Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Downrigger Question  (Read 1827 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Downrigger Question
« on: August 21, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »

I have a problem with my Scotty 1106 downrigger. When I push the Auto Off button, instead of pulling the cable in, it sends more line out. The other one doesn't have this issue and works fine. I checked the belts and compared it against the other one and everything looks the same except the motor rotation. The main shaft rotates in a different direction!
Any idea what may have caused this and if there's anything that I can do before sending it for repair??
I am not the original owner of the unit so I suppose the lifetime warranty isn't going to work for me?? :-\

Plasticworks

Re: Downrigger Question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:57:55 PM »

Well I don't own any downriggers but it sounds like the power wires might be hooked up backwards so the motor is spinning the opposite direction.  I'd try that if the wiring has been altered (or this is a new installation).  If it has just happened out of the blue then hopefully someone else can chime in.
It all revolves around the crab!

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:06:08 AM »

Thanks PW. What you said makes sense. I received the pair from a friend and I'm not sure about any wiring alterations. The socket at the end of the wire looks like the original factory installation. I'll open the socket to check.

Dusty Mac

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »

Did the downrigger work properly before, or did it juststart to act up?
 Is the downrigger wire spooled on the reel differently than the other?
 It might be easier to just respool the wire than opening things up.
 Good luck.

fishgod

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »

If this rigger was working on your boat already then check the female connection on the female boat side - if you have just installed this on your boat then reverse the wires in the female connection.  This will make the rigger turn in the correct direction.
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.