Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagging on the Cap  (Read 9251 times)

nevertoolate

Re: Snagging on the Cap
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 06:57:47 PM »

thanks for all the information.  I was quite upset at the time but thanks to the postings here I know more about the situation.  This is the advantage of a forum like this.  So much information.  And really very few places where you could find it.  I didnt even know that about the west bank. 

Today I also snagged a pink.  Got it on the tail.  Let it go.  Obviously. 

Anyway.  Thanks guys.

sbc hris

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 05:38:33 PM »

Good post Tylsie!...

Tangles

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »

They truly do need those fish and with the weather, and limited return they are having it hard enough.
Definetly trying to not sound rasist (cmon lets not play that card at least this one time), and definitely agree with most of your statement regarding the historical aspect of this.
But I can't agree on that quote. "They truly need this fish". Like seriosly, my kids need to eat healthy diet too. And if you are talking "harvesting" and "sustaining their communities" then ask yourself what percentage of the bands annual profit is coming from fish sold on the side of the road. I can tell you that the list of the properties they own and lease is staggering- Park Royal Mall, several hi-rises on the seawall, several marinas and the list goes on and on. Do you really think they NEED those cohos so badly so they can get by? Like how many fish could you speculate they harvest and sell? Not that many I can assure you.
Again, not trying to bash on the Natives, I think they deserve what they have plus a lot more, as well as they deserve to have the right to make a proper living, and I cant mitigate the fact they were extermnated by our culture. All I'm trying to say is they don't rely on snagged hatchery cohos to maintain their living.
Just my two cents, hopefully I didn't hurt anyone's feelings

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 07:10:22 PM »

I can understand your point and I have experienced frustration to see or hear of Coho being sold for cash or swapped for cigs.  However, while Squamish is probably one of the wealthiest Nations around, that does not mean individual members are wealthy.  Often far from it.  Many nations are very divided along blood lines and those that are in or out of power and therefore those who have and have not. 

The Bands as we perceive them (the federally supported and funded chief and council) generally only become involved in harvesting fish on a commercial basis.  The Squamish Nation per say is unlikely to be involved in the cap harvest either by snagging or the tradition method of trapping fish in weirs.  In some cases if there has been a commercial opening, some of the fish may be distributed to the membership, but not always.  Therefore, what you and I are most likely seeing on the east side of the cap are individual members catching fish for themselves and in many cases for their extended family and elders and in some instances the less well off members are also making a little extra cash. 

Burbot

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »

Well on my way back from Kamloops today they werre selling salmon on the road side near Aggasiz, so food fishery my arse.

Maybe some should get jobs instead of playing the victim card endlessly.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 10:21:41 PM »

:)did you phone RAPP?

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 10:59:41 PM »

Well on my way back from Kamloops today they werre selling salmon on the road side near Aggasiz, so food fishery my arse.

Maybe some should get jobs instead of playing the victim card endlessly.

Burbot whats wrong with selling fish? That's a job. If they have a small commercial business under the table business so what. The whole reason a lot of our fisheries still exist and haven't been completely annihilated is because of the pushback from the natives.  No need for that racist crap on the forum.

TNAngler

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 07:32:20 AM »

Burbot whats wrong with selling fish? That's a job. If they have a small commercial business under the table business so what. The whole reason a lot of our fisheries still exist and haven't been completely annihilated is because of the pushback from the natives.  No need for that racist crap on the forum.

What's wrong?  "under the table", meaning it is ILLEGAL.  My dad spent years raising coho in Washington.  He put millions of fish into a system that was almost annihilated.  Should he have the right to go down and catch more than his allotment because he helped out the system?  No, because that is illegal.  If they aren't supposed to sell the fish, they aren't supposed to sell the fish.  Period.  Doesn't matter what race they are or what they did previously to help the system.

dobrolub

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »

No need for that racist crap on the forum.

I don't find that remark racist. There is not a mention of race in that remark.

Your remark, on the other hand, tells me you find yourself guilty and acting out of guilt isn't a good thing either. Get over it.