Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River August 10th - As they rolled into Garry Point Park  (Read 1315 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Nina and I went down to Garry Point Park after an early dinner to test out some of the spinners that I had just made up. ;) I was also hoping to see some more salmon with the big flood tide happening around 9:00pm. The water clarity is still terrible for this time of the year. Normally the tidal Fraser River will have around two feet of visibility, right now it seems to be around 1 foot. This makes spinning for anything rather difficult.

After missing a couple of taps and watching Nina landing a pikeminnow a few evenings ago, I was determined to get one. ;D The size 3 spinner with a green blade enticed a couple right away as I could feel the light tap. Perhaps the size 1/0 hook was too big since the fish were not sticking. After 30 minutes or so, I slowed down the retrieve after feeling another tap, immediately the fish decided to commit. ;)

Nothing to get too excited about, but it still felt great to get a fish on a spinner that I just made up. :) This was rather a small northern pikeminnow, an average fish at Garry Point Park is usually around 2 feet in length.

As flood tide approached, we started to see salmon rolling into the Fraser River. Directly in front of the park, we could see a couple of rises every minute. The seals were busy patrolling as well.

Today's sunset photo. ;)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Tidal Fraser River August 10th - As they rolled into Garry Point Park
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 10:13:18 AM »

Now that is a nice sunset pic Rodney. Unfortunatly here in Maple Ridge we did not get to see the sun at all.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Tidal Fraser River August 10th - As they rolled into Garry Point Park
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 11:49:28 AM »

Visible sunsets are very common here in Richmond. They make fishless days much easier to tolerate. ;D