Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shinfins - Interesting concept  (Read 1875 times)

gheart008

Shinfins - Interesting concept
« on: March 16, 2008, 10:38:32 PM »

http://www.shinfin.com

I personally thought it was a cool idea when I first saw them, but was more interested if they would work while float tubing.  I emailed the guy and this was his response:

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in shinfin fins.

Yes, we do have happy float tube customers. The streamlined kick technique of shinfin fins works just as well if you are sitting in a float tube, and you kick so that you propel yourself backwards. You still kick from your hip, without bending your knees too much, even though your legs are of course sloping down in the water. Power comes from the big muscles in your thighs and torso without straining your calf muscles, ankles and feet like foot flippers. Turning around is quite straightforward too ? you kick forward with one leg and back with the other. You can also kick sidestroke in a float tube so you go sideways - it is a little harder but still works well. If your back is flexible, you can even kick so you go forwards, but the flotation balance of the tube means this usually doesn't work as well as going backwards. You can do all this smoothly, and without the fins breaking the surface, so there is minimal disturbance to the water.

And, of course, your feet are free to walk and push off the bottom as required. The straps adjust so you can wear shinfin fins over waders and with water shoes. To minimize drag, water shoes should be streamlined and flexible (so you can point your toes), without heavy sole or heel areas. It is best to use the light, flexible water shoes designed for swimming and beach walking.

I hope this helps you. Please let me know if you have any more questions please ask ? I am here to help.

Cheers,
Marc

Any thoughts?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Shinfins - Interesting concept
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »

They might make your foot cramp. But if they don't looks like you could make one out of a piece of plastic pretty easy. Also looks like no backstroke the fin just bends away from leg. 
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Shinfins - Interesting concept
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:46:38 PM »

They might make your foot cramp.

That's the first thing I thought of was cramp in the arch-next was having the hair on your leg rubbed off by the constant action from the plastic on your skin.

I've snorkeled a lot and see no advantage over scuba fins at all.