Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Fish Hold-up ?  (Read 5148 times)

greybark

Vedder Fish Hold-up ?
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:18:56 AM »

::) Many have posted on how the Steelhead are forced to hold up when water conditions are low and clear . Most mentioned is the KW bridge area . Emotional posts claiming Steelhead caught over and over again with hopes of rain to move these out of there .
 ::) The question I have is - Do these fish stack up (KW Br) ?  Another question - Do these fish move thru there in small pods giving the impression of stacked numbers ?

CHUMHUNTER

Re: Vedder Fish Hold-up ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:03:50 PM »

They seemed to be holding right under the KW bridge yesterday and just down from there. Saw about 4 fish hooked and 2 landed in the P.M. A.M. was better. We were up top yesterday. My son lost one and I had a good hit but no hook up. Did not see any fish up top so they must be holding down lower. Rain is on the way.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:05:05 PM »

Fresh fish have been taken above this area daily so they are moving through.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »

I been abiding my time waiting to hear the outcome to this very important topic. Loooks like some streams you can floss your self silly, while others like the Fraser everyone gets all puffy and self righteous about a foot or two too much leader. What gives?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:03:22 PM »

The Chilliwack/Vedder is an urban stream and crowding now and forever into the future is a fact.   It is time to consider restricted access.  $50 gets you a permit for any five days in the year.   A second $50 gets you another permit with no further renewals allowed.   Money collected can be used to subsidize ski lift tickets for holders of valid but unused access permits in a lottery to get them off the river.   Seriously though, fishing more than 10 days (or maybe 15 or 20) a year on an urban stream is taking more than your fair share.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »

The Chilliwack/Vedder is an urban stream and crowding now and forever into the future is a fact.   It is time to consider restricted access.  $50 gets you a permit for any five days in the year.   A second $50 gets you another permit with no further renewals allowed.   Money collected can be used to subsidize ski lift tickets for holders of valid but unused access permits in a lottery to get them off the river.   Seriously though, fishing more than 10 days (or maybe 15 or 20) a year on an urban stream is taking more than your fair share.

You will restrict access to the river, city council will restrict access to the city, where will the people go?
Why don't we just sit at home and watch TV. Isn't that what the media and the government want.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »

If you want to meet Fisheries 'up close 'n personal' take a chainsaw/shovel/whatever down to a fish bearing stream and start doing some 'home improvements'. ::)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:16:20 PM »

Seriously though, fishing more than 10 days (or maybe 15 or 20) a year on an urban stream is taking more than your fair share.

Can you define taking your fair share? Do you mean keeping fish?

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:28:19 PM »

WHERE ARE these vocalists now?, are they down there trying to set people straight as to lack of ethics?   I told C.G. in the summer that this is what he and his group should be concerned with,the flossing in the Vedder NOT the Fraser. My guess is there is too good of fishing right now to worry about problems like that!

Not all fishermen give a hoot about fish, conservation and environment.

Restricting access to the river is not the answer.
I want to fish any time I want to fish.
I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, gamble, play poker, watch TV etc...
So if you restrict my access to the river I will start to smoke, drink, gamble, do drugs...and that's not going be good for anyone.
Catch my drift?!

But I would be prepared to have a limit of 1 steelhead a year to take home, 1 salmon a day etc..as long as I can catch and release all I want.
Sport fishermen should be organized better into larger groups because only then we can have a voice and make a difference.
Bigger is better.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »

Sport fishermen should be organized better into larger groups because only then we can have a voice and make a difference.
Bigger is better.
[/quote]The Sportsfishing Defense Alliance is and has been doing this for many years. Many fishing groups FVSS, Drift Fishers, BCWF, Fraser Valley Guides, and many others are represented under this banner. Please check out their web site for more information. They also welcome donations to make their voice bigger and better.

roeman

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 10:32:37 PM »

Not sure about the other groups, but Fraser Valley Guides Association is not a group I want protecting the future of fishing.  You mean to tell me the floating lodge and their 30 boats would not be out every day in August catching and releasing sockeye for the almighty dollar..  30 boats x 4 anglers per boat average 10 fish per person = 1200 sockeye per day.  According to what I have been told by the counters at Island 22 boat launch, 1 of 3 die after release, that would be 400 dead sockeye per day for two to three weeks.  Lets put floating lodges up and down the river, they can fish right off the docks.  No need for guides and more money for the company. 
Are you fishin or catchin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »

Not sure about the other groups, but Fraser Valley Guides Association is not a group I want protecting the future of fishing.  You mean to tell me the floating lodge and their 30 boats would not be out every day in August catching and releasing sockeye for the almighty dollar..  30 boats x 4 anglers per boat average 10 fish per person = 1200 sockeye per day.  According to what I have been told by the counters at Island 22 boat launch, 1 of 3 die after release, that would be 400 dead sockeye per day for two to three weeks.  Lets put floating lodges up and down the river, they can fish right off the docks.  No need for guides and more money for the company. 

Quite the opposite. It is rather unfair to be making these generalizing and mostly false comments on the FVGA. Last year, members of the FVGA follow a strict guideline and during the selective fishery request period all members only practice barfishing and sturgeon fishing. At the Upper Fraser Valley SFAC meetings, which take place twice each year, the FVGA always has two representives attending, so an ongoing dialogue is continued with DFO and other recreational angling groups. Members of the FVGA also donate their boats and time at the Cultus Lake Pikeminnow Derby to take kids out fishing. They also donate boat time when the Fraser Valley Salmon Society needs to do work on the Fraser.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 12:15:55 AM »

wow this comment really ticks me off....
The Chilliwack/Vedder is an urban stream and crowding now and forever into the future is a fact.   It is time to consider restricted access.  $50 gets you a permit for any five days in the year.   A second $50 gets you another permit with no further renewals allowed.   Money collected can be used to subsidize ski lift tickets for holders of valid but unused access permits in a lottery to get them off the river.   Seriously though, fishing more than 10 days (or maybe 15 or 20) a year on an urban stream is taking more than your fair share.

I'm 16 and fishing keeps my outta trouble, lol (and I would rather do it that than sit on a couch and get fat)
I think we should be able to fish all we want, it's rediculous to say that we can only fish the river 20 times a year when I probably fished around 200 times last year.... I love fishing and don't mind if I catch anything and I can even say I rarley keep fish unless they are REALLY clean and. I probably only kept 20 fish last year, thats like 10% of the times I went fishing, I think a catch and release would be much better than limiting days... because I think fishing is about having fun  not necessarally about catching and keeping fish.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 12:25:07 AM »

yar C&R is good i agree 100 % i'd rather have good fishing without meat than sucky fishing with meat
hardware == fish

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 06:45:58 AM »

yar C&R is good i agree 100 % i'd rather have good fishing without meat than sucky fishing with meat

do you use barbless hooks????....cos this would be a good way to help survival rates when C&R'n them thar lil' fishies....and would make the meat-hunters have to actually have some skill...just my thoughts on a fishery I never fish...but have fished similar water..;))

mojo always curious ;D
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley