Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trolling for trout with a canoe on lakes  (Read 11292 times)

Jazza

Re: trolling for trout with a canoe on lakes
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »

Thanks everyone for the great tips!!!  Less than 2 weeks now and I am getting excited to get the canoe out and try these tips.  My local Canadian Tire also had a clearance sale on tons of lures so I bought a few wedding bands, a willow leaf, and some Williams Wablers and Mepps spinners.

I also bought my wife a rod so we can get two rods out while we all use the canoe.  And I bought my 2 1/2 year old one of those kiddies floating rods so he can troll a little plastic HOOKLESS  ;) ;D casting spoon and not try and use mine.

bcsixgill

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »

If you're planning on Kokanee, you might want to ad a little bit of surgical tubing (I think its called a snubber) to act as a shock absorber between your lure and the main line.  I forgot about their soft mouths and lost many before an old-timer took the time to correct me.  Made the difference between Mac & cheese or fresh fish for dinner.

canuckjgc

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 04:13:29 PM »

Get a motor for the canoe if you don't already have one -- paddling and then trying to reach for a rod means plenty of lost fish.  Been there done that.