Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Its Time!  (Read 2223 times)

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
Its Time!
« on: February 23, 2008, 10:58:47 PM »

I think its time, Time to close the canal system to fishing from the months of Jan. through March. Explode the gauntlet and let some of the fish into the system. I can't believe that some of these elbow to elbow fisherguys have resorted to this kind of fishing? Yeah if I crossed the bridge and saw some people fishing with the coffee grinders I would say yeah okay but to see guys with $600.00 dollar outfits standing side by side for a five minute fight, wow? I s this kind of fishing a social thing where you go to just yak all day, compete against your buddy, find some seam that is maybe four feet wide and start flossing these fish? Are any of you going to write a book about the o8 year of great fishing on the Vedder River System, I hope not! This fishery really has to  be looked at as far as the hatchery and the people who work so hard to give an individual the hope of getting both excersise and maybe the chance of cacthing the elusive steelhead but not in the manner of what is happening in the canal. Whant to fish like that , get your lawn chair and become a bar fisherman? on the fraser. Pathetic.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Its Time!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:39:15 AM »

Well I'm glad you took the important first step in posting it on a fishing site. $h!t will definitely change now.  ::)

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 08:13:39 AM »

It's never going to change! This is not a defeatist position but rather one of opportunity. Leave the Vedder as the sacrificial lamb for the kook show and then fish elsewhere. The most important next step, don't post about it. I'm not suggesting that the sole reason for the increase in pop. of fisherman on the vedder (or any other system) is due to forums however, it is a great contributer. I think that the forums are a great tool for communication but the topic choices with respect to fishing reports are too often too much. Save the pissing contest. This information needs to be earned. Earning that esoteric knowledge comes from time spent on the water learning the system, talking to those who are fishing around you and passing it on the old school. Along with that comes some respect and river etiquette.  ;) 
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

Colorado Grinner

• never enough
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »

It's never going to change! This is not a defeatist position but rather one of opportunity. Leave the Vedder as the sacrificial lamb for the kook show and then fish elsewhere. The most important next step, don't post about it. I'm not suggesting that the sole reason for the increase in pop. of fisherman on the vedder (or any other system) is due to forums however, it is a great contributer. I think that the forums are a great tool for communication but the topic choices with respect to fishing reports are too often too much. Save the pissing contest. This information needs to be earned. Earning that esoteric knowledge comes from time spent on the water learning the system, talking to those who are fishing around you and passing it on the old school. Along with that comes some respect and river etiquette.  ;) 

Well put Ffonly.Posting about the problem will only make the problem worse.There are to many "anglers" out there that are only focused on the easy catch,no matter what combination of methods used.These forums are quite often method one. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:29:45 AM by Colorado Grinner »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »

this sort of fishing is the norm now.. the only good thing i can say about it is that there have been many fish tubed for the hatchery down there and thats always a good thing especially because of the struggle to get fish this year for brood. but despite that i havent seen as many snaggers/flossers down there this year compared to 2 years ago... not that it probably isnt happening but most people I have seen around there arent flossing.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 01:38:06 PM »

If you fish it out of the peak time, you are fine. I fished it many times without anyone next to me for hours. The trick is knowing when to fish it.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 04:31:04 PM »

two votes for sacrificial lamb.  If you don't like it, do some reading and go exploring!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 08:17:46 PM »

You close that spot and they will just move upstream to the next one like it. Sometimes you just can't win and have to watch some bad practice, using top end gear. They don't look good on hero shots wearing plaid.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 09:34:46 PM »

All we need is rain, heavy rain to flush the system to bring more fish up. The low & clear condition make fish migration slow and they are stuck down there to be slaughtered by the gong show. When did steelheading become coho fishing? Hate to see a 'royal' game fish like steelhead to be taken this way. But hey, as long as they are fishing legally, and wild steelies are released, I have to respect their choice to fish this way. It is a free country.