Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Okanagan Lake fishing  (Read 2602 times)

kevzabob

Okanagan Lake fishing
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:37:18 PM »

Hi , just wondering if anyone has suggestions
For fishing the Okanagan Lake.
Do I need a down rigger or can I troll with
A certain weight.
Does casting from a boat get anything.

riptide

Re: Okanagan Lake fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 08:45:43 PM »

Fished on Okanagan last week , Bear Creek area . Had the most success trolling willow leaves , 4 oz. weight , went through a variety of lures , bright patterns working the best . A bright pink apex brought in the biggest rainbow , around 16" and 1 kokanee . A tiger pattern flatfish  1 rainbow 12" . Nothing on dark patterns . Casted and trolled , 3 solid hits spin casting but no reward , probably sucker fish or pikeminnow .Have caught carp in the past spin casting from shore , helluva surprise and not a bad fight . Its a hard lake to figure out without help from locals or guides , we always seem to dial it in the day we are leaving , that's fishing .To fish the lake for the big rainbows you have to get to the thermocline at 40 to 60 feet so yes a downrigger is pretty well a necessity . Google lyman lures . It will show you setups and lures for Okanagan or Okanagan fish images and search from there . Good luck , going to Ukee tomorrow for Hali ,going to be awesome
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

littlerope

Re: Okanagan Lake fishing
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:46:27 PM »

Well when i lived there ( Kelowna ) for a year & a half i used to pop my little 11' wooden boat and 4HP yamaha ( with an electric for backup ) into the big lake for a couple hours once in a while. Tried trolling with one of those little lake downriggers and wedding bands, etc. but no luck. then for a laugh i pulled out all the line on my 4 piece 4 weight flyrod and trolled a ruby-eyed leach quite a ways behind the boat with a sinking line and guess what? Got my nice fat little 12" rainbows 150 ft off shore each time. The dogs and I ate well those days!