Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you eat bass?  (Read 6472 times)

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Do you eat bass?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 07:14:06 AM »

Wrong-I know of two other areas in southern BC that I have fished for walleye near my family cabin for the past 10 years. Learnt about them from an old fellow that I never see anymore, the only other guys I have seen on the systems are friends of his. Such obvious spots but the interweb hasn't given them up yet.

Yeah, Christina lk and lower Kettle has some but it is same source of them( invasive US fish) and fishing is spotty.
 Lower Colombia from Trial  to US border is only about 15km more or less and has plenty of wild camping spots and a campground by the Beaver Creek, and foot access to good fishing spots.
Trout fly fishing is fantastic and walleye is a little tasty bonus.
 I fished alone last weekend....a few km above Wanetta

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:04 AM »

Yes the trout fishing was great, largest one was measured to 25 inches with plenty between the 15-22 inch range-

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »

Have captured and eaten small mouth bass from Georgeon bay, northern Ontario. Tasted wonderful! Have caught and eaten Walleye from Calling Lake,northern Alberta. Both were great,but I would have to say,the pickerel is the tastier of the two. :P

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »

Have captured and eaten small mouth bass from Georgeon bay, northern Ontario. Tasted wonderful! Have caught and eaten Walleye from Calling Lake,northern Alberta. Both were great,but I would have to say,the pickerel is the tastier of the two. :P

I doubt pickerel tastes good as it is a pike family from eastern Canada. Non of them in the western part of the country.

dave c

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »

. Will love to try fish them. What sort of lure or bait for them? Does a trout rod work if casted from shore?
Grew up in Ontario and fished for Walleye for many years.  They will certainly take a spoon or spinner,  most popular method trolling though was with a worm harness.  Its a small spinner (various colors), followed by beads and three snelled hooks. A dew worm is hooked on so it is straight behind the spinner.  Check regs where u go as i doubt this method is legal. Another killer method used for still fishing from a boat or ice fishing is to use a Rapala jig.  These are weighted with a treble suspended under it to which you attach minnows.  Again check regs.  Walleye love minnows.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »

I doubt pickerel tastes good as it is a pike family from eastern Canada. Non of them in the western part of the country.
Pickeril is what the Albertans like to call Walleye...and Pike also known as Jacks done lousiana style for shore lunch tastes great!