Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flyfishing for socks  (Read 4818 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: flyfishing for socks
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 08:10:13 AM »

I'll second the rolled muddler.  It's a very reliable fly and I've had great success with it.

purplehelmet

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »

I fished the Harrison yeaterday f/ a boat & the vis was piss-poor.  I had to work hard to hook 3 Pinks in a million casts.  Chart. Clouser worked, although if they could see, many flies would have.  When tying, I had the wrong hook, wrong colour thread, & Polar Bear Hair instead of Bucktail (I was too lazy/cheap to go buy more materials).  Now the Clouser gets a spot in my box.  Thanks, again.  I could neither confirm nor deny I saw any Sox jumping--tons of Pinks, though.  Also lots of flossers across the Fraser hootin' & hoolerin'.  I wish they'd shut that fishery down or restrict the gear to 2' leader & size 1 hook!
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 08:39:05 PM »

I fished the Harrison yeaterday f/ a boat & the vis was piss-poor.  I had to work hard to hook 3 Pinks in a million casts.  Chart. Clouser worked, although if they could see, many flies would have.  When tying, I had the wrong hook, wrong colour thread, & Polar Bear Hair instead of Bucktail (I was too lazy/cheap to go buy more materials).  Now the Clouser gets a spot in my box.  Thanks, again.  I could neither confirm nor deny I saw any Sox jumping--tons of Pinks, though.  Also lots of flossers across the Fraser hootin' & hoolerin'.  I wish they'd shut that fishery down or restrict the gear to 2' leader & size 1 hook!

Most of those fish you see are Sockeye,  the native nets are full of them, which is why it was so hard to get those pinks.  I have been fishing the Harrison for the last few days and the pinks are few and far between still.  Give it a few more weeks.
Not all those who wander are lost

purplehelmet

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »

I was @ the confluence & there were tons of Pinks & they are very distinctive the way they look/jump + the Socks are generally bigger...  I did see some big splashes & missed what the fish looked like...  Upon leaving I noticed some clean water upstream f/ the #7 bridge.  Chehalis water I presume.  C & R there, but maybe better fishing?

Tight Loops,

purplehelmet

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »

Some guys do that in the Fraser because it is like chocolate milk, not that I'm condoning it.  In cleaner streams they bite.  I'm sure y'all know that & have caught them in the Vedder or Thompson before.  The day I went was from a boat in the Harrison & although dirty, I did entice 3 Pinks to bite my fly, no Sox, however.  I wasn't flossing, I can tell you that.