Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Person Found In The Vedder  (Read 11543 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Person Found In The Vedder
« on: January 01, 2006, 10:54:33 PM »

I was told today at the derby a body that apparently been in the water for sometime was found below Wilson Road in Yarrow on Friday. I had not heard any news reports other than this report.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Person Found In The Vedder
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 11:02:46 PM »

Was it a fisherman ?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 11:09:50 PM »

Was it a fisherman ?
Do not know but the body had been in the water for a while so you know what that means. :-X

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 11:22:51 PM »

You would have thought that someone would have reported him missing.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 12:23:32 AM »

aww man that grose any one get any more info on it  :-X

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 01:16:06 AM »

This is getting a little creepy if heard of two bodies in the vedder and seen one floating down river face down before two years ago.
[

dnibbles

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 11:16:39 AM »

Ewwww, probably got stuck in a logjam until the high water......be careful out there guys!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 12:30:23 PM »

That is grosse..Imagine finding it yourself :-X
weeeeeeeeeow!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 01:45:59 PM »

its very traumatizing. when i was thirteen i witnessed a girl jump off the lion's gate bridge. my dad and two brothers (along with a dozen other fishermen) were down below to see her broken body swirling in a whirl pool. nothing we could do. :'(
needless to say, that was the last time i ever fished that spot again  

as for that body from the vedder, i hope the next of kin can be found.

my condolences to the family.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 03:39:26 PM »

My condolences to the family. This should serve as a reminder to all of us to play it safe when on the flow.  I learned how easily a river can swallow you whole at a young age and I'm very lucky to still be alive. When I was 8 I was fishing off a large rock on the Sol Duc when I slipped in...  I yelled out for help as I fell into the swirling pool in front of me. The current was very strong, it was pulling me down as I tried to grab on to the slippery rocks by shore to no avail. I felt completely helpless and at the mercy of the river.  Lucky for me my mother bolted down from the campsite and pulled me out in a matter of seconds before I was swept away to the series of rapids below.  It never stopped me from river fishing but the experience gave me a glimpse of how one false step can be your demise.  Always remember a fish is not worth your life. Think safety first and don't take any chances.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 03:53:56 PM »

I had a similar experience as Eagleye. Be careful out there, your life is worth alot more than any fish.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 04:24:56 PM »

searun 17 has a story of how he pulled a guy out of the river one steel head season. I wish he would come on and tell the story for all to here. It really made me shake my head on how people think that a fish is more important then their own life.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 05:00:08 PM »

Ya gt this guy just makes me wonder what the hell he was thinking,one day in early February i was fishing in the mid river area enjoying a day on the river that day the river was quite high and moving at a pretty good pace ,just as i was about to lay out another cast i happened to look up river and all i saw was the head of this guy sticking out of the water and he was coming down river fast,so i layed down my rod and waded out into the river up to my waste but i didn't think i could reach him so i yelled to him to extend his rod for me to grab but he wouldn't do it because he had a fish on,so i waded out farther and now up to above my waste with water that was moving, i knew i had only one shot to catch this guy before he went by ,as he came by i managed to grab him by the back of his vest but i couldn't pull him all the way in, this is when another fisherman saw what was going on and helped me pull him out,when we pulled him to safety he was totally exhausted,the other fisherman grabbed the guys rod and reeled in a 15lb hatchery steely for him,i don't think this guy knew what kind of trouble he was in , a few more yards down river the water was quite deep and i don't think he would have made it past that point.I asked him how he fell in ,he told me he hooked the fish and it got snagged on a stump so he waded out to try and untangle it then lost his footing in the moving river which was about 4 feet deep,to me there will allways be another fish,but once your dead thats it ,i could only shake my head at this guy.Be smart out there people a fish isn't worth it.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 05:03:53 PM »

Unbelievable. :o

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 05:28:29 PM »

I guess there are worse ways to go. Feeding the fish takes on a whole new meaning when your trying to catch them on bait that happens to look a lot like yourself. I wouldn't be suprised if the person found was one of the drunken partiers that drift down the river in the summer :(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?