Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kokanee rod and reels  (Read 11802 times)

rootbeer

Kokanee rod and reels
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »

I have been looking at different rods and reels with the goal of targeting some kokanee.  I can bottom fish and float fish with the gear that I have, but I am struggling with figuring out if I need something different for trolling.  I do have access to a downrigger.  Is a line counter reel like the smaller Daiwa Accudepth too much reel?  I was also looking at the smaller Daiwa Millionaire Classic.  I may be overthinking this.  I'm actually pretty sure I'm overthinking this, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Kokanee rod and reels
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »

On a rainy or even overcast day, the fish will be near the surface.
On sunny days, they will be fairly deep (30+ feet) so a down-rigger would help.

You can use very light equipment as the fish are small (less than 2 lbs).
I use 5wt fly rods and that is over-kill.

Another person recommended that you troll until you find fish then cast to them.
They travel in schools so once you find one, there will be dozens.

RRV

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »

I target kokanee a lot in the interior, and I have three different setups I use depending on the time of year and where the fish are: 
  • My preferred setup: a 4wt TFO fly rod with an Okuma SLV reel. I usually use sinking tip line, but sometimes I'll put on a full sink.
  • I set up my seven year old son with a light weight spinning rod and reel with 4lb test, which we use to cast spoons or troll willow-leafs close to the surface
  • For the downrigger I use an Okuma Classic Pro GLT Downrigger Rod (7'6" medium light) with an Okuma CLX-200L Classic XT Trolling Reel spooled with 400 Yards of Sufix Promix 8lb test

Although the the Okuma Classic Pro rod gets the job done, it is a bit heavy for your average Kokanee--it's more suited to downrigging for char--but the reel is just fine for Kokanee on the downrigger.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:09:15 PM by RRV »

rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:13:45 PM »

I target kokanee a lot in the interior, and I have three different setups I use depending on the time of year and where the fish are: 
  • My preferred setup: a 4wt TFO fly rod with an Okuma SLV reel. I usually use sinking tip line, but sometimes I'll put on a full sink.
  • I set up my seven year old son with a light weight spinning rod and reel with 4lb test, which we use to cast spoons or troll willow-leafs close to the surface
  • For the downrigger I use an Okuma Classic Pro GLT Downrigger Rod (7'6" medium light) with an Okuma CLX-200L Classic XT Trolling Reel spooled with 400 Yards of Sufix Promix 8lb test

Although the the Okuma Classic Pro rod gets the job done, it is a bit heavy for your average Kokanee--it's more suited to downrigging for char--but the reel is just fine for Kokanee on the downrigger.

I have a 5wt fly rod and I thought that would be a good rod for for the top, so I'm glad that you have had success with that as well.  I had a look online and the Okuma reel sounds like it may be one to look at, paired with a light rod for the downrigger.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/troutbreath/DSCF0326.jpg

There are some nice sized ones if you know where to go. Very tricky to catch at times. Only fish I really try for now.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:47:44 PM »

I've got an cortland 7'6" 4wt that I wasnt using since it was a oddball size That I've redone the cork and real seat to use as a spinning rod for when i'm lake fishing for trout in the lower mainland / fraser valley, Works good with a light weight reel and 4lb test main line.   I can cast Quite long distances with the stock eyelets from the fly rod.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 11:49:07 AM »

--a good book with information on kokanee fishing is The Kokanee Obsession by D.Kent Cannon.
--He presents several options that are popular in USA... most can be applied here as well.

--Check out Kokaneepower... there are several branches of this organization in US states... they have news letters with lots of info.
--Most of the kokanee specialty manufacturers also have info on how to use their equipment. Sep's Pro  fishing, Shasta Tackle, fishwithgary.
--On line kokanee specialty store... kokaneemart.

--Using downriggers?... not just for fishing deep water. I use them for more precise depth control and when fishing in crowded areas you don't need 100 yrds of line out.

--Not crowed... can use a Torpedo Diver... with small weight.. thier 2oz torpedo will get your offering down to 40 ft but you need 200 ft of line out... they have charts with their divers that give depth based on speed and line out. These small divers are great for use with canoe or kayak as very little drag.
--They have several Torpedo Diver sized up to those that require a downrigger.

--Yes you can still catch a kokanee trolling with a willow leaf and corn but there are a ton of other options that are fun to explore... especially if you want to target larger fish

rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »

--a good book with information on kokanee fishing is The Kokanee Obsession by D.Kent Cannon.
--He presents several options that are popular in USA... most can be applied here as well.

--Check out Kokaneepower... there are several branches of this organization in US states... they have news letters with lots of info.
--Most of the kokanee specialty manufacturers also have info on how to use their equipment. Sep's Pro  fishing, Shasta Tackle, fishwithgary.
--On line kokanee specialty store... kokaneemart.

--Using downriggers?... not just for fishing deep water. I use them for more precise depth control and when fishing in crowded areas you don't need 100 yrds of line out.

--Not crowed... can use a Torpedo Diver... with small weight.. thier 2oz torpedo will get your offering down to 40 ft but you need 200 ft of line out... they have charts with their divers that give depth based on speed and line out. These small divers are great for use with canoe or kayak as very little drag.
--They have several Torpedo Diver sized up to those that require a downrigger.

--Yes you can still catch a kokanee trolling with a willow leaf and corn but there are a ton of other options that are fun to explore... especially if you want to target larger fish

Thanks.  I will check these out.  :D

rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 08:47:22 AM »

I stopped in at Wholesale Sports in Kamloops the other day and I found a Shimano Talora Kokanee rod.  Unfortunately there was too much month at the end of my money so I had to put it back.  Still it was nice to put my hands on it to get a sense of the type of action to look for in a kokanee rod.  I am buying a new tinnie this year so the kokanee specific setup may have to wait until next year.

RRV

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »

Rootbeer: If you're in the Kamloops area a fun Kokanee lake is Niskonlith. The fish are on the small side, but starting around the middle of May the fishing can be fantastc. Also, specialized gear isn't required: a canoe, a $30 rod/reel combo, and a wedding band with a worm will get the job done.

spoiler

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 08:00:28 AM »

TFO fly rod 2wt is what I use in Kawkawa Lake. I had a friend re & re a Dragonfly fly reel so it's a centerpin/mooching reel with a free spool and adjustable drag system so I can bottom fish or troll with it. Any size of fish is fun on this set up.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »

Any soft rod and any reel will work for Kokanee.
This aint rocket science folks.
Spinning reel,mooching reel,fly reel,levelwind reel,line wrapped around a stick or tied on to the end of your toe.
They all work.

riptide

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 02:14:11 PM »

We always had a rule when trolling for kokanee ,when you think your trolling to slow ...slow down .Troll with a zig-zag pattern , always had more luck on the outside rod on the turns . Main line to 2 oz. banana weight , 24" of main line to rubber snubber ,willow leaf to a wedding band with pink maggies was our  go to . A simple system but very effective .As firstlight said any rod will do , just change your line or use a different spool after you troll if you are using a spinning combo ,it will twist your line making it difficult to cast .
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »

-We always had a rule when trolling for kokanee ,when you think your trolling to slow ...slow down .Troll with a zig-zag pattern , always had more luck on the outside rod on the turns

--If you always catch on the outside of a turn that would suggest speeding up.

--Any Rod, Reel or line will work just as any fly will work (sometimes).
-- If you wish to target larger fish then many of the rules change...for sure it can always happen by chance just like the lotto... no denying that some people do win the lotto.

--I gear up for the fish that I would like to catch which is not always the same as the ones I do.
--Thus I use a variety of equipment and as good a quality as I can afford.

--When targeting larger fish you can get skunked while others fill the boat with smaller kokanee.

ddddd05

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 12:25:21 PM »

Hi RRV,

How is that okuma rod for downrigging for trout under 10 pounds?