Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Supplement vs Freshwater Reg's  (Read 1776 times)

ali2pali

Salmon Supplement vs Freshwater Reg's
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »

So after 6 calls to DFO, and 2 messages with no response(s) I thought I'd see what the community thinks about this...

When looking at the freshwater reg's there are some rivers that are stated as "fly fishing only" for parts of the year or on certain sections. However, when you look at the salmon supplement it does not necessarily show these same restrictions. In fact they basically show completely different dates and rules. It would appear (to me) that different rules apply to different fishing.
My question is, when targeting salmon specifically, is the salmon supplement the be all and end all of what is and is not allowed on a river?
Thanks for the help!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Salmon Supplement vs Freshwater Reg's
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:26:16 PM »

My question is, when targeting salmon specifically, is the salmon supplement the be all and end all of what is and is not allowed on a river?
Thanks for the help!

No. The Province regulates all angling rules other than the retention of salmon. Read the Provincial regs first!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ali2pali

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:04:37 PM »

So the supplement just speaks to retention and not to other rules on a specific river. Ok.
Its confusing as on some rivers the supplement specifies "fly fishing only" which is clearly a method of fishing as opposed to just a straight retention quota.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:07:33 PM by ali2pali »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »

If the provincial regs say a river is fly fishing only during a certain time, it is fly fishing only.

If you are referring to DFO's regs, they don't state the gear that you can and can't use because they don't regulate freshwater bodies of water.

"Fisheries and Oceans" Canada is responsible for tidal (salt) water species and MFLNRO is responsible for non-tidal (freshwater) species.

Of course, Salmon and Steelhead overlap. Salmon are anadromous, meaning they spend part of their life in saltwater before returning to freshwater to spawn. Steelhead too are anadromous, but while they are classified as a "salmonid", their biology differs. All else being equal, they have the same genes as rainbow trout, which is a freshwater species.

So for regulation purposes, salmon fall under DFO's umbrella, and Steelhead fall under MFLNRO's umbrella.

Regardless of the species you are fishing for and whether you may retain such species, MFLNRO will regulate the time(s) of the year the freshwater body of water is open, and dictate the fishing method you may use.

In terms of fish, DFO set the openings and closures for salmon, and MFLNRO set the openings and closures for steelhead.

If you have any system-specific regulation questions feel free to PM me.

ali2pali

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 03:17:02 PM »

If the provincial regs say a river is fly fishing only during a certain time, it is fly fishing only.

If you are referring to DFO's regs, they don't state the gear that you can and can't use because they don't regulate freshwater bodies of water.

"Fisheries and Oceans" Canada is responsible for tidal (salt) water species and MFLNRO is responsible for non-tidal (freshwater) species.

Of course, Salmon and Steelhead overlap. Salmon are anadromous, meaning they spend part of their life in saltwater before returning to freshwater to spawn. Steelhead too are anadromous, but while they are classified as a "salmonid", their biology differs. All else being equal, they have the same genes as rainbow trout, which is a freshwater species.

So for regulation purposes, salmon fall under DFO's umbrella, and Steelhead fall under MFLNRO's umbrella.

Regardless of the species you are fishing for and whether you may retain such species, MFLNRO will regulate the time(s) of the year the freshwater body of water is open, and dictate the fishing method you may use.

In terms of fish, DFO set the openings and closures for salmon, and MFLNRO set the openings and closures for steelhead.

If you have any system-specific regulation questions feel free to PM me.

Excellent answer. Thank you  for taking the time to explain it :)