine gave it a clean bill of health.  So we are going to stick with it for the foreseeable future.  The only thing is it doesn't troll very well, too fast on the slowest 'setting'.  Maybe we need to adjust something or dry a drift sock/ bucket...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:09:30 PM by Damien »

Ian Forbes

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 04:00:31 PM »

Good plan, mbowers. Years ago on my Springbok I made a removable transom out of plywood that fit over the existing transom. I held it on with C-clamps. It raised my motor out of the water enough to run through shallows. It cavitated a lot, but I still made it up fast moving rivers almost as good as jet boats.

mbowers

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 08:57:11 PM »

The benefit of the 4" of set back from that jack plate is the water's surface at that distance from the transom has risen higher relative to the bottom of the  hull of the boat (and closer to the height of undisturbed water) as it's further from the hull.  The motor actually has more water to work with back there at the same mounting height and ventilation of the prop is reduced. 

The jack plate made a world of difference on my 1236 jon boat so I try to spread the word.  :)

To reduce trolling speed have you tried manually trimming up the motor if possible?  The more trimmed up the motor the less efficient it is at a troll and the slower you should go.  More bubbles to attract coho too! :)  A bucket or sock is a pain when trolling.  Maybe get a spare prop (always a good idea) with a different pitch so your minimum speed is lower?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 08:00:33 AM »

Great info, thanks a lot.

Might just give the jack plate thingamabobber a shot.