Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: capilino fishing  (Read 6080 times)

river hunter

capilino fishing
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:22:53 AM »

Are any coho being caught under the lions gate from shore? Thinking bout heading out there today and give it a try.

river hunter

Re: capilino fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »

It was nice out. Fresh air. no fish. :D

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 08:51:33 PM »

no fish. :D

That's why they call it fishing and not catching  ;)

Thanks for the report!
A rig out of water catches no fish.

alan701

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »

I'm going tomorrow close to the hatchery for my first time. Well see how it goes.

garumba

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »

Hello! Newbie here looking to get more into doing some fishing on the cap...

Are there any tips/tricks for someone looking to start out? I've been reading all over the website for information, does anyone recommend any good books for getting going?

As well, would anyone recommend the location along river between the Marine drive bridge and the highway 1 overpass for just getting out and getting the hang of things? I don't really want to get in the way of anyone for my first few times out until i get the hang of what i'm doing. Any info would be appreciated!

thanks,
jeff

joy-of-fishing

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »

yea a good place to try is the walking and see for your self spot.

salmonlover

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:18:59 PM »

Hello! Newbie here looking to get more into doing some fishing on the cap...

Are there any tips/tricks for someone looking to start out? I've been reading all over the website for information, does anyone recommend any good books for getting going?

As well, would anyone recommend the location along river between the Marine drive bridge and the highway 1 overpass for just getting out and getting the hang of things? I don't really want to get in the way of anyone for my first few times out until i get the hang of what i'm doing. Any info would be appreciated!

thanks,
jeff

just google

capilano river regional park map has a list of all the pools on the river.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »

I will be out there from 7- dark so I'll let you know how I do. If you see me say hello, I'll be chucking metal and fly fishing.

alan701

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »

Today was my first time. Went to cable pool and saw lots of fish but they were not biting at all for anyone. I guess thats what they mean by lock-jawed coho.

garumba

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »

just google

capilano river regional park map has a list of all the pools on the river.

Thanks!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »

Also I have uploaded the Capilano Regional Park Map to a program called "Maprika" for smartphones/iphones if anyone would like to try it.

katfish

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

I fished cable on Sunday and asked how do you land fish.  Guy told me to climb down cliff with ropes.  Well I am almost fell off the cliff trying to do this.  I was dangling from the rope after I lost my footing and smashed my shoulder.  I recommend not fishing from cliff but going down stairs and fishing from below unless you have a death wish.  Also use stairs and not the ropes if you must fish from up top.

Fishing was slow with roe.  Some guys had better luck with fly.  Maybe they were flossing.  There were a bunch of chromed stacked  in the pool but noit not biting.  Spooked I am guessing from angling pressure...  Fly flossing is most productive but no so ethical IMHO.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »

No fly flossing, all fish would chase your fly, you can see them going after it and swinging at it. You just have to time the windows where the fish start to get aggressive. All of a sudden the fish started jumping everywhere and then started to hit, then turned off like the flick of a switch. Its all about hitting it just right.

I climb to the left edge of the cliff, put my rod as far down as I can so my line gets stuck, then go around, down the stairs and unhook my line. Play the fish from the stairs and land it. Climbing down with the ropes under the platform is tough and I wouldn't try it

alan701

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »

I saw someone using a telescopic net.. That could work. Its a tough spot. I was getting tired then i slipped and bonked my shin.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 10:08:19 PM »

Pretty tough flossing fish in a deep slow moving pool like Cable pool.  Anyone fly fishing Cable pool is likely using short leaders on very fast sinking tips.  I have watched fish follow a fly right up to the surface before turning back.  Climbing down to the rocks is tricky, but if you are careful, it is the best place to fish and land fish.  Hooking one up top and trying to climb down with a fish on the line is just silly.  That said, do not bother if you are not used to such activity.
Not all those who wander are lost