Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you eat bass?  (Read 6470 times)

coyotezh

Do you eat bass?
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:25:55 PM »

never tried and how is the taste? :-\ will it taste better than walleye?

Tuckster

Re: Do you eat bass?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »

Bass is not better than Walleye.

But out of cooler water, Bass is pretty good eating. Just avoid eating bass that come out of swimming pool temp water, you run the risks of parasites.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:32:15 PM »

Got to compare smallmouth and walleye at the table this weekend and there is no comparison. Walleye is honestly amazing but I am not saying that smallmouth out of a cool river does not taste good. Both battered and fried with a little lemon on top taste really good, but nothing can beat fresh caught walleye. I hate largemouth as the one time I have tried it, it was mushy as they tend to hang out around the muck in warm waters, the only smallmouth I eat is out of cool rivers or colder lakes, but walleye is just on another level. Sorry for the quality, was a very rushed picture as my hands were dirty from picking the fish apart and I did not let my phone focus.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:34:51 PM by BCfisherman97 »

1son

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 12:13:44 AM »

Damn must be good eating you destroyed that fish ;D

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 12:22:39 AM »

There was 3 total by the end of dinner, plus some nice trout. Fishing all day tends to make you just a tad hungry.  ;D

zap brannigan

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 12:36:43 AM »

I don't but I know the gulls do.

coyotezh

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:01:43 AM »

Do you mind tell me where you hunt for walleye and bass?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »

Do you mind tell me where you hunt for walleye and bass?

For bass, there's plenty of locations. Check this out:

http://www.anglingbc.com/index.cfm/page/86/Places.html

For walleye, it will be a long drive. The Columbia River in the Koots is a good start.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »

Columbia from US border to Castelgar is the only place in southern BC to catch them. With generous limit of  eight and possession of  sixteen fish. I actually fished for them last weekend  above Wanetta dam. I got my limit in about 2 hours. It really is super tasting fish.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »

How long a drive to that dam? Do you fish off from boat, Tadpole? Is there camp site or motel there? If I need to take a day or two off, may consider that. I once tasted a walleye at my friend's home in Edmonton and he got his fish from a lake. Not sure whether it is a cold lake around the Rockies or the warmer one in the flat plain around Edmonton. It was very delicious though. Will love to try fish them. What sort of lure or bait for them? Does a trout rod work if casted from shore?

jimmywits

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:50:09 AM »

Bass are delicious, I have never had walleye. I still recall the first one I bonked and took to my folks house on St Mary's lake shortly after they retired.
Dad and I were sitting across from each other at the breakfast table and we both took our first bite and looked at each other with genuine surprise at how delicious it was!

trot

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »

Columbia from US border to Castelgar is the only place in southern BC to catch them. With generous limit of  eight and possession of  sixteen fish. I actually fished for them last weekend  above Wanetta dam. I got my limit in about 2 hours. It really is super tasting fish.

Wrong-I know of two other areas in southern BC that I have fished for walleye near my family cabin for the past 10 years. Learnt about them from an old fellow that I never see anymore, the only other guys I have seen on the systems are friends of his. Such obvious spots but the interweb hasn't given them up yet.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 02:53:47 PM »

Yeah I know of another area that holds walleye, and yes I was fishing the Wanetta dam area last weekend as well, may have bumped into you.

Trout_Bum

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 09:48:20 PM »

Never tried walleye or bass. But was wondering, how do the bass from the LM taste? Have caught many from Katzie marsh in Pitt meadows but have never kept one.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 11:58:02 PM »

Those bass in the marshland of Pitt Meadow taste quite muddy the meat is to too soft to the liking.