Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette  (Read 53223 times)

hrenya

Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »

And the real estate is so limited on the Cap.
Flyfishers don't try to crowd you out they just need a little more room.
I can fish gear or fly with folks doing the opposite but! Only if they know, or at least have an idea,  of what they're doing).
On other rivers, like the Veddar, the river favors gear chuckers, fly fishers are more limited.
yeah , exactly , if you snagging trees behind with your flys , it doesn't really look like you know what you`re doing , that was the case with that guy ....

but if you guys said im wrong , it`s cool , I`ll bring my flyfishing setup with me next season , grab my buddy , and we will own a pool cuz I still suck casting it and need "MUCH MORE ROOM" ...

I guess I finally got it , it still looks wrong to me ,  but if "oldtimers" and "guys with etiquette" says this is how it is .... I will follow :)

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2016, 06:29:55 PM »

Sounds like similar guys I met on a squamish trib last year. Decked out full simms with the top gear catching the trees behind them and still wading out to their nipples... They got mad while I was catching fish in their seam 60 ft down stream. Not all guys are like that, but some feel like they are above other people based on what they have and wha you don`t have.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »

Personally, I've never been that horny to fish a spot.
I fly fish and gear fish.
Fish well with both experienced fly and gear guys.
Sometimes not worth the headache with others.
IF you're fishing the Cap be forewarned.

BUT! Like I said (wrote) there's limited real estate (rocks and standing room) if you walk in late to a situation don't expect others to move.
I've had guys with surf rods try to slip in in amongst a few of us that were all  in sync  and mess everyone up.
I time my Cap trips carefully.
Good luck but sometimes it's more headaches and I'll drive a little further to avoid those. 8)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2016, 06:34:13 PM »

Jeez, someone's got their panties in a knot.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2016, 07:45:03 PM »

Yeah but when u have 1 fly fishing guy and he took half a pool , and another dozen floating anglers on a second half - that just looks ridiculas to me , me and my buddy left , but those angler didn`t look happy . so according to you I can come first to the spot , bring my sturgeon setup and hook a 20oz weight cast upstream and lock 2/3 of pool for me - that would a right thing to do ?! that's what you pretty much saying , and I`m saying you should you right gear on a PEAK of season at CROWDED spots . so according to you 2 flyfishing guys can own a pool . this is no fair .
Unlike float fishers who can drift their float upstream to a certain point downstream and still catch fish.  Meanwhile the fly guy tossing streamers or intruders for steelhead/salmon has to cast at about 30 - 45 degrees downstream and allow his fly to swing through. was the pool fast or slow moving water, you seem to have left that out. 

The stuff I bolded, is it supposed to read "i'm saying you should use the right gear"?  Please clarify

hrenya

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2016, 07:58:07 PM »

it was fast water , his casts sucked , so if a dozen of angler get their stuff in a water and in drifting down , he cast upstream , he didn't use streamer or intruders ... its was a tighny fly .

hrenya

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »

Unlike float fishers who can drift their float upstream to a certain point downstream and still catch fish.  Meanwhile the fly guy tossing streamers or intruders for steelhead/salmon has to cast at about 30 - 45 degrees downstream and allow his fly to swing through. was the pool fast or slow moving water, you seem to have left that out. 

The stuff I bolded, is it supposed to read "i'm saying you should use the right gear"?  Please clarify
btw u bolded nothing

hrenya

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2016, 08:00:16 PM »

hey but why to bother ? :D you guys said I was wrong , he was right , let carry on , wonder how it will look in a few years ....

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2016, 08:30:39 PM »

Yeah but when u have 1 fly fishing guy and he took half a pool , and another dozen floating anglers on a second half - that just looks ridiculas to me , me and my buddy left , but those angler didn`t look happy . so according to you I can come first to the spot , bring my sturgeon setup and hook a 20oz weight cast upstream and lock 2/3 of pool for me - that would a right thing to do ?! that's what you pretty much saying , and I`m saying you should you right gear on a PEAK of season at CROWDED spots . so according to you 2 flyfishing guys can own a pool . this is no fair .

Ok, I had earlier thought you sounded like you respect other anglers, but now I am sure I misunderstood your other post, as now it sounds like you just want to be a jerk.  Equating fly fishing to you using sturgeon gear and "locking 2/3 of the pool" on purpose (when there is no chance you will catch a sturgeon there), just sounds like you have no respect for fly fishermen, despite you recently taking up the technique yourself.  It now sounds to me like you showed up late to a pool that already had 12 gear guys and one fly fisherman (perhaps a newbie like yourself still working on his casting technique) already fishing it and you are pissed because you could not fish it yourself.  You just want to be able to fill up the other half of the pool like the guys on the other side were doing.  I get it it now. 

And to answer your question, yes, two fly fishermen (or gear fishermen for that matter) CAN "own" the pool if it is only big enough to take two, just as one fisherman can own a run or pool if it is a small one that only one guy can reasonably  fish at a time (as many pools and runs are on the smaller stream I usually fish).  Now, that does not mean you HAVE to respect the guys already there and go look for a spot you can fish, but you need to accept that if you go ahead and crowd yourself in beside the guy, you are acting selfishly and are probably going to ruin his day.  You are welcome to do that, no law against it, but if you do it then you are being a jerk.  Chances are if you stay and watched for a bit, or introduced yourself, asked how fishing was, inquired how long he has been trying that spot, there is a good chance he would tell you that he will probably be giving up soon and you can take the spot.  If on the other hand, you see him hook a fish, then you can expect he will probably be there a while longer until he has caught his limit or tired himself out. 

It sounds like you were just pissed that a fly fisher (who needs more room than a drift fisher) beat you to a spot.  Just as guys spin fishing spoons and spinners can crowd closer together than guys drift fishing roe (drift rods are longer and require more room to cast), guys fly fishing need more room to cast, and their line in the water needs more room to swing or strip than a drift fisher (most of whose line is up off the water between the float and rid tip).  You just clearly do not like guys fly fishing the Cap when you think more guys could crowd into the pools if the fly fishers were not there.  I get it now.  My mistake.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:41:38 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2016, 08:51:51 PM »

btw u bolded nothing

He bold faced your words where you said "you should [use the] right gear [for] PEAK season in a crowded spot."  This is the part which shows your disrespect for fly fishermen on the Cap. You see fly fishing as being the wrong gear (the same as using sturgeon gear).  I would note that since you came late to that pool, it is possibly that spot was NOT crowded when the fly fisherman first started fishing, and the other gear guys came after, like you.
Not all those who wander are lost

Zackattack

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2016, 11:25:29 PM »

Hopefully this time he proofreads his response to you guys... haha

hrenya

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2016, 02:17:42 AM »

lol , my point is not me being a jerk , and not me and my bud being late at the spot , point is if you have no idea what you are doing and taking half a pool to yourself and creating problems for dozen anglers , according to you guys - its ok .

I never said I would bring my sturgeon setup to cap for sturgeon , I do know I can catch springs in cap using a bar rig . so me and my setup = im being a jerk even if ill make it before anyone , but that guy with his setup is cool ... where is logic ?!

hrenya

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2016, 02:32:59 AM »

I always respect flyfishing guys , I met a few on fraser during pink season and quite a few on lakes , they gave me tips showed some tricks , couple of those guys gave me few flies they tied and I had no problems with them at all . But if you coming to spot during a season LEARNING how to cast and CREATING problems for other anglers , what etiquette you guys are talking about ?! When I got my baitcaster last year and pin later on , I spend tons of hours in a park by my place before I hit water , even with my flyfishing setup I carried to cap I never used it if it was crowded . What makes that guy special ?
You thoughts about me being a jerk to all anglers are false , I`m still talking about 1 guy at 1 spot for 2 years I`ve been fishing :)

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2016, 07:32:23 AM »

I always respect flyfishing guys , I met a few on fraser during pink season and quite a few on lakes , they gave me tips showed some tricks , couple of those guys gave me few flies they tied and I had no problems with them at all . But if you coming to spot during a season LEARNING how to cast and CREATING problems for other anglers , what etiquette you guys are talking about ?! When I got my baitcaster last year and pin later on , I spend tons of hours in a park by my place before I hit water , even with my flyfishing setup I carried to cap I never used it if it was crowded . What makes that guy special ?
You thoughts about me being a jerk to all anglers are false , I`m still talking about 1 guy at 1 spot for 2 years I`ve been fishing :)
I like many others learned how to fly cast on the water.  dynamics are different then in a park, unless it's a lake (even then there are differences though).  A park doesn't have trees to hang your fly in, and it doesn't have fast moving water that changes the angle of your lift to your cast location.  The other thing he gets as a new angler is the ability to read how the water affects his fly line.

Besides learner or not the way you describe it, your description is similar to what I'd expect to witness from a fly Fisher regardless of skill and experience level.

Walleye76

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2016, 08:07:21 AM »

But guys how are we suppose to pack 20 guys into a pool if those damn fly fishermen don't have the "etiquette" to use the "proper" setup to allow for combat fishing? Lol sounds to me like the "etiquette" your looking for is that people need to be considerate enough to allow as many (12 in this case) other anglers in the pool as want to fish it...Just a guess but....did you start fishing during sockeye 2014 at Peg Leg??
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11