Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for advice on flies and set up.  (Read 7303 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Looking for advice on flies and set up.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 07:23:42 AM »

Sandman, right on thanks for that! Do you tie the zonker down at the tail as well as the head? Or just tie it in at the head and let it swing freely at the tail? Some flies I have tied in classes we've tied at zonker in at the tail, then finished it off by tying it in at the head. I am guessing just tie it in at the head and let it swing freely the same at the standard feather?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:25:55 AM by Spawn Sack »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 08:58:49 PM »

Sandman, right on thanks for that! Do you tie the zonker down at the tail as well as the head? Or just tie it in at the head and let it swing freely at the tail? Some flies I have tied in classes we've tied at zonker in at the tail, then finished it off by tying it in at the head. I am guessing just tie it in at the head and let it swing freely the same at the standard feather?

For Muddlers, just tie at the head.  My pink flies I tie both as you describe.
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »

I tie my rabbit wing in at the head only, yes i still add the feather tail. I cut the rabbit strip so that it extends barely past the hook length making the tail still visible. Like i said i replace the deer hair with rabbit but i try to keep the same proportions.

If you tie the rabbit in at the tail AND head you lose all the movement that a free standing wing gives you and instead have a flickering tail.

The more you tie the more you will adapt your own patterns, variations of current patterns, tiny yet subtle changes to already good patterns.........etc.

for example how i add orange into my flies for the Nicomen Slough. They like orange in there but not always and sometimes its a little bit and other times its the entire fly, other times its copper/orange. These are the small subtle changes you learn over years of fishing the same areas and what slight things work while others dont.

then the next hardest part is figuring out the better areas, the learning never ends  ;D

If i can find some time and remember perhaps i can toss up a few pics
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:10:48 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/