Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 256348 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »

Misinformed?  Maybe, if I was an outside observer. 

Some catch on to what I'm saying.  Don't get me wrong, the capture technique for sockeye is a far cry from "fishing".  It's more like those carnival games where the barker gives you a line and you are guaranteed to hook something.  But is it really any different when only the village idiot can't snag a Pink during a tidal run?

No, it isn't. So given it's on equal footing, and many are catching and releasing for sport, and the skill set to land a Pink is much less than a sock, I raised the question.

The catch and release I agree with, in fact the majority of my fishing is the same.   Its no where near the same, in my mind, as people who fish for Sturgeon, a fish you can't even keep.  That's a protected fish... How is our bothering them, "protecting them"?  I have nothing nice to say about that concept, so I'll stop now... Besides that's trolling off topic anyway.

Back to the question... I respect the fly fishing for pinks... That's talent and sport. 
Would a baitcaster with a 12 lb mons see yo on a trout rod and a small pink flasher or spinner be a successful way to go?  Run that with a small float, weight, and 20 inch lead?  Anyone running that setup?  Similar?Let  I can see the challenge, sport, and fun in that.

Its only fishing. Its far from being a true skilled sport. Lets see you hit a 90mph fastball, drain a 50 foot putt, score on an elite goaltender etc Now thats true talent. Fishing hardly makes it into that class.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2011, 09:12:04 AM »

But I am done with this.  No more reports from me.
Quote Sandman Aug 24

One of the five 5 I got this morning on the incoming tide, but do not bother asking where. ::)  These were taken on a small pink bugger as my clousers were all chewed beyond repair and my larger pink bucktails (I figured the bigger the better in this water) did not produce.  Clarity was definitely an issue as I really had to work for these fish.  A very slow retrieve produced the best.  Only saw two guys fishing the bar as I drifted past but they finally got one to the beach just before I passed them.
Report Sandman Sept 2

Sooner or later, we all eat our words at some point  ;)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »

First salmon ever! And then I realized I snagged him, but I fought him so hard I was worried if he would even survive if released. So I kept him anyways.

And then the second one a half hour later  :D This one actually bit the hook! And it was on a home made rig of beads corkies and yarn. That was pretty cool.

Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

azafai

« Reply #288 on: September 04, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »

great job!
that encourages me to take my spinning set up and WALK to the river just close by.
thanks for the report.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »

great job!
that encourages me to take my spinning set up and WALK to the river just close by.
thanks for the report.

No problemo. I also had 2 bites, but I think they may have spit right away, or they just slapped the spoon, either way, went to set the hook and pulled water. And there were people catching at least, id say once an hour or so. So not non stop, but there was a school or two that passed by and lots of people got one or two. One guy grabbed a Spring Jack. Had no clue what it was, and he had to explain it to me, but that was pretty cool.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #290 on: September 04, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »

First salmon ever! And then I realized I snagged him, but I fought him so hard I was worried if he would even survive if released. So I kept him anyways.

And then the second one a half hour later  :D This one actually bit the hook! And it was on a home made rig of beads corkies and yarn. That was pretty cool.

Nice job! You just admitted to everyone that you retained a foul hook fish and posted self-incriminating evidence holding the foul hooked fish!

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #291 on: September 04, 2011, 11:45:58 AM »

Hahahah got to love salmon season on the coast. Read the regs people, EVEN IT WILL DIE AFTER BEING RELEASED A FOUL HOOKED FISH MUST BE LET GO!
always a student

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #292 on: September 04, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »

Well then, I will remember that for next time! Thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #293 on: September 04, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »

I wouldn't say don't worry about it, but I'd say just don't do it again. It's a pretty common mistake by those who are just starting out in this fishery. The intention is good, but it still is illegal. All foul hooked fish need to be released, regardless what the fish's condition is. If it dies, the nutrient it provides go back to the ecosystem anyway so it is still not considered as a "loss".

More fish to come. :)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #294 on: September 04, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »

I wouldn't say don't worry about it, but I'd say just don't do it again. It's a pretty common mistake by those who are just starting out in this fishery. The intention is good, but it still is illegal. All foul hooked fish need to be released, regardless what the fish's condition is. If it dies, the nutrient it provides go back to the ecosystem anyway so it is still not considered as a "loss".

More fish to come. :)

For sure. As much as I have tried to read up and inform myself, I still dont know everything right. I thought that people simply didnt keep foul hooks because of sportsmanship. Im really not worried about it though, whats done is done, but now at least I have solid info of the rules and will remember this if it happens again. And I get what youre saying about the recycling rod, thats a really good way of looking at things.

valleydude

« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »

relax,there are a pile of elitist on this site that will never be happy until they are the only ones that are allowed to enjoy the fishing,sure must be a real burden having to share YOUR fishery with us lesser lites,WERE NOT WORTHY

strobes

« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »

I got my first ever pink today, a nice big male. I then followed it up with another male, a female and another small female that I released because she was a bit one the small side.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »

relax,there are a pile of elitist on this site that will never be happy until they are the only ones that are allowed to enjoy the fishing,sure must be a real burden having to share YOUR fishery with us lesser lites,WERE NOT WORTHY

It is not about elitism there buddy, that's more a fly fishing vs gear fishing debate. It's about what legal while fishing and I do realize those new to fishing make mistakes. Your statement is just idiotic and ill informed. It's still a fishermans responsibility to read the regs. Fisheries officers will fine you whether or not you "say" you didn't know.
always a student

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #298 on: September 04, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »

Quote Sandman Aug 24
 Report Sandman Sept 2

Sooner or later, we all eat our words at some point  ;)

That wasn't a "report", I was just bragging.
Not all those who wander are lost

aaron.az

« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2011, 04:38:05 PM »

ugh! went out today again to derby reach for 3 hours. saw fish surfacing, few actually jump. casted out in front of them, not even a bite. im starting to think im doing something wrong, i kept with the same pink 3/8oz spoon. am i doing something wrong, should i be casting ahead of them? on top of them, whats the deal? starting to feel like it just aint workin for me