Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: water proof ipod touch case  (Read 5423 times)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
water proof ipod touch case
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »

i was wondering were i could buy a water proof case for my ipod touch. after losing my walkie talkie while on keith wilson bridge i want to be prepared just in case.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: water proof ipod touch case
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »

leave it at home or in your car is your best bet. I have a camera wrist cord on my cell phone because i have dropped 3 into the water so far  >:(

do you really wanna drop it in the water in a case that floats.....so the guy downstream gets a new toy ??  ;D remind me to start fishing downstream from you  ;) LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:38 PM »

i dont know where you will be able to get one of those.  Best bet would be to leave it in your truck, or just not bring it  ;)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:06:18 PM »

if you leave it in your car ,you may want to get a safe instead.

fly fisher

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »

leave it at home or in your car is your best bet. I have a camera wrist cord on my cell phone because i have dropped 3 into the water so far  >:(

do you really wanna drop it in the water in a case that floats.....so the guy downstream gets a new toy ??  ;D remind me to start fishing downstream from you  ;) LOL
i want a case that i will keep it inside my waders attached to a zinger or string.

slick vic

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

put it in a condom. i've seen people did it.
only brought it up cuz its funny, but they say it works.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »

I would say to just leave something like that at home, I mean its not like its a phone or something. I tried taking an MP3 player with me when i first got one and found it took away from the peace and quiet of my surroundings, I enjoy my days more without music blaring in my ears  :)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:03:26 AM »

Go the apple store or future shop/best buy...they may have such an item.
But I will agree with the others, just leave it at home. I found having an ipod on me while working the river a pain in the butt.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 06:39:15 AM »

http://www.pelican.ca/cases_detail.php?Case=i1015

Pelican makes the best waterproof cases  :)

That being said I would agree with what others have said here. Listening to an mP3 player takes away from your experience of being in nature. You have the sense of hearing, why not use it to enjoy the sounds of nature since you are outside.

fish fishburn

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:52:46 AM »

I hear a loon, yep its a loon hehe.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:20:46 AM »

The problem I see is not waterproofing the ipod itself but the area the headphones come out of it.   You could always throw the ipod in a ziplock bag when not listening to it. 

I generally don't listen to music when fishing but if I do I just put the music (MP3's) on my cellphone and play it out of the speaker.  Not sure if ipods have a speaker or not...

fly fisher

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:46:24 AM »

The problem I see is not waterproofing the ipod itself but the area the headphones come out of it.   You could always throw the ipod in a ziplock bag when not listening to it. 

I generally don't listen to music when fishing but if I do I just put the music (MP3's) on my cellphone and play it out of the speaker.  Not sure if ipods have a speaker or not...

i want to use it for pics and stuff. and a tide chart.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »

Just get an otter box defender and hope you don't drop it in the water.  It would likely survive a quick dunk, I know mine has.

The other product you can try is a little bag they make for kayakers etc at MEC, its got a clear side so you can put a small cam or your touch in there, no problem, for about 25 bucks.  JUST MAKE SURE you seal it properly and nothing is caught in the gaskets.  I killed my wifes camera taking underwater shots because the little tiny strap on her camera was barely caught in the gasket.  Aqua-lock or something?

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »

The problem I see is not waterproofing the ipod itself but the area the headphones come out of it. 

I guess you did not check out my link? http://www.pelican.ca/cases_detail.php?Case=i1015 A Pelican case which has an external headphone jack.

The other product you can try is a little bag they make for kayakers etc at MEC, its got a clear side so you can put a small cam or your touch in there, no problem, for about 25 bucks.  JUST MAKE SURE you seal it properly and nothing is caught in the gaskets.  I killed my wifes camera taking underwater shots because the little tiny strap on her camera was barely caught in the gasket.  Aqua-lock or something?

Aquapac http://www.aquapac.net/
I looked at a few of these Aquapacs when I was searching for a waterproof case to store my Blackberry in while on the river. I was not satisfied by the two locking latches which are suppose to keep the gasket opening sealed. There have been many reviews  by users who have had electronic equipment ruined during a full submersion with these Aquapac pouches.

I went with the Pelican 1010 micro case for my Blackberry because they are "Water resistant, crushproof, and dust proof". The only drawback is that you cannot use the your electronic equipment while it is in the case. They are easy to access with only a single latch on the micro size cases.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »

just use a ziploc bag...