Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Purchasing fishing licenses at sporting goods store  (Read 17072 times)

Burbot

Re: Purchasing fishing licenses at sporting goods store
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »

I buy most of my fishing equipment online. I tired a while back of the attitudes of retailers here. Many Canadian retailers need to learn something about customer service instead of complaining.  I have been to many countries and Canada has the worse customer service of the places I have been. They act like it is a chore to serve you instead of their job.  There loss not mine as with shipping included still cheaper to order online and without the backtalk from unhappy employees.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »

You missed out mentioning the cost of ink and paper. Also the time taken selling a license is time taken away from selling tackle or doing some other service at the store. Sort of a double cost really.
If someone has a computer to be able to discuss this topic online, they should just be purchasing their license at home also. Great sites like this one have all the links to be able to do so.

Ive had a computer for quite a few years now but do not have a printer and don't have the need for one.
Unfortunately one of my favorite stores wouldn't sell me a licence either.
I have to be really stuck now to go in there and spend any money.
Charge me a couple bucks extra,i don't care,but don't refuse to sell me one.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »

Ive had a computer for quite a few years now but do not have a printer and don't have the need for one.
Buy it online save to a pdf or whatever and print at a public library

Or go into one of the stores that offers it and just print it off.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »

I'm in the same boat here. no use for a printer other then once or twice a year. Do iPhones have printers on them yet?
A fishing store that outright refuses to issue a license (extra fee or not) sure wouldn't get my business back. Charge me the fee if you MUST. Just print the dam thing off.

I live in Langley and still drive out to Stillwater in Ladner for all my waterfowl needs, for one reason only. Pulling up a stool and getting good customer service.

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »

I'm in the same boat here. no use for a printer other then once or twice a year. Do iPhones have printers on them yet?
A fishing store that outright refuses to issue a license (extra fee or not) sure wouldn't get my business back. Charge me the fee if you MUST. Just print the dam thing off.

I wonder if anyone saves the license to their devices and then when inspected by an officer, would this still prove to be valid, or an illegal license since it has to be printed and signed?  Can't we do digital signature on PDF and then add to our device and show CO's when inspected?  I'm sure everyone's experienced having a wet license by falling in the water or being rained on, keeping it in the wrong pocket lol...
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

Drewhill

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »

I wonder if anyone saves the license to their devices and then when inspected by an officer, would this still prove to be valid, or an illegal license since it has to be printed and signed?  Can't we do digital signature on PDF and then add to our device and show CO's when inspected?  I'm sure everyone's experienced having a wet license by falling in the water or being rained on, keeping it in the wrong pocket lol...

Problem is if you're fishing for springs or steelhead you need to be able to mark your license.

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »

Hmm good point, but you are able to edit your files, so if they create license that is mobile friendly, you can edit it and update when necessary?
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 07:55:45 PM »

I was told last year by a CO in Squamish that it must be printed on standard sized paper.  I had mine shrunk about half and he told me I needed to reprint it to the proper dimensions when i got home.

But I do carry around a digitally signed PDF file in case I lose it or other things happen.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 05:07:45 PM »

I hate to imagine what the poor hunters or fisheres of the non mobile world used to do to ensure they have their license with them!

On a serious note, the paper license cant die or run out of batteries.  Only has ink bleed and maybe tears when your unfold it while wet.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 07:58:23 PM »

I guess they need to produce licences on stone tablets for the old farts.
Join the modern world and stop wasting the valuable time of your local shopkeepers.
They are having a hard enough time staying afloat.

smokin joe

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 10:10:15 PM »

You guys are getting way off track on this subject now. Pretty bad if you cant figure out how to look after your license. Maybe you shouldn't have one.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 06:07:38 AM »

--Maybe the store should refuse to sell less than a dozen fly's at a time because it is not cost effective to have an employee deal with someone who only purchases one fly.

4four

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 11:37:10 PM »

The whole licencing system is now broken.

For decades the hand written licence has been the norm. It had it's share of flaws, but it worked. In a previous life i spent many years behind the counter issuing those licences. The vast majority of people coming in for licences, purchased nothing else. In fact, a few would go as far as getting vocally frustrated at the fact that they were not accommodated as quickly as they desired because all the available floor staff are servicing people wanting to purchase equipment. It was a PITA, with numerous other headaches that others here have mentioned, but it did work Ok.

An example I witnessed today of the new Tidal Waters system was as follows:

Customer - Can I buy a salt licence here?

Clerk - Sure, do you have your old licence or angler number?

Customer - No, I got my licence at a lodge last year and have no such number. He also tried to call to retrieve the issued number, and was given a message that it could take up to 3 days to get back to him with his angler number. He wanted to fish tomorrow.

Once an anglers information is in the system, there is no way to circumvent the process. Name, address, phone number - redirects back to the angler number request.

I'm sure the majority of people who post on this forum take care and diligence to save that information for the following years licence, but I can assure you that X1000 regualar Joe Public does not.

In these situations the shop can't issue the licence, because with the new system the onus is on the licencee to provide the information to submit for the new licence.

Regardless of time, cost, manpower, to a licence vendor. I can't blame them for washing their hands of it.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:18:06 AM by 4four »

VA7DDP

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 12:46:07 AM »

Actually, the Tidal System lets us search you via name and date of birth.

If we enter you as a new fisher, and it recognizes you it will automatically put in your angler number. If you are not found in the system, it just proceeds to register you as a new fisher.

For Re-Print, we have two ways of searching you up either via Name and DOB, or Angler Number and DOB.

None the less, the Tidal Licencing system is "Offline" 25-30% of the time.

----

The Non-Tidal System, well if you don't have your angler number I cannot do a Re-Print, except in a rare instance where we try and enter you as a new angler and it finds you.

TimL

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 07:32:36 AM »

Hmm good point, but you are able to edit your files, so if they create license that is mobile friendly, you can edit it and update when necessary?
Just saved a signed pdf copy to my phone (that's a very good idea btw). You can add text and update it on the Adobe app. I always keep my hard copy neatly folded in a small waterproof ziplock stored in my wallet.