Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Boats  (Read 7428 times)

insanepolarbear

Fishing Boats
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:59:37 PM »

Hi, never posted here before, but long time visitor.

I want to buy a small boat(aluminum/fiberglass) for lake fishing. I am looking for something I can handle(move by myself) and transport on top of my jeep. My price range is $500 - $1000. I am hoping to be able to fish local lakes(sasamat, buntzen, alice), but also 4WD access lakes too.

I would like something that I could put a small motor on but also use efficiently with oars. Big enough for max 2 ppl or me and the dog.

Would it be better for me to go with a pontoon boat? Seems to be the cheap answer, but are they safe on big lakes?
Any dealer suggestions or good brands?
What's your folks preference?

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Boats
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 11:25:19 PM »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:16:57 AM »

springbok aluminum punt 9 footer.  Easy to fish from, stand up in, light, easy to transport, and 2 can fish comfortably...oh, and shallow draft.

clownfish

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:42:40 AM »

As you're going to be cartopping it, I would recommend that if you go for anything larger than a frog boat, that you go with aluminum, rather than fibreglass, as fibreglass boats start to get kind of heavy as you get into the 10ft. and larger sizes. Other options include plastic, like the PortaBoat, very light and they fold flat so storage requirements are greatly reduced, or some of the smaller/cheaper canoes, you'll likely have to buy used on most of these as they are usually somewhat more than your upper price limit when new.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 08:36:30 PM »

Aluminum canoe + square stern + motor = paddle or motor your way into easy boating. Unless you are an insanepolarbear with a genetic modification to prevent back strain or hemorrhoids from trying to load a 12 foot boat on top of your car by yourself. Life is all about choices
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »

Try SeaEagle.com for nice inflatables. With floorboards and motormount. SeaEagle 9 can handle 1200 lbs. Two people, a dog and and a small horse. Packs into your trunk.

insanepolarbear

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:03:58 AM »

ha, real horses weigh a ton. sorry i have an affinity for draft horses.

Know of any dealers in the lower mainland where i can find these boats? I like the sounds of the "springbok aluminum punt 9 footer".

Craigslist seems to be all bayliners and hole filled rust buckets.

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 08:43:32 AM »

Hey

Check out Bharat Automarine for the Porta-bote

Saw em at the Boat Show really sturdy construction and setup and take down is a snap there is a nice 8ft model that would suit your needs

http://www.bharatautomarine.com/
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

David_R

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:06:02 PM »

Everyone is going to have different answers and suggestions for you based on their experiences and what they've used.

Look at what you want to use the boat for, think about what features are important to you.

When I made this decision about a year ago I was looking for something that was stable enough to stand up in and cast, large enough to hold three people and gear, easy to transport and store (live in an apartment + small car) and would be suitable for the ocean and lakes.

I bought a 8.5' inflatable with hard floor and v-bottom, my dad gave me his old Evinrude Junior 2hp motor and it goes pretty good, I use it for everything, I've been out crab fishing in it, salmon fishing in the ocean, fishing a few lakes (row or motor, it goes good just under human power) and out in the harrison river. This is the manufacturers link if you want to know about it more: http://www.aquaquick.com/p1.html

I want to get a canoe as well because I grew up in a canoe, but theres no way I could haul in a crab trap standing up in one or even handle as rough of waters as I have in my current boat. Each style has it's advantages and disadvantages, do your research and good luck

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:06:57 PM »

If you want it for flyfishing I would suggest a flat bottom aluminum boat that's at least 52" beam for stability.  If you can find a Harbourcraft flyfisher they're tough to beat...they'd be in the $1000 range if they haven't been pimped. You can use an 8-10 horse motor on them and they weigh a 100lbs. They get snapped up right away when up for sale. Stay away from the Lowe jon boats in the short models.....very narrow beam, tippy, and the sides are very short.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 06:11:12 PM »

You can find a little jon boat used for $500-$1000 than get yourself a good electric and your set. Keep an eye on craigslist. BTW I sold the frog boat.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chummer

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 07:17:19 PM »