Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you coming to Fish for the Future 2011?

Yes! :)
- 10 (71.4%)
No. :(
- 4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: July 11, 2011, 02:11:37 PM

Author Topic: Fish for the Future, July 9th 2011  (Read 6595 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fish for the Future, July 9th 2011
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »

Back to the top, five days to go!

Bring the kids out on Saturday. We'll be giving away some of the fishing rods. There'll also be some free posters, fishing lures, etc that will be given away.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 12:22:28 PM »

For Saturday's event, we'll be giving away a few prizes. The first kid who catches a starry flounder will receive a Shimano spinning reel! The first kid who catches either a bull trout or cutthroat trout will receive a "How to catch salmon, trout and steelhead" DVD!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »

Two days until the event! :)

Here's a note for the volunteers. A few of us are going to be down at the pier at 8:30am to do setup (setting up a few tents, unloading items, setting the rods up, etc). If you'd like to join us that early, you're welcome to do so. The event starts at 10am. We need people to write licences for kids (so far I have two people committed to do that for the first hour, so a couple other people to take over for awhile after that would be nice). We need people to help kids on the pier (untangling line, baiting hooks, unhooking fish, putting fish in bucket, etc). We need one or two people to man the aquariums so when kids bring the fish to the station, you can transfer them into the tanks safely. You'd also need to know your species because there'll be lots of people asking what they are. ;)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 11:07:06 PM »

Seen a newspaper ad telling of the "FISH FOR THE FUTURE " event this weekend.
The weather forecast looks not too "shabby" infact very good.
All success for the event.
(rumor has it William & Kate may attend ...surprize visit ;D)

Hope ya get those volunteers that your asking for to help out.
Worthy cause (hobby) & sport to have kids teens & adults get outdrs & learn to fish.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:08:56 PM by A-BOATER »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »

Thanks! We always get good weather. ;)

Just picked up 168 dew worms from Berry's Bait and Tackle for tomorrow! :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »

Thanks! We always get good weather. ;)

Just picked up 168 dew worms from Berry's Bait and Tackle for tomorrow! :D
Hope things go well tomorrow, sorry that we have a Chilliwack Vedder Cleanup Society planning meeting in the morning, should come down for supper though as hate to miss supper at Sockeye City. ;D ;D

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »

How many volunteers do you have Rod?  Are you still in need?  I was not planning on driving in, but if you are hard up I will make the effort and help out.  I may have to bring the kids along too.
Not all those who wander are lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 08:32:46 PM »

The more is better of course. ;D A couple of people are not showing up now (rantalot is sick, fishersak is away), so I'd like to have more people on the floating dock to help kids and taking care of the aquariums. So feel free to come down and join us anytime. :)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »

The more is better of course. ;D A couple of people are not showing up now (rantalot is sick, fishersak is away), so I'd like to have more people on the floating dock to help kids and taking care of the aquariums. So feel free to come down and join us anytime. :)

I shall do my best to get there early but getting my kids out of bed is not easy and we have a bit of a drive.  We will see you when we get there.

strobes

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »

I want to thank you Rod and all the volunteers. I brought my two girls down for them to have their first fishing experience. Even though they didn't catch any fish they were more than happy with the stickers the got as well as seeing the owls and "baby fishies". During the ride home they kept saying how much fun they had and how they want to bring their mom next time. Thanks again and I hope to bring them again.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »

Thanks Rodney and all the volunteers!  I brought my 5 year old son down for about an hour.  Even though we didn't catch anything, he had fun coloring, looking at the insects, fish, and getting stickers, and crab measuring stick.  That shoulder to shoulder pier fishing was kind of interesting.  Nobody was getting too worked up with all that fishing pressure.   Things might have been different if large school of pinks decided to show up  ;D

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »

I certainly seemed like everyone had fun.  While it was busy at times, it never got "too" busy, and everyone was in good spirits.  The RCMP boat's arrival was a hit for the kids (I know my son had a lot of questions for the skipper).  Although I was not able to make it for the set up, I enjoyed helping out on the dock and the fact that my kids were having such a great time catching fish, tying flies and running back and forth to the aquarium transporting fish for the other kids, meant I could stay to hep with take down.  Kudos to Rod and the gang for putting together such a successful event.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »

Thanks very much for coming out today! :) I'm glad the kids had a good time, with or without fish. ;) This event truly can't happen without volunteers from this forum and FlyBC.ca, as well as many individuals who correspond with us on our Facebook page and Twitter account. Thanks also go out to Fisheries and Oceans Canada in Steveston, RCMP, Seymour Salmonid Society, Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation Society for being with us again this year. The tents are provided by Pacific Streamkeepers Federation, otherwise we'd have to rent them. Berry's Bait and Tackle supplied all the bait again. Redl Sports supplied the fishing gear. Bwi Bwi on the forum runs a print shop, and he prints all the posters, flyers etc for the event each year. Again, thanks!

I was a bit worried at the beginning today when not many people showed up, but the traffic became a steady flow, which was good because it was less stressful for everyone. Every year prior to the event I often go through the frustration of having the event approved by the city, finding the fund and attempting to promote it without spending too much. By the end I usually have made up my mind that I won't be doing it again, but the responses from kids usually turn that around after each event. We will see what happens next year. ;)

Here are some photos. I didn't take as many as last year. Our regular photographer (Dragonspeed) was MIA so perhaps others have taken some too? ;)

DFO tent and display.

Seymour Salmonid Society.

Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.

The crowd.

RCMP boat.

Sculpin into the aquarium.

Even the firemen showed up. I took this one for the female volunteers at the event.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »

Hey thought I'd post thus to bring this topic UP TO THE TOP of the page ;D
Ya all got to read Rod's post before mine !!! Nice write-up & pics.
Congrads Rod & Nina & all your helpers for a successful event !(sunny too)
As your post says it takes alot of planning & is stressful to get it all going BUT your reward is to see all those kids having a BLAST.
Was at McDonald Beach yesterday & with my peanut brain..thought it was an weekend event so when I rode my bike to the wharf today...well .."nothing". (plus I had a new free book to give ya Rodney(Nina)...a true story of a chap who was in jail/prisons & while there he tied 75,000 or so fish flies...good quality as sporting shops bought them. Plus the book has a happy ending...guess I'll bump in to ya in Gerry Park sometime.)

But fishing today was good as people were catching ALOT of whitefish. One guy had a bucket full of them.