Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deer lake  (Read 2975 times)

nickfrost

Deer lake
« on: September 19, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »

Has anyone been out to deer lake recently with any luck? whats best to use? flies, spinners, spoons, etc
Thinking of trying it out this weekend

jacklam999

Re: Deer lake
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »

i went 3 days ago, and i got 1 trout and some hand size bass. used bottom fishing

KarateKick

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »

I've caught sunfish and bass by jigging worms.

I would love to catch some of the big carp after I find out how to do it.

CurrySonic

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »

Caught a small pike minnow a few months back! Not sure how they get in there....

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »

Deer Lake / Burnaby lake feed into the Fraser so thats probably how those pike minnows get in there, probably how the bass also find their way in there too. Might be a bit of stretch, I can't really see how the bass would travel down from where they are more commonly found (pitt / burnette rivers) unless they are chasing / following the minnows or salmon fingerlings maybe the small trout too?
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Burbot

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »

Deer Lake / Burnaby lake feed into the Fraser so thats probably how those pike minnows get in there, probably how the bass also find their way in there too. Might be a bit of stretch, I can't really see how the bass would travel down from where they are more commonly found (pitt / burnette rivers) unless they are chasing / following the minnows or salmon fingerlings maybe the small trout too?

The bucket brigade is why and the government does not care. Some lakes in Interior when perch and bass are found they close the lakes to fishing completely and in this region 2 they bag limit is still 4 and that should be changed to 'no bag limit' and encourage people to catch and kill them.  But i think the bass club out there has it in with politicians and that is why after all these years still no changes to the regs or nothing being done by the province to try and curtail these vermin but it is probably too late now..

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »

Ugh, that also makes sense.

I've had bass before its actually kinda tasty, first time I had it was when I went fishing as a kid in Penticton, years ago we caught them in the canal (where they do the tubing) that goes into Skaha Lake. We caught them float fishing with bits of honey ham, lol.

Maybe its time to start making them a food target species until they are all gone.  I mean would anyone really care if people started taking 5 or 8 bass home for the fry pan? IF it meant trout/char had a fighting chance?

I would never condone poaching in any capacity of course, especially when my DFO application is still floating up there.  :o
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 03:39:38 PM »

The bucket brigade is why and the government does not care. Some lakes in Interior when perch and bass are found they close the lakes to fishing completely and in this region 2 they bag limit is still 4 and that should be changed to 'no bag limit' and encourage people to catch and kill them.  But i think the bass club out there has it in with politicians and that is why after all these years still no changes to the regs or nothing being done by the province to try and curtail these vermin but it is probably too late now..

Tinfoil hats everyone!