Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette  (Read 53223 times)

TheChumWhisperer

Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 04:48:17 PM »

Another Steelhead season, and another thread about fishing etiquette on the Vedder...

hrenya

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »

LOL , if you people think v/c is bad , go to Richmond and try to fish for herring :D with all my politeness and respecting to anglers - I NEVER was swearing that much and being angry . Just give it a try :) and you will go on v/c with smile on your face , you will enjoy a river and a view :D

TimL

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2016, 06:54:50 PM »

LOL , if you people think v/c is bad , go to Richmond and try to fish for herring :D with all my politeness and respecting to anglers - I NEVER was swearing that much and being angry . Just give it a try :) and you will go on v/c with smile on your face , you will enjoy a river and a view :D
lol...when I was there I tried to smile and be polite as much as possible to the guy beside me who kept casting his jig across my line...it's not worth getting pissed off over some small fish. Furry Creek last year during Pink season was a similar sort of gong show..some interesting drama I witnessed there...not sure whether I want to go back there again for pinks.

hrenya

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2016, 09:19:17 PM »

tim , actually that coho ninja spot you know now , very good for pinks too :)
but I recommend to start at Richmond , and move torwards new west :)

TimL

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2016, 10:39:21 PM »

tim , actually that coho ninja spot you know now , very good for pinks too :)
but I recommend to start at Richmond , and move torwards new west :)
Actually I caught my pinks out at New West..lost a few more in Richmond!

RRV

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2016, 01:58:13 PM »

I find that the magnitude of asshattery goes up in direct proportion to the number of people fishing an area, and because I fish to relax, I don't fish the Vedder or any of the usual spots close to the lower mainland.  If you can find an out-of-the-way place it's great, but anywhere with a crowd is simply too much aggravation.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2016, 07:44:38 AM »

I find that the magnitude of asshattery goes up in direct proportion to the number of people fishing an area, and because I fish to relax, I don't fish the Vedder or any of the usual spots close to the lower mainland.  If you can find an out-of-the-way place it's great, but anywhere with a crowd is simply too much aggravation.
Main reason I pretty much avoid the salmon fisheries when I am home and instead target trout from Hope and beyond into region 3.  Too much crap going on that makes fishing unenjoyable.

brandooner

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2016, 04:18:38 PM »

Have only been out a hand full of times so far this year, but haven't been corked once and I haven't ran into any "Richard Craniums" either. So far so good, just needa hook into some fish!
The Fishin' Musician!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2016, 06:04:12 AM »

Agreed. It's funny that the majority of people complaining about bad behavior on the Vedder don't fish it.
I have fished for steelhead on the Vedder pretty regularly since 2009 and other than fenceposting I haven't seen a single incident of bad behavior. Even every fenceposter has been cordial when I ask to fish below them.
Don't fish the easy access meat holes. They aren't very productive anyways.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2016, 03:21:34 PM »

Don't fish the easy access meat holes. They aren't very productive anyways.

Isn't this a contradiction?  I thought a "meat hole" was a term used to reference a productive piece of water that frequently produces "meat".  I think you meant to say not all easy to access spots are "meat holes" or that just because a lot of guys are fishing there spent mean it will be productive.

I disagree though, that those that complain do not fish there, as it is the experience fishing there that the majority of those complaining are complaining about.  The most frustrated complainers are those that do not fish the easily accessed parts (Browne Rd being an exception perhaps), where they have walked into a less accessible run and then get low holed by someone who walks in afterwards and starts fishing the tail out of the run you are half way through.  As I said earlier, the Veddder has become an excuse to behave poorly, but etiquette is not something you can explain away or avoid because you think the other people are not using it.  You either have it or you don't.  You either respect other people or you are rude and selfish. It is a question of your inner character as a human being, nothing more.
Not all those who wander are lost

hrenya

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2016, 03:32:23 AM »

Isn't this a contradiction?  I thought a "meat hole" was a term used to reference a productive piece of water that frequently produces "meat".  I think you meant to say not all easy to access spots are "meat holes" or that just because a lot of guys are fishing there spent mean it will be productive.

I disagree though, that those that complain do not fish there, as it is the experience fishing there that the majority of those complaining are complaining about.  The most frustrated complainers are those that do not fish the easily accessed parts (Browne Rd being an exception perhaps), where they have walked into a less accessible run and then get low holed by someone who walks in afterwards and starts fishing the tail out of the run you are half way through.  As I said earlier, the Veddder has become an excuse to behave poorly, but etiquette is not something you can explain away or avoid because you think the other people are not using it.  You either have it or you don't.  You either respect other people or you are rude and selfish. It is a question of your inner character as a human being, nothing more.

we all make mistakes , we all learn . you can`t say "You either have it or you don't.  You either respect other people or you are rude and selfish." I dunno how many times I posted , from 2 years of fishing experience , im learning , I don't have it right away , I do respect people , but 1 time when I got to cap with my bud , and where was a guy flyfishing - he took half a pool with his casts , and he yelled at me and my buddy when we were watching him to get out his way so he can cast , and we could see another 10 anglers on a second half of the pool shoulder to shoulder ....  THAT was my first time I got angry .... isn`t it just a common sense ?! if 10 people float fishing , and a water has quite a flow - wtf ?! I`ve been at cap hundreds of times , all times I was enjoying my trips , my first cohos landed there were on roe I had , and I shared it with a guy I hiked from parking and we were talking , both of us were newbies , he use my roe and got a fish :) I was very happy , more happier than that guy was :D I never had problems with people fishing around me , the only thing I tried to avoid stop with big amount of people when I was learning baitcaster/pin .
now lets go to c/v , after reading all these posts about combat fishing and blahblahblah , I went there a few times , and guess what - I did enjoyed it !!! all the people around me were nice and friendly , they correct me if I was doing something wrong , they NEVER were angry if my line tangled with theirs ,cuz I told them right away im just a newbie and trying to learn .
I really don't know where you guys are fishing :D for 2 years , 1 case with that flyfishing guy , other than that - people are friendly and willing to help .

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2016, 11:39:54 PM »

we all make mistakes , we all learn . you can`t say "You either have it or you don't.  You either respect other people or you are rude and selfish." I dunno how many times I posted , from 2 years of fishing experience , im learning , I don't have it right away , I do respect people , but 1 time when I got to cap with my bud , and where was a guy flyfishing - he took half a pool with his casts , and he yelled at me and my buddy when we were watching him to get out his way so he can cast , and we could see another 10 anglers on a second half of the pool shoulder to shoulder ....  THAT was my first time I got angry .... isn`t it just a common sense ?! if 10 people float fishing , and a water has quite a flow - wtf ?! I`ve been at cap hundreds of times , all times I was enjoying my trips , my first cohos landed there were on roe I had , and I shared it with a guy I hiked from parking and we were talking , both of us were newbies , he use my roe and got a fish :) I was very happy , more happier than that guy was :D I never had problems with people fishing around me , the only thing I tried to avoid stop with big amount of people when I was learning baitcaster/pin .
now lets go to c/v , after reading all these posts about combat fishing and blahblahblah , I went there a few times , and guess what - I did enjoyed it !!! all the people around me were nice and friendly , they correct me if I was doing something wrong , they NEVER were angry if my line tangled with theirs ,cuz I told them right away im just a newbie and trying to learn .
I really don't know where you guys are fishing :D for 2 years , 1 case with that flyfishing guy , other than that - people are friendly and willing to help .

Yes, I can say it.  You either respect other anglers, or you do not.  You sound like you respect other anglers, but I may be misreading your post.  The "I am a newbie and don't know better" only last so long. We are not talking about innocent gaffs of missing a cast that sails over another's line. We are talking about people knowing acting in manner disrespectful to other anglers on the river, some going so far as boast how they don't care for etiquette because it is the Vedder (or the Cap for that matter).  If you walk up and stand behind a fly fisherman, even if you are newbie, it is obvious you are going to be in his way.  If you walk in below him you don't need to be a veteran to know he will not be able to swing a fly and avoid you hooking his line. So if you do either of these things, regardless of how new you are, then you have no respect for him and only care for your own enjoyment.  If you respected him, you would not walk in below him, or stand in his back cast and you would move higher upstream or wait until he has moved. It really is that simple. If you had gotten there first, you would expect the same of him.
Not all those who wander are lost

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »

...but 1 time when I got to cap with my bud , and where was a guy flyfishing - he took half a pool with his casts , and he yelled at me and my buddy when we were watching him to get out his way so he can cast , and we could see another 10 anglers on a second half of the pool shoulder to shoulder ....  THAT was my first time I got angry .... isn`t it just a common sense ?! if 10 people float fishing , and a water has quite a flow - wtf ?!

Sorry Hrenya, but this time you are wrong.
If the fly guy was there before you and the other gear fishers, he is completely within his rights to fish that pool and ask you guys to stay away from his "zone". In moving water the "zone" is pretty much the length of line he is casting floated downstream. I myself would be pretty pissed off at you if you cast your line over my drifting fly line (unless we came to fish together and you know what you are doing).

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2016, 04:46:56 PM »

And the real estate is so limited on the Cap.
Flyfishers don't try to crowd you out they just need a little more room.
I can fish gear or fly with folks doing the opposite but! Only if they know, or at least have an idea,  of what they're doing).
On other rivers, like the Veddar, the river favors gear chuckers, fly fishers are more limited.

hrenya

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »

Yeah but when u have 1 fly fishing guy and he took half a pool , and another dozen floating anglers on a second half - that just looks ridiculas to me , me and my buddy left , but those angler didn`t look happy . so according to you I can come first to the spot , bring my sturgeon setup and hook a 20oz weight cast upstream and lock 2/3 of pool for me - that would a right thing to do ?! that's what you pretty much saying , and I`m saying you should you right gear on a PEAK of season at CROWDED spots . so according to you 2 flyfishing guys can own a pool . this is no fair .