Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon  (Read 245615 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon
« Reply #601 on: January 12, 2012, 08:00:16 AM »

Good article Chris. It kind of points out that there are people who want to do something positive with salmon farming. It's time to get rid of those "dirty fish" loaded with pesticides and chemicals. One only has to get information from EWOS on what they purchase to realize that this company purchases those chemicals and puts it in there feed. I knew someone who use to do the accounting there and they confirmed that.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #603 on: January 12, 2012, 04:57:03 PM »

"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Fisheries and Oceans Canada announced December 2 that after an extensive investigation, they found no evidence that ISA was in B.C. farmed or wild salmon. We are confident their announcement is based on good science and a thorough investigation."

Apparently someone out there trusts DFO and CFIA.  :D  I wonder how much Mainstream paid them to say that?  ???

http://mainstreamcanada.com/mainstream-canada-and-ahousaht-first-nation-renew-protocol-agreement-0
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #605 on: January 12, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »

No, your argument was against feedlot rearing in general and a food system that will fly an orange halfway round the world and on those points I agree.
No, again, that part of my argument was against the argument that these open net salmon farms are necessary to meet the demands for salmon.  Not against the farms themselves, which I explained I am against for the fact that they are farming an exotic species in an open net pens that discharges its environmental outputs directly into the surrounding environment.

Get your numbers right. As I suggested in my previous post, the cumulative economic output of direct, indirect and induced benefits from salmon farming, a sum of $699 million, is approaching the cumulative total from those same sources for the combined output of the commercial salmon harvest, $366 million, and the sport salmon fishing sector, $419 million.

Full Time Equivalent cumulative employment for salmon farming is 2,900, the commercial salmon sector is 2,300 jobs and the sport salmon sector is 3400. All numbers for 2005; sourced from tables on page 2 of the last link in the list I posted previously. While employment in the sport salmon sector is roughly 15% greater, it is also seasonal rather than year round as in the salmon farming sector.

Economic output including multiplier effects for salmon farming is roughly 65% higher than for sport salmon. Regardless of your personal take on the accuracy of the measurement, the numbers are what they are.

The numbers I gave came from the link you provided... so right back at you.

There are many potential causes for the declines in salmon stocks including those I've summarized and many more possibilities including climate change, North Pacific salmon ranching and possibly even a new endemic virus that the newly adopted darling of the reactionary campaign claims to have found. 

Exactly.  We have been struggling for decades with these other potential causes, and then in comes these salmon farms with their exotic species being raised in HUGE concentrations (and getting larger all the time) in open net pens that discharge their environmental outputs directly into the surrounding environment (the same environment that these wild fish, already weakened by these other impacts we have both mentioned) and we are supposed to turn a blind eye to any potential harm they might be doing and accept that no harm will come of it.

To ignore any or all of them and suggest that the blame must lie with salmon farms is to ignore the realities of the situation. It betrays a lack of understanding of the biological dynamic of salmon and a lack of objectivity in analyzing the problem. It is for that reason that i suggested you educate yourself in the biology of both the fish and the environment.

Who said anything about ignoring any or all of the other possible causes and placing the blame solely on salmon farms (another Red Herring)?  Why does it have to be all the salmon farms fault before we can ask them to stop causing the harm they are causing, however small it might be?  So since we accept that the decline in wild fish is caused by more than one activity, we must now accept that they are doomed because we cannot blame any one activity for causing all the harm? That makes a lot of sense.  We fought the forest companies for decades to stop clear cutting right to the banks of salmon streams.  I guess we need to start allowing them to do that again since the salmon declines cannot be blamed solely on them.

Waste ... becomes an input to the food web.

Exactly, it is also frequently covered in antibiotics and pesticides, so any amount is going to impact that food web as the non target species consume it

There are very good reasons why Atlantic Salmon were selected as the primary species for culture. The primary one is that they are not Pacific Salmon, and because of that, have some major differences in disease susceptibility. The benefit that offers is that many pathogens that may cause outbreaks in farms are pathogens that are not troublesome to Pacifics and thus will have minimal effect on the stocks. It also means that they cannot successfully breed with Pacifics. That allows BC to evade the two factors that have caused the greatest damage to wild salmon stocks in Norway, Scotland and even Eastern Canada where the cultured species is also the native species. The import protocols have prevented the importation of any non-native pathogens and the imported Atlantics have not established any successful breeding populations on this coast even though there have been escapes just as they couldn't after all the attempted introductions up to a century ago. An understanding of biology and farm/environment interaction would have helped you to see that.

Just because Atlantics have not been successful yet, it does not mean they will not be successful in the future. A simple rudimentary understanding of biology could have helped you see that.  Also, while second generation wild adults have never been captured yet, there have been documented catches of second generation young, so they are able to breed in BC.  Furthermore, while a successful population has not been established yet, the repeated escape, year after year, of even small numbers of fish (this is documented and the numbers will only grow as the industry expands production faster than it improves the security of the pens) has the same impact as the establishment of a stable population would. 

There are environmental outputs from everything including yourself. That fact in itself is meaningless. It is the volume and nature of those discharges that need to be examined to evaluate their harm or harmlessness. What you call "environmental outputs" is primarily feces, a biodegradable product that actually forms food for other species. It is well dispersed by the currents and tides so that concentration remains very low...

Wow, I think that is exactly the argument Victoria uses to justify the dumping of raw sewage into Georgia Strait.  No one really believes that do they?  Do you really expect me to believe the feces of a farmed fish, a fish penned with thousands of other fish in close quarters, and that receive more than "a very small medication[/chemical] component" in its feed, is harmless to the organisms that consume it?  Where is the scientific proof that this is true? I am afraid I need inarguable proof please.

There will be a very small chemical component from farm use chemicals; the concentration will be very low because of dilution and the need to keep the farm environment habitable by the fish. There will on occasion also be a very small medication component. It will consist of only that small portion of food not eaten.; medication is delivered to fish in feed and when eaten, is metabolized by the fish in order that it may enter the blood stream and serve it's function. Since the amount of medication fed to fish is very small, the residuals in the environment will be minuscule.

Where is the documented proof that this is true?  Where are the scientific studies that showed that the output of these farms is harmless?  Why were the farmers not required to provide the "inarguable proof" that no harm will come from their existence before they were given license to practice.  Why is the burden of proof on those that suspect that the residuals in the environment are not "miniscule" and that the impacts will not be insignificant?  It is very hard to catch a dead salmon that has been killed by a lice bloom on a farm (we tend to only catch the ones that survived), this is why the scientists have a hard time assessing the impact the farms are having.  It is easier to catch the adults returning, but these are obviously the stronger fish that managed to survive, so they are not as useful to the studies are they?

I'm still waiting to hear good reasons why they should not.

Because they are farming an exotic species in open net pens that release their harmful environmental outputs directly into the surrounding environment (something most reasonable people now accept is not a good idea, except of course, for those that stand to save money by dumping their waste).  The fact that you can make a lot of money doing this is the ONLY reason I have heard so far for why we should have them.
Not all those who wander are lost

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #606 on: January 12, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »

Sandman, excellent post, one of the best of the 41 pages on this topic. ;D ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #607 on: January 12, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »

Sandman, excellent post, one of the best of the 41 pages on this topic. ;D ;D ;D

Ditto!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #608 on: January 12, 2012, 07:09:01 PM »

Just because Atlantics have not been successful yet, it does not mean they will not be successful in the future. A simple rudimentary understanding of biology could have helped you see that.

I am no biologist so I guess I qualify to comment.  Over all my years of fishing and reading fishing mags and following fishing I have yet to see a country where wild atlantic salmon populations are doing well, historically.  I have read about extensive efforts to enhance them with little success.  All the while pacific pinks, coho, springs, steelhead and others, have been transplanted successfully in many locations including the great lakes (fresh water only) and recently in New Zealand.  With this in mind I cant help but to think it is unlikely that atlatics could become independent in pacific waters especially when pacifics show an ability to thrive.

Surely someone here could explain why antlatics struggle so much globally.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #609 on: January 12, 2012, 08:07:54 PM »

I am no biologist so I guess I qualify to comment.  Over all my years of fishing and reading fishing mags and following fishing I have yet to see a country where wild atlantic salmon populations are doing well, historically.  I have read about extensive efforts to enhance them with little success.  All the while pacific pinks, coho, springs, steelhead and others, have been transplanted successfully in many locations including the great lakes (fresh water only) and recently in New Zealand.  With this in mind I cant help but to think it is unlikely that atlatics could become independent in pacific waters especially when pacifics show an ability to thrive.

Surely someone here could explain why antlatics struggle so much globally.

I do not know why Atlantics have struggled so much recently, especially with regards to human attempts at colonization, but given that most rivers supporting Atlantics today were colonized after the last Ice Age, is is obvious that their colonizing ability, at least historically, was once substantial.  There is no reason to assume they could not do so again.  While it is clear that Atlantics are not as able as their Pacific cousins to establish themselves in self-sustaining populations, as I have stated already stated, the effects of repeated year-after-year escapes are the same.  Say 100,000 adult Atlantics escape from pens in 2008 (perhaps one or two large scale escape events coupled with many numerous smaller "leaks" from multiple sites) and only a fraction of them are able to successfully spawn and few of these produce young Atlantic smolts (this has been documented already in BC),  even though none of their offspring survive to return to the rivers in subsequent years to reproduce on their own, if another 100,000 (give or take 50,000) escape the next year, and the next, and the next... then the effects are the same.  They do not need to form self sustaining populations to have a negative effect by competing with wild fish for food, spawning habitat, etc.  They do not need to be self sustaining as it is clear the farms, and therefore the source of the escapes, are not going anywhere as long as economic imperatives over ride environmental considerations.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:11:12 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #610 on: January 12, 2012, 09:35:40 PM »

BC farm escapes are on the decline and will likely continue to drop. 

These few  Atlantic events in rivers are very minimal.  If there was a small return somewhere.  Then what.  We already know that they are pour competitors on the river. They struggle globally so who thinks they would really make it. 

Looks to me that is one of the arguments against salmon farms the get bundled in with the other thousand cuts that naysayer keep repeating.  over and over and over again.  I just do not think it will happen.

But I know your opinion.  Maybe when the salmon farms are finally closed you can chose where to make the cuts to our system.  A couple of schools, a hospital, some old folks homes.  Maybe close some sports programs.  Gona be some 500 milion a year to get rid of.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #611 on: January 13, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »

The numbers I gave came from the link you provided... so right back at you.

Then perhaps we need some specific paper and page references that show where you drew your numbers from to confirm that.

Exactly.  We have been struggling for decades with these other potential causes, and then in comes these salmon farms with their exotic species being raised in HUGE concentrations (and getting larger all the time) in open net pens that discharge their environmental outputs directly into the surrounding environment (the same environment that these wild fish, already weakened by these other impacts we have both mentioned) and we are supposed to turn a blind eye to any potential harm they might be doing and accept that no harm will come of it.

No one is suggesting turning a blind eye to any"potential harm they may be doing" and no one is turning a blind eye. The industry practices are constantly monitored and constantly refined to avoid doing "potential harm". The experience with sea lice makes that perfectly clear. A potential problem was identified, a solution developed and implemented and outcomes were monitored to ensure that the solution had the desired effect. The dire warnings about the imminent extinction of the pinks in the Broughton proved to be nothing more than a small boy crying "wolf".

Who said anything about ignoring any or all of the other possible causes and placing the blame solely on salmon farms (another Red Herring)?  Why does it have to be all the salmon farms fault before we can ask them to stop causing the harm they are causing, however small it might be?  So since we accept that the decline in wild fish is caused by more than one activity, we must now accept that they are doomed because we cannot blame any one activity for causing all the harm? That makes a lot of sense.  We fought the forest companies for decades to stop clear cutting right to the banks of salmon streams.  I guess we need to start allowing them to do that again since the salmon declines cannot be blamed solely on them.

I'm sure there is a kernel of wisdom in there somewhere, but on the face of it, it seems rather nonsensical. Farms make all efforts to prevent doing any harm, "however small it may be". If someone could just demonstrate what greater harm they are doing, there is no question that they will do what is required to stop that harm. If we really wanted to knock off an industry, the commercial fishery would be the wisest choice since they contribute the least economic value and remove the largest share of wild stocks, a fact that is incontestable. Leaving them to operate and knocking off the fish farming industry in the face of no evidence of fault for the decline of the wild stocks just isn't logical.

Exactly, it is also frequently covered in antibiotics and pesticides, so any amount is going to impact that food web as the non target species consume it

As has been pointed out to you, drug and chemical treatments occur very infrequently and involve very small quantities. Because of modern feeding technology, another innovation by the industry to reduce it's environmental effect, very little feed escapes the pen. What does escape can be consumed, but is more likely to settle into bottom sediment where it will decompose. The total affected area under pens amounts to several hundred acres on a coastline that consists of hundreds of thousands acres or more. The impact is extremely small.

Just because Atlantics have not been successful yet, it does not mean they will not be successful in the future. A simple rudimentary understanding of biology could have helped you see that.  Also, while second generation wild adults have never been captured yet, there have been documented catches of second generation young, so they are able to breed in BC.  Furthermore, while a successful population has not been established yet, the repeated escape, year after year, of even small numbers of fish (this is documented and the numbers will only grow as the industry expands production faster than it improves the security of the pens) has the same impact as the establishment of a stable population would.

Document those catches of second generation young. I know you and your compatriot reactionaries don't do proof, but I'd like to see some. The important point about your "exotic species" is that it does not breed with the native wild stocks and it doesn't spread disease to them. That is a primary reason it was selected. Another reason is that the cultured strains have been domesticated where Pacifics have not been. Because of that, they are more like docile cattle suited to feedlot life. They are genetically not aggressive competitors that do well in the wild. This isn't the same as introducing grass carp to Louisiana or eels to the Great Lakes. The introduction was reasoned and well managed, the introduced stock is contained and controlled.

Wow, I think that is exactly the argument Victoria uses to justify the dumping of raw sewage into Georgia Strait.  No one really believes that do they?  Do you really expect me to believe the feces of a farmed fish, a fish penned with thousands of other fish in close quarters, and that receive more than "a very small medication[/chemical] component" in its feed, is harmless to the organisms that consume it?  Where is the scientific proof that this is true? I am afraid I need inarguable proof please.

Victoria dumped it's sewage and it was essentially harmless because of the principle of dilution. The greenies got up in arms because it violates environmental principles not to be seen to treat it so it didn't matter if Victoria's sewage discharge actually caused no harm, it became a bone in their craw. The conjured images of turds bobbing around the kelp beds made it great subject for the media, guaranteed to raise hackles and arouse public ire. Never mind that it actually doing no harm at the levels of discharge that were done.

I'll tell you what; it's time to broaden your horizons a bit. I'll give you a little lesson on confirming facts for yourself. Go to Google and type in the search box "metabolization of antibiotics" and start reading. Follow the useful links and start compiling the information you need to consider in order to answer your question. The world doesn't owe you the answers; you've got the responsibility for the matter.

cont'd

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #612 on: January 13, 2012, 12:08:42 AM »

Where is the documented proof that this is true?  Where are the scientific studies that showed that the output of these farms is harmless?  Why were the farmers not required to provide the "inarguable proof" that no harm will come from their existence before they were given license to practice.  Why is the burden of proof on those that suspect that the residuals in the environment are not "miniscule" and that the impacts will not be insignificant?  It is very hard to catch a dead salmon that has been killed by a lice bloom on a farm (we tend to only catch the ones that survived), this is why the scientists have a hard time assessing the impact the farms are having.  It is easier to catch the adults returning, but these are obviously the stronger fish that managed to survive, so they are not as useful to the studies are they?

The first study I ran across on the subject was written by a Dr . Donald Weston of WSU in 1985 and is titled "The Environmental Effects of Floating Mariculture in Puget Sound". It is still available and there have been many studies since then. Once again, the world doesn't owe you the answers; you've got the responsibility for the matter and now you've got the tools too. Good hunting!

Because they are farming an exotic species in open net pens that release their harmful environmental outputs directly into the surrounding environment (something most reasonable people now accept is not a good idea, except of course, for those that stand to save money by dumping their waste).  The fact that you can make a lot of money doing this is the ONLY reason I have heard so far for why we should have them.

We've covered the largely biodegradable constituents of those outputs and the minuscule amount of unmetabolized drug and chemical residue that actually finds it's way into the environment, the extremely small exposure of coastal waters to them and the very minor risk that they represent. I think reasonable people would say that although there are some outputs, they don't appear to be causing consequential damage. I think they would also say that although the Atlantics are an imported species, there were good reasons for selecting them and there haven't been any negative effects that have shown after the 25 years they have been here in the province. I think reasonable people would appreciate the magnitude of the economic benefits the industry provides the province and I think reasonable people would realize that under the current circumstances, it would be a far wiser choice to shut down commercial fishing than the fish farm business. The impact on the stocks of wild harvest is undeniable; removing it would have an immediate and 100% certain beneficial effect on salmon numbers.

We have good reasons for the presence of the industry. The only reasons I have seen presented here against it are of "the sky is falling" variety.

All of your arguments against farmed Atlantics are predicated on "maybe" and "might do" and "could cause" and "potential effect". You're proposing to eliminate an economic driver that contributes some $700 million annually in total economic output on the basis of some fears that you have that are based on very little understanding and a great deal of misinformation you have derived from media reporting of an organized campaign to impede the salmon farming industry. That you claim that a deeper understanding of both the biology underlying the issue and the nature and practices of farm operations is not required to know that farms are bad is clear statement that you are not looking for any further information. You've obviously arrived at your answer already. That answer isn't based on the 30 year successful history of the industry or indeed on any real event past or present. It is based on what someone has told you might happen.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:51:10 AM by absolon »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #613 on: January 13, 2012, 08:19:46 AM »

Well, I was going to give absolon a pat on the back for another great post but I won't as that would be following the lead of Chris and af :D
Seems the only posters to this thread have determined their positions ... looking forward to the next round of bs by Alex to keep this discussion going ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #614 on: January 13, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »

Well, I was going to give absolon a pat on the back for another great post but I won't as that would be following the lead of Chris and af :D
Seems the only posters to this thread have determined their positions ... looking forward to the next round of bs by Alex to keep this discussion going ;)
You just did. ;D ;D