Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 257294 times)

Hook, Line and Sinker

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #270 on: September 03, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »

Ahaha, sox.
Wool.
Aggresive.

That's a good one. ;)

But I think you've missed the point of pink frenzy: it's a good sized run, that only happens every second year, which builds anticipation. And yes, they're easier to land than many other species, but I've seen a lot of fisherman put 3 hours in and go home with nothing so there's still some deal of skill and luck involved.

steve B

« Reply #271 on: September 03, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »

all you guys are lucky catching pinks i have not caught one this season its sucks being there so easy to catch im just at the wrong place and the wrong time its a little frustrating im 0/6 this year must be doing something wrong oh well happy fishing to all some got it some dont thats life theres definatly alot of sturgeon in the fraser never knew they jump

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #272 on: September 03, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »

Just got back from the river. Fished from 7:30 till 11 and only foul hooked a small doe which was gently released. Head back tonight for the night tide. Fish were pushing in in sizable numbers early, then tapered off as the tide rose. I hope I van continue to have success on the afternoon tide. Good luck.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

rickjames_2

« Reply #273 on: September 03, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »

I honestly haven't bothered with ppinks in most years past, but this year i'm really excited. why? well i am gonna try my hand at fly fishing for pinks, see how it goes. and like people have said, it's only every other year they come back so i can see people getting stoked for pink season.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2011, 02:22:44 PM »

Maybe it's me, but I don't get the fascination with Pinks.  It's brainless fishing, easy to land.  A sock, (and yes, they arent really fished, they are just aggressive and snap at anything in the way), a sock at least puts up a real fight.  That involves a bit more skill in landing it. 

I've released so many Pinks already, with one bad episode on a foul hooked one that exploded in bloodin the water,  as I was carefully landing her.  (yes, I released her to her watery grave.)

If you are taking the kids out to teach them the excitement of a fish on the line... Sure...  but can anyone really say that this is a skill?  Even flossing requires some technique, but this?

Maybe I should switch to a trout rod?

Hmm, numerous, 5 - 7 pounds, and active biters...yeah i can't see the attraction either. ::)
Not all those who wander are lost

Pac NW

« Reply #276 on: September 03, 2011, 02:47:13 PM »

I honestly haven't bothered with pinks in most years past, but this year i'm really excited. why? well i am gonna try my hand at fly fishing for pinks, see how it goes. and like people have said, it's only every other year they come back so i can see people getting stoked for pink season.

I tried fly fishing for pinks a couple of times two years ago but had no success. This year I have used my fly rod a couple of times and had success and it was a blast. Just came back from the Mamquam this morning where I hooked 7 on the fly. Great fun.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2011, 02:56:33 PM »

I tried fly fishing for pinks a couple of times two years ago but had no success. This year I have used my fly rod a couple of times and had success and it was a blast. Just came back from the Mamquam this morning where I hooked 7 on the fly. Great fun.
I have not found fly fishing very effective on the Fraser River - visibility is just too poor. Its brilliant on the Vedder if you can find some relatively uncrowded spots with good clearance.

crab

« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »

Fishing was pretty good on the incoming tide this morning. Hooked 5, and landed 3 thanks to netting by people beside me  :)
I was using pink twister tail attached to a 1/4oz jighead. Not the usual lure for pink, but seems to be effective for them.

noobfisher

« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2011, 03:42:32 PM »

Good to hear people getting into some pinks!  Got skunked today again, no bites.

fish.on

« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »

Ah good stuff. Now that you are locked and dialed in, try and leave a few for everyone else ;)

Haha. Just hope the excitement continues this weekend. Probably beginners luck  :)

rickjames_2

« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »

Not a bad start of the long weekend.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/09/03/be-confident-on-your-lures/

Two in the cooler definitely makes for a good start to the day, let alone the weekend.... I know this is a frasser thread but i just wanted to add that i was near the vedder canal this afternoon and not much to be seen... can't wait for them to pack in.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

newb33

« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »

Getting good out there caught my first pink on the tidal Fraser ever today 6 or 7 skunked days but finally now I'm never gonna make it to work that I've got my first

crab

« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2011, 08:01:19 PM »

Getting good out there caught my first pink on the tidal Fraser ever today 6 or 7 skunked days but finally now I'm never gonna make it to work that I've got my first

Congratulations on your first pink :)

I got my first pinks this week as well, actually these are the first salmons that I've ever caught and
they are  amazing fight on the same rod I usually use for soles, perch and pikeminnows lol

Oilcruzer

« Reply #284 on: September 04, 2011, 08:12:18 AM »

Ha ha ha ,good one. This is the funniest thing Ive heard all day. Its obvious that you are mis informed, big time
Misinformed?  Maybe, if I was an outside observer. 

Some catch on to what I'm saying.  Don't get me wrong, the capture technique for sockeye is a far cry from "fishing".  It's more like those carnival games where the barker gives you a line and you are guaranteed to hook something.  But is it really any different when only the village idiot can't snag a Pink during a tidal run?

No, it isn't. So given it's on equal footing, and many are catching and releasing for sport, and the skill set to land a Pink is much less than a sock, I raised the question.

The catch and release I agree with, in fact the majority of my fishing is the same.   Its no where near the same, in my mind, as people who fish for Sturgeon, a fish you can't even keep.  That's a protected fish... How is our bothering them, "protecting them"?  I have nothing nice to say about that concept, so I'll stop now... Besides that's trolling off topic anyway.

Back to the question... I respect the fly fishing for pinks... That's talent and sport. 

Would a baitcaster with a 12 lb mono on a trout rod and a small pink flasher or spinner be a successful way to go?  Run that with a small float, weight, and 20 inch lead?  Anyone running that setup?  Similar?  I can see the challenge, sport, and fun in that.