Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon  (Read 245534 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon
« Reply #390 on: December 19, 2011, 07:56:52 AM »

Last day of hearings on dwindling B.C. salmon stocks to focus on deadly virus
  By Sean Sullivan, The Province December 18, 2011  Comment 5 •Story•Photos ( 1 )
  The Cohen commission, which concludes Monday, is expected to hear about a deadly virus that may have played a role in the dramatic decline of the Fraser River's wild sockeye salmon population.Photograph by: Ric Ernst, PNG FilesHearings for a federal inquiry into Fraser River sockeye salmon are to conclude Monday as lawyers are expected to grill government scientists about detection of a deadly virus in the Pacific Northwest.

The Cohen commission, which is investigating the dramatic decline of the Fraser’s wild sockeye salmon population, was extended by three days this month after revelations this fall that B.C. salmon had tested positive for a deadly virus that has decimated farmed Atlantic salmon stocks elsewhere.

Researchers at Simon Fraser University in October announced evidence of the infectious salmon anemia virus (ISAv) was found in two of 48 sockeye smolts collected in B.C.’s Central Coast. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency later denied the findings, saying it had been unable to confirm the virus through its testing.

On Friday, the commission heard that scientists who identified ISAv in wild salmon — Fred Kiberge, a world expert on ISA at the University of Prince Edward Island, and Kristi Miller, who runs a DFO molecular genetics research lab — have felt ostracized and under attack since making waves with their research.

“It doesn’t seem that the government wants it known that there’s a virus,” said Craig Orr, the direction of Watershed Watch Salmon Society, on Sunday. “They’ve been really fighting back against this perception that ISAv has been found in British Columbia.”

Despite the damage ISAv has caused to farmed stocks, there is no evidence the virus harms wild salmon.

On Friday, Miller also caused a stir when she announced the first finding of a deadly virus that causes Heart and Skeletal Muscle Inflammation (HSMI) in farmed Clayoquot Sound chinook salmon. Some of the fish, which were studied under DFO funding, also tested positive for ISAv.

The final day of the Cohen commission hearings begins at 10 a.m. at the Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue.

ssullivan@theprovince.com

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/technology/Last+hearings+dwindling+salmon+stocks+focus+deadly+virus/5879826/story.html#ixzz1gzqqWkA5

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #392 on: December 19, 2011, 08:45:31 AM »

http://www.superheroes4salmon.org/sites/default/files/files/Exh%202083%20-%2001_%20EV_CAN_0023_011000_CAN174359.pdf

I just read this e-mail sent from DFO to CFIA Nov 27th, 2009 and I am in absolute shock!!  :o  :o  :o   In the e-mail DFO states clearly that ISAV has been found in samples that were tested in the DFO labs in Prince Edward Island. These labs are recognized by CFIA as the National Reference Lab for ISAV.

Seems pretty clear that ISAV was found in a DFO lab in 2009 and CFIA was made aware of it.

Didn't DFO and CFIA come out with a public announcement just a few weeks ago that stated that ISAV has never been found in Canada?  :o  Does this mean that ISAV is in Canada and DFO and CFIA have been lying to us and covering this up??   :o

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #393 on: December 19, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »

Actually no, they didn't. It would be rather silly of them to deny something that is common knowledge.

A little research to inform yourself before posting seems to be in order. You could start by entering into Google "Bay of Fundy 1996 ISA".

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #394 on: December 19, 2011, 09:48:02 AM »

Actually no, they didn't. It would be rather silly of them to deny something that is common knowledge.

A little research to inform yourself before posting seems to be in order. You could start by entering into Google "Bay of Fundy 1996 ISA".

Is that the best spin you can come up with??     ::)  ;D

ISA was found in the Bay of Fundy in 1996. The memo from DFO to CFIA is dated 2009.....   Bit of a time lag, don't you think??

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #395 on: December 19, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »

All I can do here is shake my head; I can't make heads nor tails out of your last two posts. I haven't a clue what you are trying to say.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #397 on: December 19, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »

Apparently someone does.

Could you post a link to the statement DFO and CFIA made claiming that the ISAv has never been found in Canada.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:59:15 PM by absolon »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #398 on: December 19, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »

HMSI virus is worse than ISA virus because it is proven to be transferable from farmed to wild salmon. It is present in BC waters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwBcKqpN2E&feature=related

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #399 on: December 19, 2011, 02:02:25 PM »

Just to catch your eye and point it at the edit to my last post.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #400 on: December 19, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »

Apparently someone does.

Could you post a link to the statement DFO and CFIA made claiming that the ISAv has never been found in Canada.

You could start by entering into Google "Bay of Fundy 1996 ISA"    "DFO lies".    :D

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #401 on: December 19, 2011, 02:42:03 PM »

Thanks for an enlightening conversation.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #403 on: December 19, 2011, 11:59:21 PM »

For those who prefer their information unfiltered and without all the extra sugar, the transcript of the Dec 15th Cohen hearing has been leaked and is available for viewing and saving here:

http://www.superheroes4salmon.org/sites/default/files/files/Transcript%2015%20December%202011.pdf.

It includes testimony by Miller, Kibenge, Gagne and Nylund and for those with the patience and the interest, is worth the read.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #404 on: December 20, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »

Hello All

I have given an overview of a little what I learned at the ISA virus hearings of the Cohen Commission on my blog. I will post more later, but this is describes why government cannot be trusted with salmon farms.

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com

http://www.salmonaresacred.org

I hope all of you are enjoying yuletide season,

Alexandra Morton