Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon  (Read 245668 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon
« Reply #555 on: January 09, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »

That's an interesting question. I've wondered why Staniford pulled up stakes in Scotland and moved to BC when there is still plenty of work for him to do back home. What has occurred to me is that there isn't the same amount of third party grant money available in Scotland as there is here. Even though Staniford claims to be unemployed, he is able to travel fairly freely, fund a number of websites and lives in a not inexpensive part of the province. Donations are a possibility, but even the much higher profiled Morton has trouble putting together $50k in donations annually so I suspect he raises considerably less through website begging. None of his associations publish sources of funds, but I think it's fairly clear that he has found a teat of some sort to latch on to, one worth leaving Scotland for. Should he lose in court, I suspect there will be problems collecting, and if Mainstream is awarded costs, I suspect he will skip town. Collecting civil penalties is not quite as easy as collecting criminal fines and if he has any assets, with his history, he will have learned to protect them.

He has already been convicted of this once. One has to wonder why he would venture into such territory once again.  I would say because it suits his cause and he personally/financially will not suffer.

Media blitz coming soon.  Chris, this means 3 or 4 clicks of your mouse.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #556 on: January 09, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »

Media blitz coming soon.  Chris, this means 3 or 4 clicks of your mouse.
yes!!!! ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #557 on: January 09, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »

He has already been convicted of this once. One has to wonder why he would venture into such territory once again.  I would say because it suits his cause and he personally/financially will not suffer.

From Canadian Press" In June of that year he issued two news releases that questioned Tofino's Creative Salmon Company Ltd.'s use of malachite green, an antibiotic and suspected carcinogen, on market fish.

Creative Salmon sued Staniford for defamation, and in January 2007, a Supreme Court of B.C. judge ordered him to pay $85,000 in damages in legal fees. But Staniford appealed and won a new trial. Then, the Supreme Court of Canada said it would not hear a subsequent appeal by the company".

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #558 on: January 09, 2012, 03:47:15 PM »

3 things:

Creative never used malachite green.

Creative was not using antibiotics on harvest fish.

The court did not say they would not see it again.  Creative dropped it because there was a change in the law which was reason they lost the appeal.

Guess it is safe to say that it is totally legal for stanford and others to just lie or say what they please regardless of what the truth is.

And don't forget the part where he fled the country to avoid paying the fine.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:50:02 PM by aquapaloosa »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #559 on: January 09, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »

I hope that fish gets FRIED!!!  I wonder if Stanford will wear one of his super hero suits to court.

Regardless of the outcome I expect that the anti's are going to (they have already started) turn this case into a david and goliath situation as much as they can.  They are already talking about freedom of speech and bla bla bla which detracts from the facts.  I suspect that on the evening of the first day of court there will be allot of press releases from the morton camp conjuring up all kinds of hand picked crap prematurely before all the fact are out.  Wait for it. Its is coming.

If stanford does get fried I don't think he will pay the $125000 in fines personally himself.  That amount is just a drop in the bucket from the funding available and well worth the media coverage it will receive. It is by far the cheapest media coverage available. Its kinda a loose loose for Mainstream.

Lots of "don't forget to donate" on some of the recent posts.

You probably meant lose lose......  wasn't going to correct you but, at least you know one person read what you posted.   ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #560 on: January 09, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »

Regardless of the outcome I expect that the anti's are going to (they have already started) turn this case into a david and goliath situation as much as they can.  They are already talking about freedom of speech and bla bla bla which detracts from the facts.  I suspect that on the evening of the first day of court there will be allot of press releases from the morton camp conjuring up all kinds of hand picked crap prematurely before all the fact are out.  Wait for it. Its is coming.

If stanford does get fried I don't think he will pay the $125000 in fines personally himself.  That amount is just a drop in the bucket from the funding available and well worth the media coverage it will receive. It is by far the cheapest media coverage available. Its kinda a loose loose for Mainstream.

Lots of "don't forget to donate" on some of the recent posts.

.... and you accuse the anti fish farm proponents of dreaming up conspiracy theories. Staniford can't even afford a half decent lawyer...  and can only afford to call one witness.

It's a risky move for a big corporation to bully a little guy. The media publicity will not be good for the feedlots. In the end if they don't drop the suit, they may win this battle yet lose("loose") the war.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:08:28 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #561 on: January 09, 2012, 05:13:18 PM »

Apparently the Scottish bullying exercise in 2001 never made it to court, so it's hard to believe he was convicted.   ???

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #562 on: January 09, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »

You probably meant lose lose......  wasn't going to correct you but, at least you know one person read what you posted.   Grin

ya, lose lose.

And yes the one person who should read it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:43:02 PM by aquapaloosa »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #563 on: January 09, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »

A well written article by Staniford  http://www.eurocbc.org/page205.html

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #564 on: January 09, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »

Apparently the Scottish bullying exercise in 2001 never made it to court, so it's hard to believe he was convicted.   ???

Actually, the incident happened in 2004 and involved a press release issued by Staniford containing statements that were not true.

The press release can be seen here: http://icsf.net/icsf2006/ControllerServlet?handler=EXTERNALNEWS&code=getDetails&id=16345&userType=&fromPage=

The lawyers letter to Staniford requesting correction and the response from Staniford's representative can be seen here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:H25Q0V4zjqwJ:www.salmonfarmmonitor.org/documents/westerross.doc+scotland+salmon+staniford+legal+-bc+-mainstream+-creative&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESh5fdpmozkd_3aSLbomhxt80oYRK14fccbeBqxuDlJpObmEgbDM2UxsJH9EjQo_reNH0abGO5EfFUEHsXxmuW2Y18EyHlmhgRZNVE3YF9JzVrKTXFMWmByi3Dhg52Z_tDh1JtHK&sig=AHIEtbQPpBlHmDC9O1o4ZyiIoLCHnRnWuw

In a nutshell, Staniford wasn't threatened, he was asked to recant untrue comments. He agreed to comply and blamed someone else for the error.

Hardly a case of bullying.

Edit: just to note that although Staniford agreed to correct the press release, it is clearly apparent from reading the web archived copy that he didn't do that. The archived copy still contains the lie. It was shortly after this incident that Staniford left Scotland.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:41:57 PM by absolon »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #565 on: January 09, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »

Apparently Staniford has been bullied many times. The incident I referenced was when "Staniford said he faced his first legal threat in 2001 from a Scottish salmon farming company, but no trial ever took place".

Staniford has been very effective in revealing the short cuts that the salmon farming industry has been taking in their rush to generate profits for their shareholders without regard for the environment or in years past, people's health. He has called them to come clean on the use of malachite green, high levels of dioxin in their salmon, and the fact that it takes 3-4 kg of fish to grow 1 kg of farmed salmon. He has warned about the pollution that fish farms generate from the chemicals and salmon waste as well as the harm to wild salmon from the sea lice.

As a result governments around the world are requiring the feedlots to become more responsible in looking after the environment as well as the safety of the product they produce. The industry has obviously come a long way but until they become land based the industry will continue to pollute our environment. People like Staniford, Morton and others are critical to making the industry safe.

Don Staniford is seen as a formidable opponent of the fish feedlots and as such is going to continue to be bullied by them in an attempt to muzzle him.

A small correction, should Staniford be found guilty, the issue affecting Chris and any other person who disseminates Staniford's defamations would be secondary liability otherwise known as indirect infringement, not vicarious liability. Whether the material is otherwise available or not, I suspect that secondary liability would arise because the material was directly provided by Staniford and more importantly, includes his "editorial" comments, and I use that description very loosely.

I doubt that any of you reactionaries have either the inclination or the wherewithal to source the material on your own. I have to say that in all my years of watching these discussions, I have yet to see any anti-farm information that didn't originate in the drainpipes that flow from Saniford's or Morton's or any of the other activist websites. I have also yet to see any reactionary rationally summarize their objections in their own words. It is inevitably a steady flow of cut and paste of other people's comments, and it is almost inevitably followed by a duck and cover by the cut and paster when asked to explain their personal thoughts on the matter. There is a rare exception to that rule and it involves people who simply make up their own facts in response; know what I mean, Vern?

You have come on here purporting to be an expert on aquaculture..... and now you seem to be implying that you are an expert on legal matters. Your arrogance is unbelievable! If you stuck to the topic and provided input your attitude would be tolerable. Instead you belittle people and now you are threatening them. It may make you important in your own mind, it does nothing for your reputation on this board.

It does seem to be the fish farm industry's way to approach any adversity.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #566 on: January 09, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »

AF,  Could you remind me what you are specialized at.  I forget easily but if I had to guess I would say de-marketing activist.  Correct me if I am wrong since your the only guy reading my post.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #567 on: January 09, 2012, 08:48:05 PM »

AF,  Could you remind me what you are specialized at.  I forget easily but if I had to guess I would say de-marketing activist.  Correct me if I am wrong since your the only guy reading my post.

I'm just a fisherman who wants to be able to keep fishing for wild salmon....

By the way I appreciate your humor.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #568 on: January 09, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »

Do you have a job or a profession?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #569 on: January 09, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »

I'm a CFP (Certified Financial Planner).