Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking to up my steelheading game  (Read 18451 times)

mvelasco

Re: Looking to up my steelheading game
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2013, 02:57:38 PM »

interesting techniques being discussed. I 've utilized the technique mentioned (keeping tension on your line) this past salmon season and saw great results. clean hook ups but you really have to feel that little tug. as far as steelheading advice I have little to offer. thank you to all the previous posters and the original poster. by far one of the best s/h threads I have seen in a while!

I guess my one piece of advice would be:don't fall asleep at the reel...lol
tight lines to all. :)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Looking to up my steelheading game
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »

interesting techniques being discussed. I 've utilized the technique mentioned (keeping tension on your line) this past salmon season and saw great results. clean hook ups but you really have to feel that little tug. as far as steelheading advice I have little to offer. thank you to all the previous posters and the original poster. by far one of the best s/h threads I have seen in a while!

I guess my one piece of advice would be:don't fall asleep at the reel...lol
tight lines to all. :)

Haha I'll second the "don't be asleep at the reel" part! The few that I have managed to hook have been after a long day of casting, freezing cold, attention span tapering off, probably more focused on what some angler is doing, half watching my float, and then...where is my float?! Oh crap I have a fish on! It's hard to stay focused and confident when s/h fishing...but you just never know when that strike will come. So you MUST be on your float and be ready to hammer that hook set.