Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: 2012 floss-out  (Read 71603 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: 2012 floss-out
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »

I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Some people dont have the luxury of walking in to a shop and dropping whatever amount of money on a set up. As I stated I learned to bb. I was given a spare set up to use before I got my own. Huge advantage. my point is it seems like the there is a lot of pissing and moaning about bouncing yet not a lot of people desire to lend a hand and encourage a camaraderie directed at fixing the problem.

Its easy to sit behind a computer or even behind your rod on the river and make comments, put bouncers down but what have you (not personally you whom im quoting) done to better things at the end of the day.

Unless you are using sturgeon gear to floss on the Fraser, you can use the same rod and reel to float fish on the vedder.  Hey it might not be the best but it can be done.  So all that gas to Hope, the cost of 3 oz betties, the cost of 4/0 hooks etc.. are cheaper than a few floats, a tub of roe and a few small hooks?  really?  poor excuse in my opinion.

Look I've done my share of flossing for Socks in the past but I knew what it was all about.  Nothing more than just a harvest.  I didn't talk about it, didn't take or post hero shots or brag about hooking 20 or 30 in a day.  Just took my two Socks and left.  Now I don't even do that anymore because personally I have more enjoyable things to do.  There is too much glorification of what is essentially a meat fest.  The sooner that flossing is advertised as such the better off we would be.

bcguy

« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »

Always the same debate
My self, if I chose to partake in the Sockeye fishery when its open then yes BB is pretty much the only way to take them
For all other species I use different methods
But I look at it like this, if you want to buy a sock from the store, well my friends thats called netting, do it your self or netted...whats really more ethical? Damn if you do or damned if you do, I wonder which method causes a greater depletion of this resource?
Whole damn thread is about a method of targeting, yet commercial fishing with the factory ships and nets is OK?
Thats where this whole argument becomes moot to me. Arguing about which lock is better while the cow wanders out of the barn LOL  :D
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

LP89CG

« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »

Unless you are using sturgeon gear to floss on the Fraser, you can use the same rod and reel to float fish on the vedder.  Hey it might not be the best but it can be done. 

Noted.

Think I could use sturgeon gear to bar fish spring?

Bandit420

« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2012, 11:36:51 AM »

So I have been reading a lot of this thread and I have a few things to say in regards to some of the "point of views"

Some people have NO CLUE what they are doing when it comes to fishing. Fishing is one of those activities where you now have to pretty much be taught or guided into the sport.

I was taught to bottom bounce, invested in bb'ing gear and thats almost the full extent of my salmon fishing. A lot of people view it as negative and I can understand why. But maybe some people are too intimidated, or dont know enough to try other techniques. I would probably have better luck making a fly rod into a spear and spear fishing than to even try casting, picking a fly, etc.

Last year I tried float fishing the vedder in the fall. I watched how to videos and read articles but that only goes so far. As a younger guy it gets intimidating going into a shop and pretty much asking/saying "hey, i have no clue what im doing, what gear to use, what method to fish with said gear." and that is why I go out, bottom bounce, " snag, floss, whatever" my salmon and eat em up.

Also having invested in bb gear I am strapped for funds for other gear. I would love to learn how to fish a centerpin, float fish properly, fly fish... etc.

So before everyone just thrashes the sh** out of bottom bouncing be a sport do something about it. Offer to teach, post videos, post things that you've found helpful. I know there is this huge secrecy thing with fishing, but I swear that wont help anything.

Thats where web sites like Rodney's come into place. This site is so helpful for new anglers. Watch some videos on this site, ask questions(they wont kill you), ask for advice. The internet is a powerful thing these days and can lead you in the right direction if you know where to look. dont be shy when going to tackle stores and asking questions, thats what they want because they want to sell you tackle/bait. All the fellows working at tackle stores all started fishing the same as you.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

oolichan2

« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2012, 01:06:54 PM »

Noted.

Think I could use sturgeon gear to bar fish spring?

Absolutely, although it can be touch to chuck lead with a shorter Rod. As for your other posts there are lots of guys trying to influence anglers to fish by other methods. Rod is fighting the good fish, and has tons of articles on how to catch fish using the gear you already own.

I actually understand your point of view, this is how you learned to fish. As mentioned this is the failure of this fishery, a group of new anglers that only knows how to snag.

My argument is with the guys like Athezone that know better, and show so much ingorance about this fishery:

"And as for the people complaining about bb'ing saying that it will shut down the river quicker : That may be the case but do you really think with the high water this year you would of bar fished in June, and some other fellow even mentioned May, that made me laugh. Yup, blame it all on the bb'ers and in the meantime I'll be laughing with friends and drinking a frosty. See Ya"

He knows this fishery is a loser so he keeps making lame my friend excuses as to why he keeps doing. Here is a guy that doesn't even realize that there is a popular creek mouth fishery and that the creek mouths were pounding out fish this year in full freshet. We couldn't kill them in June, cause if we could him and his troop of snaggers would have been trying to find any open piece of gravel to toss 10' leaders. The guy doesn't care if the river gets shut down as long as he can bonk his "reds" in the easiest method possible.

oolichan2

« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »

Just a thought but I think we need a shame campaign to call out the guides that are still flossing springs. There are a number of guides - like Rod Toth, Wade Gienow - that have not participated in this fishery for years, at the expense of their business. Guys like this take the long view - that if we can create lower impact, higher quality fisheries on the Fraser we can have longer seasons.

Shame campaigns work - think of the smoking campaigns of the last ten year, and the MSC and Oceanwise programs for restaurants. I'd love to highlight guides that are promoting a sustainable fishery, and identify those that are trying to squeeze every buck out the river. That way people would have a choice when they book a charter to choose the guide that best represents their beliefs on this issue.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »

Absolutely, although it can be touch to chuck lead with a shorter Rod. As for your other posts there are lots of guys trying to influence anglers to fish by other methods. Rod is fighting the good fish, and has tons of articles on how to catch fish using the gear you already own.

I actually understand your point of view, this is how you learned to fish. As mentioned this is the failure of this fishery, a group of new anglers that only knows how to snag.

My argument is with the guys like Athezone that know better, and show so much ingorance about this fishery:

"And as for the people complaining about bb'ing saying that it will shut down the river quicker : That may be the case but do you really think with the high water this year you would of bar fished in June, and some other fellow even mentioned May, that made me laugh. Yup, blame it all on the bb'ers and in the meantime I'll be laughing with friends and drinking a frosty. See Ya"

He knows this fishery is a loser so he keeps making lame *** excuses as to why he keeps doing. Here is a guy that doesn't even realize that there is a popular creek mouth fishery and that the creek mouths were pounding out fish this year in full freshet. We couldn't kill them in June, cause if we could him and his troop of snaggers would have been trying to find any open piece of gravel to toss 10' leaders. The guy doesn't care if the river gets shut down as long as he can bonk his "reds" in the easiest method possible.

I don't need to make lame *** excuses oolichan I let you and the anti-bb'ers do it for me. I've been bb'ing since it opened oh' so many years ago and throughout all those years of being a member of FWR I never once said Jack because I knew what would occur. Only reason I did this year was because I needed some entertainment and I knew the know-it-alls on this site would provide it. Oh, and your shame campaign is totally 100% effective. I think I'll share it with my friends when I'm fishing this time tomorrow night. I'm sure they'll all want to fold up their rods and leave and never return. All the Best ooly, think of me this time tomorrow cus' you know where I'll be. Best !!!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »

I don't need to make lame *** excuses oolichan I let you and the anti-bb'ers do it for me. I've been bb'ing since it opened oh' so many years ago and throughout all those years of being a member of FWR I never once said Jack because I knew what would occur. Only reason I did this year was because I needed some entertainment and I knew the know-it-alls on this site would provide it. Oh, and your shame campaign is totally 100% effective. I think I'll share it with my friends when I'm fishing this time tomorrow night. I'm sure they'll all want to fold up their rods and leave and never return. All the Best ooly, think of me this time tomorrow cus' you know where I'll be. Best !!!
Once again you show your ignorance to the sport of angling. You are one of these Johnny come latelys who only knows how to fish one way. One day you will grow a pair. ::)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »

Monkey see monkey do.
Take the T out of Morton.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2012, 10:10:19 PM »

brag about hooking 20 or 30 in a day.

No brag, just fact.

When you're not bonking the first pinner, coloured up, face-hooked sock you reel in it's not difficult to release 5-10. Maybe stay another hour and release another 5 or 6 while trying your luck at a pink or spring (you're making the 200km round trip so may as well enjoy the day-off as much as you can; with an actual battle).

I grew up bait fishing for rainbows in lakes and have progressed to the fly. This year I've been floating fishing the Cap for 'hos as well, and have gotten a few on roe in the Vedder years back. Like others, bottom bouncing is just another form of angling that I currently enjoy. It's may not be the prettiest, with half the fish hooked in the side of the head, but hey; hero casting feels great, the lack of needing to watch your float constantly is relaxing, and standing waist deep in that flow on a sunny day is enjoyable as well. Add some fresh fish and a couple of wobbly pops to the equation and it makes for a good day.

Perhaps as I explore other methods on angling over the years bottom bouncing for sox may fall out of favour with me. Perhaps I'll do it until it's outlawed or I'm too old to crank a reel; those sox sure are tasty. I'm sure that the results of the recent tagging will have some influence on my decision.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:05:18 AM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2012, 11:13:27 AM »

imo just the fact that you said you  got 20 to 30 is BRAGGING. Boasting about how many sox you floss tells a lot about a person

I own 5 reels and 4 rods. I also own 3 cameras and 4 lenses. I have 12 pairs of socks too.

Am I bragging?

oolichan2

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »

Dude, I'm not envious of where you will be. Having your sister drive you to the river to snag fish isn't a position that will create much envy. I've got a jet, work from home, and live on the Harrison. I could klunk a spring bouncing every day. I get the temptation to bounce but I'm taking long position on this one.

And the idea of shaming wouldn't be directed at you and your buds. You've demonstrated that you have no shame. The idea is to highlight the guides on the river that are working against the best interests of the fishery.

So get out there tonight, tie up those 15' leaders and get your bounce on. Just know where this all ends, and that you are an active participant in what will be the closure of the river in likely less than a decade.

zabber

« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »

imo just the fact that you said you  got 20 to 30 is BRAGGING. Boasting about how many sox you floss tells a lot about a person

Lol, whatever man. All I said is I had an approximately 20 fish day least season and had a relatively good time doing it; way better than the one fish day a week later, just after a commercial opening. Did the fact that half the fish were hooked in the side of the head dampen the experience and get me thinking? Sure, but it was still an enjoyable outing. I wasn't boasting about it -- just sharing my point of view -- and it's unfortunate that you perceive me as a braggart. In fact, I'm surprised at this perception as I thought that a fish every 2-3 casts -- when they're in there -- is common, especially after what I've seen on the bar and after reading about how effective this technique is considered to be at hooking fish.

So get out there tonight, tie up those 15' leaders and get your bounce on. Just know where this all ends, and that you are an active participant in what will be the closure of the river in likely less than a decade.

Hmmm, interesting to learn that bb'ing has pushed back the opening dates. Thanks for the insights!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »

No brag, just fact.

When you're not bonking the first pinner, coloured up sock you reel in it's not difficult to release 5-10. Maybe stay another hour and release another 5 or 6 while trying your luck at a pink or spring (you're making the 200km round trip so may as well enjoy the day-off as much as you can; with an actual battle).

I grew up bait fishing for rainbows in lakes and have progressed to the fly. This year I've been floating fishing the Cap for 'hos as well, and have gotten a few on roe in the Vedder years back. Like others, bottom bouncing is just another form of angling that I currently enjoy. It's may not be the prettiest, with half the fish hooked in the side of the head, but hey; hero casting feels great, the lack of needing to watch your float constantly is relaxing, and standing waist deep in that flow on a sunny day is enjoyable as well. Add some fresh fish and a couple of wobbly pops to the equation and it makes for a good day.

Perhaps as I explore other methods on angling over the years bottom bouncing for sox may fall out of favour with me. Perhaps I'll do it until it's outlawed or I'm too old to crank a reel; those sox sure are tasty. I'm sure that the results of the recent tagging will have some influence on my decision.
Yes it will fall out of favor with you, maybe this year? ;D Most of us did this at one time before we saw what a poor way to take our fish when we can catch all we need by means where the fish bite.

I am in my 9th year or more of making the bb's I used into bar weights. ;D ;D

There is many in the same boat with more coming on board each season... ;D ;D ;D

zabber

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2012, 10:06:10 AM »

Yes it will fall out of favor with you, maybe this year? ;D Most of us did this at one time before we saw what a poor way to take our fish when we can catch all we need by means where the fish bite.

I am in my 9th year or more of making the bb's I used into bar weights. ;D ;D

There is many in the same boat with more coming on board each season... ;D ;D ;D

Haha, probably not this year -- as I don't have the luxury to go fishing more than a few times per year -- but perhaps in a season or two. I bought a bunch of plunking gear last week and have been meaning to check out that inlet fishery that ooli mentioned, for about a season now, so my Scale Bar days may be over soon enough.

Even though sox are tasty, I prefer battling large chinook (which are pretty darn tasty too). I've spent 4+ hours bottom bouncing on that bar with no spring to show for it, on one or two occasions, so I imagine that barfing or float fishing can't be too much less productive. I've read reports of the Vedder being very productive -- in season -- for reds, when fished appropriately (roe under a float), so I'll be sure to check that out next season as well.

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:17:56 AM by zabber »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14